on 7 October 2014
I was looking to get a Spot GPS the 2 or 3 version, but I looked at some reviews and came across mention of this, DeLorme InReach SE. So glad I did. I'm sure the Spot is good at what it does, but it does not receive messages and this does.

So, I bought one in time for my trip to the Isle of Skye recently. I knew that on at least 2 of my walks, there would be absolutely no mobile (cell) phone signal at all. I use a Garmin GPS for primary Navigation, but also carry a map and compass. In an emergency, the DeLorme via the Iridium Satellite network, sends your position and also allows you to text the Emergency folk at the other end.

Just like the Spot, you do need to sign up for a subscription, but i don't think it's that expensive, especially if you are out and about on your own a fair bit, and there's the ability to sign up for a casual user pay as you go (effectively) which is a little more per month, but if you know you're only going to use it say, twice a year, works out cheaper.

I found that as long as you didn't cover the antenna at all, it had no trouble getting position and communicating with the satellites. It can be set to send your position every 10 minutes or more and your friends/family can track you or message you from the Map Share page. You'll never be out of touch when you need to be. More info here

I'm really pleased with mine, especially as you can use a smartphone to interface with the unit, making sending and receiving messages very easy. Updates can also be sent to FaceBook and Twitter, which allows all your friends to see where you are and that you're okay, or delayed, or finished depending on the message you send.

Battery life? Well, I went on a 6 hour trip, put my InReach into tracking mode, switched on my iPhone and started the Earthmate app. I put the iPhone into Aircraft mode, then re-enabled bluetooth. Halfway through my in and out trip, I sent some status messages. At the end of the trip, the Inreach was on 94% battery and my iPhone? Well it was still showing 100%!! I know I couldn't believe it either, but it wasn't doing anything other than communicating with the InReach a couple of times.

Incidentally, if you're using a smartphone, you can initiate an SOS from the phone, as well as the hardswitch on the unit, so as long as you can reach either, you're covered.

Any Cons? Well, the build is a little agricultural let's say, but if that means it's bullet proof, all the better. I also bought a neoprene case for it, which allows attachment by carabiner (supplied) or by a clip (belt type) which the case locks into, a bit like the old button on the back of the older Garmins. It seemed fairly easy to detach it from the clip after a couple of practices. personally I used the carabiner onto my rucksack strap and also kept the lanyard attached, in case I dropped it off a Scottish Mountain, not advisable :-)
on 27 December 2013
I had been researching a gps tracker for an upcoming trip to Russia and Mongolia and found that the Delorme was the only one that has 100% coverage.

Since I got it, I went to France and Spain, and family and friends were able to see where I was and if needed contact me. I tend to leave mine in a glove bid on the motorbike.

Thankfully never needed the SOS facility, and so far never had a tracking or message go astray. Well worth the money
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2013
Bought this product for my son when he's on his expeditions to give me some peace of mind. It's like having an extra friend with him and good to know that if there is an emergency, he can contact help. So far have got signal when needed but not used it much yet as it's pretty new. The screen model is easier as you don't need your mobile too and I bought the basic safety plan which works out at about £6-7 per month, which to my mind is well worth it. Basic safety plan includes 10 messages per month (outgoing and incoming) and unlilmited SOS. Tracking is extra but as my son doesn't want tracking that's good for him. I could still 'ping' him if I needed to know where he was though, although he would need to have the device switched on!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2014
This is a totally amazing piece of kit. I bought it to track a colleague who is competing in the Mongol Rally (drive London to Mongolia in a sub 1 litre car)

It is working brilliantly, the registration and activation process at Delorme is easy. The 30day rolling contract is in my opinion good value.

Great value for money and very solid.
on 5 July 2014
Amazing technology and works really well with iPhone / iPad. I bought to increase safety on an offshore sailing vacation, out of sight of land and VHF communication for over a week - this device enabled me email, get weather updates, update Facebook and the people at home could track our progress via the tracking points and online chart. A must for all offshore sailing.
on 17 April 2014
For those who want to enter into satellite communications for as an emergency form of communication, you cant get better than the Delorme inreach SE. it allows 100% possibility of communicating to love ones no matter where you are in the world so long as you have a view of the sky. It works by message only to a mobile number or email (no voice calls) but also gives your position, can track you (every 10 mins) which you can also send to friends and family and even has a sos function so if you do find yourself halfway up the mountain with a broken keg and no phone coverage, you still have the possibility to get rescued. I carry ine with me every where as a back up form of communication which gives me piece of mind no matter where i am. Buying 2 will allow delorme se to delorme se direct communication or you can pair them up with you Iphone or Android phone to check you map location, or send text messages directly from your phone even when there is no coverage. It is reasonably priced unit with VERY reasonable priced monthly plan and i even think they may have introduced a subscription plan that you only pay in a month that you need it. I thoroughly recommend this to everyone whos has even been in a situation without cell phone coverage, not just avid explorers.
on 9 January 2014
I bought the in-reach so that friends and family could track my progress whilst sailing from the Mediterranean to the Gulf of Mexico. It was delivered promptly, was very easy to set up and worked faultlessly throughout the trip. The text, through my ipad was very useful whilst out of mobile phone range. The SOS facility, untested by me, is comforting to have. An economical alternative to an expensive Inmarsat phone.
on 3 February 2014
seeing i hike alone on Dartmoor i was "required" to get something so that family are happy with me yomping on Dartmoor.
I setup the device on my Mac and subscribed direct with DeLorme for the Recreation Plan, very accurate and easy to use.

Will be using this every time I'm out now xD
on 19 November 2014
A great device. has worked perfectly any time I have tried it, even with a less than perfect view of the sky. 2-way satellite messaging in a compact, robust unit.
on 9 November 2014
This device proved to be invaluable on a recent climbing expedition to the Indian Himalayas. Sat phones are not allowed in India at present which is why we chose the Delorme inReach. When our porter staff quit and left us high and dry we could communicate with the local agent and make new arrangements. We kept in touch with family and friends who could follow our progress as each tracking point and communication was plotted on the incredibly detailed satellite maps. Battery life seemed to be excellent although we never used it for prolonged continuous tracking. A brilliant device that worked very well. My only gripe is that on some occasions there was a delay in sending messages, up to 10 minutes. All in all an excellent bit of kit.