Published 1 month ago by Peter Wadley

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I bought this to replace a HP OfficeJet Pro L7680, which is essentially a six year old ancestor of the same multifunction printer series. The old printer needed a new cyan and magenta printhead, and its software isn't 100% compatible with Windows 8, so I decided to upgrade to this HP OfficeJet Pro 276dw.

The first machine I received was dead on arrival. The...
Published 19 months ago by garywood84

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)

The first machine I received was dead on arrival. The print head was blocked and black print had white stripes through it which cleaning cycles did not resolve. I had excellent service from Amazon who replaced it quickly.

The second machine worked fine, but I was initially disappointed by the print quality. Despite using pigment inks, the print wasn't sharp on the page, and black text was very noticeably grey rather than black. There was a clear contrast between this machine and the L7680 I was replacing: the L7680 could print black text sharper and with a much deeper black than the new device, despite being six years old! Over a couple of days experimenting, I found that the paper type made a big difference to the quality, which is unusual for pigment inks. It turns out that HP recommends using paper with (it's own!) ColorLok technology, and that did give much sharper results and black was truer black (still not as good as the old L7680, though). ColorLok paper is available from many manufacturers (not just HP) for only a couple of pounds a box more than the paper I usually use, so I accepted that I'd just buy different paper in future.

Later in the week, I tried to do some copying of a couple of pages from a book. It was a double-page spread, so the pages weren't perfectly flat on the glass across the spine. This had never been a problem on the old L7680, which produced some of the clearest, sharpest copies I've ever seen from any device. However, the new machine's copy was dreadful. Anywhere the book hadn't sat perfectly flat on the glass, the copy was blurred. I researched this online and discovered that HP now uses CIS scanner heads in place of the CCD heads in their older machines. The only reason for this is cost: high end standalone scanners still use CCD technology because it gives better quality. The problem with CIS is that it can only focus on the glass itself, and any object that's slightly above the glass -- like the book spine -- therefore comes out blurred. CCDs don't have this problem and can focus for some distance above the glass. I tried copying the same page with the old machine, and it was massively better quality (despite the fact that the printer needed a new head).

In the end, I concluded that despite being HPs top of the range OfficeJet Pro device, HP has done too much cost cutting. The ink in the older machine works better across different paper types and gives sharper results, and the CCD technology in the older scanner gives much better results on anything other than single loose sheet copying. So, I returned the new machine to Amazon, and bought new printheads for my trusty L7680 for less than half the price of the new machine! They arrived this morning, and the L7680 is now as good as new, and producing much better output than the new 276dw did.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the 276dw. I'd hoped it would be at least as good as the earlier HP device it was replacing, but this proved not to be the case. I hope that HP sorts this out before my L7680 finally has to be replaced, because otherwise, I'll have to look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars £50 off, 25 May 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
If you buy this (including through Amazon, it seems), you can claim £50 cashback till 31/7/2014 from HP. Type HP printer cashback into google.
I just bought it from Amazon. I'm sorry to say that in the three days since I did so Amazon's price has risen from £203, which is strange. There is no manual sent with the device. It was fairly easy to set up but without a manual a little difficult to ensure I had optimised web settings etc for my purposes. A google search rapidly found the user guide online, and I would recommend it to another user.
The device seems to do most of what is promised. It definitely prefers to print in 'normal' quality and colour (presumably to maximise ink spend). I've managed to change the default settings for printing from my pc to draft and black and white. But the facility to email to the printer (now called hpconnected, no longer hpeprint) doesn't allow this option. Google cloud print looks easy from an android device but less so from an ipad or iphone, except printing web pages from Chrome. You need a third party app, printcentral pro. It only costs £5.49. I haven't tried it yet. It just sounds a bit of a hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Printer for my Home Office, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
This printer is quite a large printer for Home use but appears to be actually smaller than I expected and it's not all that heavy.

Very quick and easy to setup, although to complete the initial setup on any computer it needs to be connected to a wired network. That was a bit of a pain when only one of the four computers in our house were connected wirelessly. Had to go round with a long network cable, which as I work in IT was not a huge problem but could be for other buyers.

Once setup is complete, all computers (including two iPhones and two iPads) print wirelessly without issue. Printing is quick and excellent quality so far. Not printed any photos yet but have a dedicated photo printer anyway.

Definitely worth the money. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heavyweight inkjet printer, 21 Oct. 2013
Dr. F. B. Reed "O'Bama" (Folkestone, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
So far, I am pleased with my purchase of this huge printer/scanner, which arrived earlier this month. Printing quality is better than my previous HP inkjet printer/scanner.
Incidentally, and contrary to another review, initially I successfully set it up with only a wireless connection to my Virgin router, and I am certainly no computer geek.
Documentation could be better. HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function PrinterHP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function PrinterI am hoping that the larger than usual ink cartridges will save me money in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer, especially like the scan to PDF direct ..., 11 Jun. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Excellent printer, especially like the scan to PDF direct to your computer function. The setup instruction are a bit vague to set up wireless link though, you have to have the printer wired to the router first to allow you to print from the computer via the wifi network. once you have done this then disconnect and the wireless link works faultlessly. if you connect the printer to the router by wifi first the computers/laptop/tablets/phones will not find the printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent printer and software works well too, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Great value, software excellent to install and easy to run and quality pretty good, great for the price. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars new home office, 29 May 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Perfect little device add to a laser printer and a full office now on line. Sound device from ma good company it even feels solid enough unlike recent devices. Ink is good value as well in this model. Can not be beaten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with a lot of features, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Product is quality, has a lot of network connectivity options....

Wifi printing is great, overall product is good value for money...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Recommend for ease of use and looks stylish. I had problems using the HP app, maybe get advice when setting up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Jun. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 276dw Multi-Function Printer (Accessory)
Great piece of kit. Incredibly easy to set up. Would definitely recommend.