5.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten classic, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Star Cops (Paperback)
Star Cops was a television series that was both short-lived and seen by only a few million in 1987. Over time, though, it has become regarded as an incredibly brave and dynamic attempt at something very different. Indeed not long ago it was considered one of the best genre series of it`s kind by SFX magazine.

The original broadcast consisted of scripts from its creator Chris Boucher (Doctor Who, Blake`s 7 and Shoestring) as well as John Collee and Philip Martin. Here then are the original scripts and, more importantly, ideas and visions of how its creator had intended Star Cops to be in novel form. It is often brutal, hard and strays from the more sanitised BBC series, but it still has power and imagination and wit and realism and just screams-out for this incredible set-up to be realised as it`s originally intended audio drama.

This is a must-have, and not only for the Star Cop fans. Huge congratulations to What Noise Productions for getting this published for the first time in this format. Hopefully the series will be re-released on DVD for all of us to enjoy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Star Cops (Kindle Edition)
I remember watching the TV series. The book is great as it covers the bit that did not come over in the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Star Cops (Paperback)
This is an excellent work, well written and faithful to the original TV series. It does add more content and dialogue than we saw in the televised version.

Clearly we wont ever see a new series - particularly with all the original cast - but it would be great if Boucher progressed the Star Cop world in written format.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome sight, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Star Cops (Kindle Edition)
As noted by other reviewers this book is based on the 'Hard Sci-Fi' series that aired on BBC2 during the summer of 1987, a never-repeated gem that sneaked its way out onto VHS and then DVD a while ago and then promptly disappeared. During the 90s Chris Boucher wrote a couple of novelisations of episodes which were available 'mail order' via a fanzine at the time, and this Kindle Edition seems to be a compendium of those two volumes.

An interesting read for fans of the show where Boucher has very much kept to his original vision for the series (I.e. no Anna Shoun in this book folks), and it's a joy to read between the lines and see the shows in a way that couldn't possibly be brought to the screen at the time. Nathan was meant to be a bit younger too!

I love Star Cops and I've been a life-long devotee since I badgered my Dad mercilessly to record them for me when they were shown back in the day when i was 14, I'd bought the oft maligned theme tune on 12" (hey, I like it!!!), I had of course snapped up the aforementioned novelisations from the Fanzine, and you can probably imagine my deep joy at stumbling across this Kindle Edition tonight. I have a picture of Box as the wallpaper on my SmartPhone as I see it as performing the same function as that quirky proto-PDA-type device. Yes folks, I'm THAT sad!

This isn't an objective review, in case you hadn't already guessed. You won't find any scathing commentary on prose, narrative, or character development here guys as I'm too blinded by my obsession with the series to see beyond my rose-tinted-fanboy-haze. But in my opinion it's a pretty good book and I'm hoping that if enough of us buy it, Boucher may write some more (go on Chris, you know you want to!).

A welcome sight based on some older novelisations of a superb show that never managed to capture the audience or widespread appeal that it deserved. Welcome Star Cops Kindle Edition, be mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller in Space, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Star Cops (Paperback)
Great book, an intense involving thriller that brought back fond memories of the TV series. More from Mr. Boucher please!

Star Cops