Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 April 2005
My brothers introduced me to this album within a year or two of its release, when I was about six or seven: seeing it now on CD available on Amazon brings back very fond memories of the original vinyl.
The original album cover - with its gate fold shield on one side and the warrior on horseback poised above a precipitous drop on the other - was second only in distinctiveness to ELP's scary Geiger cover to Brain Salad Surgery.
The music itself also made a big impact - I can still recall the hooks vividly 20 years or so after last hearing the tunes: Kings of Speed sums up hard, simple 70s rock with that classic thick sound. Magnu has the terrific ambience, driving riff, delayed vox, and eastern-tinged electric fiddle melodies that make it so memorable. Spiral Galaxy has that ultra fat synth sound and drive, I would still play it at the right kind of disco. The spoken bits were...weird and met with a certain amount of derision at the time, but added a certain drama to proceedings!
When I was able to buy my own records (in the mid 80s), it was the quality of this album sent me to explore Hawkwind's back catalogue and contemporary releases. I found some interesting material on most of the albums, but the earlier stuff seemed too weird and the later material was prone to inconsistency, so my tastes evolved. On a camping trip with my two brothers quoted a Hawkwind roadie who ventured "Hey man, that was one of the best albums they ever made" - I would more than agree.
The instrumentation and production on this album sounded exquisite played back on the modest record players at our disposal (we were too poor and ignorant to go in for 'hi-fi separates'). I would second (third?) those calling for a remastered version: the Strawbs discs on A&M from the same era have translated extremely well to CD and imho sound every bit as full as my memory of the originals, so a similar quality remastered issue of Warrior would be most welcome.
If you are interested in the heavier side of 70s rock music, and are not prejudiced against electronica, and don't mind the odd bit of leftfield weirdness, then this should make an interesting addition to your collection - highly recommended.
- Greg
on 12 May 2003
Essentially based on the Eternal Champion Mythology created by the author Michael Moorcock, Warrior on the Edge of time is on a par with Hall of the Mountain Grill as one of the best two Hawkwind Albums.
It is a bit strange, with each track interspersed with interlinking dialogue from Michael Moorcock himself. But stick with it. This album grows on you and it is difficult not to stop yourself repeating several tracks and experiencing the icy shiver as either guitar or synth slices up your backbone.
It is not easy to get hold of a copy. If you have one, treasure it.
Sometimes a classic album has to be reissued .........on its own,you dont want it diluted with bonus tracks/outakes/half baked live tracks,you dont need it remixed by someone else who mixes it the way 'they' think it should have sounded( it might be an improvement,it might not)...So having weighed it all up,i went for the single disc version(i may purchase the 3 disc set at a later stage).

Guess what,i think i've made the right decision,this remaster is superb,the sound just flows from the speakers,'Magnu','Assault n Battery/The Golden Void' all sound perfect,has 'The Demented Man' ever sounded better? 'Kings of Speed ' just rocks and the 1 bonus track 'Motorhead is perfecttly placed at the end and as such is unobtrusive.

Packaging is fine nothing spectacular,that will be left to the other editions i would imagine,decent liner notes/interview etc,as for the sound quality,well to my(admittedly 35 years of gig damaged ears) it sounds fine,up loud ,down low.its fine,i'm very happy with it.

5 stars all the way,rediscover Hawkwinds finest hour.
on 26 December 2008
This is my favourite Hawkwind record ever and showcases a classic line-up at the height of their abilities with great bass, drums, guitar, sax, synth and violin, the production is also excellent and crisp so it all sounds amazing too.

The original album came with a double gatefold sleeve with a shield on one side and the warrior on his horse on the other. A shame CD can't do this but in terms of the music it's impossible to get this on playable vinyl. As a CD reissue this comes out rarely and goes very quickly so get it while you can!

