5.0 out of 5 stars Even better that expected
After the success of previous Petrenko/Liverpool Shostakovich recordings I was counting the days to getting hold of this one, probably one of the most iconic of symphonies. Imagine the loudspeakers belting it out at the German Army across Leningrad, telling them the Russian Spirit will never be broken!
Petrenko has moulded the forces of the RLPO into a powerhouse...
Published 15 months ago by David Allsopp

3.0 out of 5 stars Petrenko Doesn't Quite Take-off, Sadly
I approached the new Petrenko interpretation of this Shostakovitch seventh with high expectations. It certainly has a fabulous recording, if at a slightly lower sound level than, say, the tenth symphony (an extraordinary issue on all levels); I found myself having to turn the sound up higher than usual for this one. As for the work, it needs to be said that this is one of...
Published 14 months ago by Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing times, 26 May 2013
Amazing how the views of this symphony have changed over 50 or 60 years.It was regarded as a triumph of Russian resistance when first performed.Then, during the cold war, it was hardly performed at all, regarded as Soviet bombast - like the People's Palace in Warsaw.

Nowadays we can be more sophisticated and sensitive to the role of the Russian composer or even of their average citizen.Now we know how barbaric Stalin was to the citizens of the country he ruled. Furthermore we think that maybe they might not have held out against the Germans without this terror which applied to everyone, not least Soviet composers. We see the country today ruled by an ex KGB man and we realise that Russia is never going to be a sort of Eastern Tunbridge Wells. So we have to reconsider Soviet music like the Leningrad symphony, often just as music and not trying to spot the secret signals Shostakovich may have been trying to send out. I have always liked the 7th which struck me as very Mahlerian;except sometimes the shrill tone Shostakovich often employs for the woodwind is not to my taste. I also like this performance ,though it is not as exciting as my old Melodya LPs by Mravinsky. Yes that dates me.

As for Petrenko , Liverpool can rightly be proud that he is the best 'thing' to hit the city since Danny Murphy. And, like the latter, he will be snaffled up by London before too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shostakovich 7 'Leningrad' to put most others in the shade., 19 May 2013
This review is from: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7, 'Leningrad' [Vasily Petrenko | RLPO] [Naxos: 8.573057] (Audio CD)
Having commented on Mr Crowe's review of the recent live recording from Andris Nelsons and the wonderful CBSO I approached this Naxos recording with a degree of negative expectation. How wrong my expectations proved, though good earlier purchases the others from the Petrenko/RLPO cycle should have dispelled preconceived doubts. Although the Nelsons is an exciting and dynamic recording it is let down, for this listener, by the very distracting extraneous noises created by the energetic and vocal conductor. The very revealing Orfeo recording does, on repeated listening, detract from what is otherwise an exciting and moving performance.
With the Petrenko the performance is thankfully free from the aforementioned intrusions.
The highlights of this performance are the First movt (gradual build up of the awesome martial section), Adagio (hauntingly beautiful) and the Final movt. Petrenko and the RLPO end this wonderful Symphony on an exciting and glorious unstoppable force of stupendous brass and percussion to rattle the window panes and leaving hairs standing on end.
Other reviewers have commented on the dynamic recording (overwhelming volume at crescendos following sections of barely audible quiet sections) presenting problems. I appreciate this can pose difficulties with volume setting(s)etc , but over the years my experience has taught me that HI-FI equipment can vary widely in reproducing the dynamics (or lack of) of recordings. In addition some recording companies pride themselves on their spectacular 'discs' eg Telarc.
The Petrenko 7th does not displace my preference for the Leonard Bernstein/CSO on DG but gives it a 'run for its money'.
To conclude, Naxos is a label that offers many excellent recordings at bargain basement prices and the current Petrenko/RLPO of Shostakovich Symphonies provides further evidence of their well deserved success, and admiration from critics and music lovers. I would urge anyone who loves this Symphony and given the budget price not to hesitate. I now await Petrenko's 13th (Babi Yar) the 4th and 14th to complete a Shostakovich Symphony cycle that will challenge the existing competition. Well done to all concerned in this venture.

5.0 out of 5 stars The masterpiece of the magnificent Shostakovich cycle and a rendition that matched it, 8 April 2014
Serghiou Const (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
After listening to the Symphony, I immediately decided that I would be spare and Spartan in my review.

When you are confronted with music of such awe inspiring beauty and sublimity and when you have a rendition in such complete harmony with the beauty, sublimity, and character of the music, an extensive review is redundant. You just let the music speak for itself, let yourself be fulfilled and moved, and let the transcendental experience elevate you to another higher level of nobility of the human condition. But let me revert to the rendition which gave me the intense feeling that the charismatic conductor and the excellent RLPO were first imbued and permeated with the nobility, beauty, and character of the music and then generated the unique performance.

To say that Symphony No. 7 'Leningrad' is the crown jewel of the Shostakovich fifteen Symphony magnificent cycle is like stating the obvious.

The summary of my experience of the music was that subtlety, beauty, and nobility were employed as a hymn to the unwavering human defiance and dignity in the face of heroic and epic conflict.

The Symphony and its rendition served for me as the embodiment of the classical Greek saying: ' Kreisson es peiran erhetae' which in liberal English translation means 'When the experience of something proves superior to its anticipation' which is indeed a very rare event.

The Symphony and the particular rendition left on me a lasting imprint on my musical experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recording, 1 Jun 2013
V. James (Wirral, U.K) - See all my reviews
And a brilliant conductor. I could listen to this every day! No better interpretation and performance of this piece that I know of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shostakovich Symphony No. 7, 30 May 2013
I have other recordings of this symphony and thought that the version by Valerie Gergiev would be very hard to beat. This recording by the RLPO under Vasily Petrenko is now, in my mind far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife loves it, 17 Feb 2014
I purchased this Shostakovich symphony No.7 for my wife. She is delighted with it. Thank you. We will be back for other music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am sure it will grow on me., 21 Aug 2013
A great admirer of Petrenko (from a distance of course). We have stopped at the end of the first 2 movements to try to 'digest' them. The orchestra playing is superb (well it is to me) but we are having to work hard to understand. We can feel the tension in the music - it must have been horrendous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shostakoviich Symphony No 7, 10 Aug 2013
This work is not easy listening, but Vasily Petrenko gives such an inspiring rendering. It was well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars RLP/Petrenko Revelation, 7 July 2013
Mr. Vincent Waterfall "Oregolac" (Exeter UK.) - See all my reviews
This recording surpasses all previous versions I possess and would recommend it without reservation. Another stunning performance of Shostakovich 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to standard, 30 Jun 2013
Lance Edwards (derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this on the strength of Petrenko's earlier Shostakovitch recordings and was not disappointed. Nothing else to say really.