5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time (Review)
My brothers introduced me to this album within a year or two of its release, when I was about six or seven: seeing it now on CD available on Amazon brings back very fond memories of the original vinyl.
Published on 19 April 2005 by Mr. Gregory R. Colton

3.0 out of 5 stars great album pity its a pirate!!!
NOT WISHING TO DENIGRATE THE GREATEST NON CALVERT HAWKWIND ALBUM BE BE AWARE THIS IS NOT A OFFICIALY AUTHORISED RELEASE THE ONLY LEGITIMATE VERSION OF THIS WAS RELEASED A FEW YEARS EARLIER ON THE DOJO LABEL (THIS TITLE WILL BE REMASTERED IN THE NEAR FUTURE ON THE CHERRY RED- ESOTERIC-LABEL.SO WHY NOT WAIT AT LEAST WHEN ITS RE-RELEASED HAWKWIND WILL RECIEVE SOME ROYALTIES!
Published on 9 Oct 2010 by tonypostman

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time (Review), 19 April 2005
The original album cover - with its gate fold shield on one side and the warrior on horseback poised above a precipitous drop on the other - was second only in distinctiveness to ELP's scary Geiger cover to Brain Salad Surgery.
The music itself also made a big impact - I can still recall the hooks vividly 20 years or so after last hearing the tunes: Kings of Speed sums up hard, simple 70s rock with that classic thick sound. Magnu has the terrific ambience, driving riff, delayed vox, and eastern-tinged electric fiddle melodies that make it so memorable. Spiral Galaxy has that ultra fat synth sound and drive, I would still play it at the right kind of disco. The spoken bits were...weird and met with a certain amount of derision at the time, but added a certain drama to proceedings!
When I was able to buy my own records (in the mid 80s), it was the quality of this album sent me to explore Hawkwind's back catalogue and contemporary releases. I found some interesting material on most of the albums, but the earlier stuff seemed too weird and the later material was prone to inconsistency, so my tastes evolved. On a camping trip with my two brothers quoted a Hawkwind roadie who ventured "Hey man, that was one of the best albums they ever made" - I would more than agree.
The instrumentation and production on this album sounded exquisite played back on the modest record players at our disposal (we were too poor and ignorant to go in for 'hi-fi separates'). I would second (third?) those calling for a remastered version: the Strawbs discs on A&M from the same era have translated extremely well to CD and imho sound every bit as full as my memory of the originals, so a similar quality remastered issue of Warrior would be most welcome.
If you are interested in the heavier side of 70s rock music, and are not prejudiced against electronica, and don't mind the odd bit of leftfield weirdness, then this should make an interesting addition to your collection - highly recommended.
- Greg

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eternal Champion, 12 May 2003
Essentially based on the Eternal Champion Mythology created by the author Michael Moorcock, Warrior on the Edge of time is on a par with Hall of the Mountain Grill as one of the best two Hawkwind Albums.
It is a bit strange, with each track interspersed with interlinking dialogue from Michael Moorcock himself. But stick with it. This album grows on you and it is difficult not to stop yourself repeating several tracks and experiencing the icy shiver as either guitar or synth slices up your backbone.
It is not easy to get hold of a copy. If you have one, treasure it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Hawkwind album ? Very close, 22 Jan 2005
Having bought this album in 1975 on its release its a little bit difficult to be wholly objective about reviewing an album that you've had in your possession for almost 30 years ( gulp, its it that long ?? ) . But in saying that I can see it has stood the test of time ....excuse the pun !
It contains probably Hawkwind's best ever track - or should that be plural as the first two songs " Assault And Battery " and " Golden Void " are effectively one 10 minute musical " piece " . It is an absolute opus and even after all these years its an absolute monster of a track that just soars with grace . I can remember when I first listened to this all those years ago that I was absolutely gob smacked as I never knew Hawkwind had this level of musical ability as it is almost classical . The new keyboard player , Simon House , stamps his signature all over this track . In my opinion Hawkwind - although releasing some fine songs since then - have never come close to emulating this musical extravaganza . Its awesome !
Next up is the pulsing , bass driven " Opa Loka " ( not played on by Lemmy either ! ) and again it stands the test of time very well . If " Space Ritual " contained guitar burst that were the precursor for punk then this song had trance written all over it . If you didn't know when or who this song was from then you may have guessed it was a left field track from The Chemical Brothers or The Orb ! Ahead of their time or what .
" The Wizard Blew His Horn " and other spoken , spacey tracks featuring Michael Moorcock is where it fell down slightly for me and the passage of time has not served the tracks well . I disliked them 30 years ago and even more so now . They just come across as weird and " Dr Who " amateurish tosh now .
" The Demented Man " ( or King as the original stated ) is a lovely piece of folk space rock with Dave Brock's plaintive vocals over an acoustic guitar , distorted keyboards , and seagulls ! Next up another epic " Magnu " opening with a killer guitar riff and roaring wind noise . Very atmospheric and still a classic .
The album closes with a couple of rockers - more representative of the Hawkwind I knew before I bought this album - " Kings Of Speed " and a song title that was to become very familiar a few years down the line , the Lemmy written " Motorhead " . This didn't feature on the original album but made it on to the CD .
I can't help but feeling that this album is long overdue a remastering overhaul as indeed have Pink Floyd , Led Zep , and Rush albums from this era . As it will be its 30th Anniversary this year maybe the time is almost nigh ! I hope so .
If it wasn't for the Michael Moorcock tracks this would be a 5 star opus .