Assault & Battery is a great opener which bridges to the Golden Void and together thay are fantastic.
Opa-Loka is probably the first ever piece of trance music and inspired a whole genre that Hawkwind never got much credit for.
Magnu is my favourite track with a superb intro and this song really belts it out. Even at 8 minutes it got the occasional airing on Radio 1 (by Tommy Vance?).
Spiral Galaxy 28948 is just waiting for Hollywood to use it in a sci-fi epic although the intro is so dark it makes me think Ozzy!
Then we have the Lemmy songs that he also did as Motorhead, I'm sure he plays the bass like a rhythm guitar.

So if you like the band or other progressive rock bands this is a must have and a great place to start.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2013
I received the 2 CD + DVD "Warrior" this morning and have just sampled the 2 CDs. My Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder player will sadly NOT play the DVD!
CD 1, which is the straight remaster initially, sounds spine tinglingly impressive, but, after a half hour of playing, I had to reduce the volume because of ear fatigue.
The reproduction is just a tad too sharp and bright for an easy listen.
BUT....CD 2, the Steve Wilson Remix, well that's THE... PERFECT mix as it should have been on the first take.
Smoother, more drive, wonderful thudding bass, vocals better placed, MUCH better, more balanced sound stage and NO ear fatigue. Wonderful Stuff!
I have found, yet another musical Holy Grail, if only on the 2nd CD, so I am giving this release 5 stars.
I am extremely glad and relieved that I changed my original order for the single CD to this box set which includes the Steve Wilson CD, as I would have been less than happy with the
other CD on it's own.
55 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2013
I have been following Hawkwind since the mid 70's and have seen them live pretty well every year since then and bought each release but for me I have always been stuck in the 70's era.
I have been fortunate to have this for years on record, then the original Dojo cd and the limited edition Griffin release. This new version completes in my opinion the amazing 70's era releases.
The remaster is so much more dynamic and its incredible to hear the extra minute or so on Magnu. All the life of the original lp is back and some. The extra tracks and a extra dimesion and interest.
For me the Steve Wilson is a bit of a mixed bag. It does add additional depth and weight to the original but seems to over do some instruments and put them to far forward in the mix. I also think that it has made it just a bit too soft although I accept the original is a bit harsh.
Despite all this I still think it is a brilliant job on both discs and worth evey penny. I have not tried the dvd as not set up for 5.1. Roll on Warrior On The Edge Of Time at Bournemouth in August.
on 2 June 2013
These are the 2 things that struck me when I heard this; crisp, clear cymbals on the stereo mix & space between the instruments on the surround sound mix.

A (near) 40 year LP is given a totally new lease of life & has been remixed by someone who obviously cares.

I got this for my 50th birthday & I'm very happy
on 5 October 2010
For those who of you who can remember Penthouse Forum, "I have never written a review before but..."

And I haven't and I'll be brief. This is not a review of the music. Anyone looking at this knows the music. If not, buy it! This review is about the most recent (& I mean recent) reissue of this album. I have been chasing this album for months! (A bit of a Moorcock tragic). It's been advertised second hand for hundreds of pounds. I own remastered versions of Hawkwind, Space Ritual & Hall of the Mountain Grill but never could grab the same quality for WOTEOT. Apparently the master tapes couldn't be found. This re-issue is fantastic. Crystal clear with heaps of presence, impact and definition. A nice & unexpected suprise for a proper price. Get it while you can!
on 28 November 2010
The golden age of Hawkwind, when the band was full of characters and pivotal musicians all contributing and adding their signature. The album opens with assault and battery/golden void, which is a total masterpiece, mellatrons, flutes, driving guitars and fabulous vocals. There are spoken word poems which has always been a Hawkwind trademark, recited by the likes of Nik Turner and Michael Moorcock, the latter who inspired 'Warrior' from his eternal champion writings. If your new to this band this is a good place to start along with the mighty Space Ritual album. I think its due for the atomhenge treatment soon, i.e. careful remastering, bonus tracks and sessions. But warrior stands on its own merits and is a truly wonderful album, buy it.
on 4 February 2010
Hawkwind at their most excellent.
Superb, spacial, atmospheric and creative. It takes you to another place!
It tells a story and some of the tracks are some of the best ever written in rock history.

A must for anybody thinking they know rock music.

One track "The Demented Man" in particular is absolutely bloody amazing !