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this while you can!, 26 Dec 2008
This is my favourite Hawkwind record ever and showcases a classic line-up at the height of their abilities with great bass, drums, guitar, sax, synth and violin, the production is also excellent and crisp so it all sounds amazing too.

The original album came with a double gatefold sleeve with a shield on one side and the warrior on his horse on the other. A shame CD can't do this but in terms of the music it's impossible to get this on playable vinyl. As a CD reissue this comes out rarely and goes very quickly so get it while you can!

Assault & Battery is a great opener which bridges to the Golden Void and together thay are fantastic.
Opa-Loka is probably the first ever piece of trance music and inspired a whole genre that Hawkwind never got much credit for.
Magnu is my favourite track with a superb intro and this song really belts it out. Even at 8 minutes it got the occasional airing on Radio 1 (by Tommy Vance?).
Spiral Galaxy 28948 is just waiting for Hollywood to use it in a sci-fi epic although the intro is so dark it makes me think Ozzy!
Then we have the Lemmy songs that he also did as Motorhead, I'm sure he plays the bass like a rhythm guitar.

So if you like the band or other progressive rock bands this is a must have and a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwind Masterpiece, 4 Feb 2010
Hawkwind at their most excellent.
Superb, spacial, atmospheric and creative. It takes you to another place!
It tells a story and some of the tracks are some of the best ever written in rock history.

A must for anybody thinking they know rock music.

One track "The Demented Man" in particular is absolutely bloody amazing !

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Hawkwind, 6 Jun 2009
There are a few Hawkwind albums that you must listen to and this is one. A friend of mine was reading Michael Moorcock again and I mentioned Hawkwind, this album and the fact they were related. However this friend had been into disco and other similar sounds in the 80s and this album he rated as being dated. Well in my humble opinion this is one of the most underated albums ever and well ahead of it's time. If you like Hawkwind it is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space(d) & Cymbals, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Warrior On The Edge Of Time (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
These are the 2 things that struck me when I heard this; crisp, clear cymbals on the stereo mix & space between the instruments on the surround sound mix.

A (near) 40 year LP is given a totally new lease of life & has been remixed by someone who obviously cares.

I got this for my 50th birthday & I'm very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars warrior reissue, 2 Mar 2013
The album is due for a deluxe reissue in May 2013 via cherry red/ atomhenge including 5.1 surround sound by Steve Wilson.see article in progress 34 published in March 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for CD2., 29 May 2013
This review is from: Warrior On The Edge Of Time (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
I received the 2 CD + DVD "Warrior" this morning and have just sampled the 2 CDs. My Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder player will sadly NOT play the DVD!
CD 1, which is the straight remaster initially, sounds spine tinglingly impressive, but, after a half hour of playing, I had to reduce the volume because of ear fatigue.
The reproduction is just a tad too sharp and bright for an easy listen.
BUT....CD 2, the Steve Wilson Remix, well that's THE... PERFECT mix as it should have been on the first take.
Smoother, more drive, wonderful thudding bass, vocals better placed, MUCH better, more balanced sound stage and NO ear fatigue. Wonderful Stuff!
I have found, yet another musical Holy Grail, if only on the 2nd CD, so I am giving this release 5 stars.
I am extremely glad and relieved that I changed my original order for the single CD to this box set which includes the Steve Wilson CD, as I would have been less than happy with the
other CD on it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwind at their peak, 18 Mar 2007
When I think of Hawkwind, I think of their UA lps from the early/ mid 70s with Lemmy, Nik Turner and co on board. This Lp is the pinnacle of their output from that period; put simply, any fan of Hawkwind should have it. The only negative is that Bob Calvert is not on it too. It's an atmospheric, haunting and melodic record. Their finest hour.