4.0 out of 5 stars Avoid until the last book comes out.
Published 12 months ago by Rashika

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
after book 1 I was expecting to find a forward gear. it went backwards in my opinion to a younger audience
Published 12 months ago by DANNY SIMPSON

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Avoid until the last book comes out., 8 Feb. 2014
Where do I start with this book? Nowhere. My feelings are all over the place. This was one of my most anticipated sequels of 2013 and it took me a while to get around to reading it. I went into this book with high expectations, especially after having my mind blow by Sanctum, and things didn’t work out. Where Sanctum told a story of friendship and loss, Fractured told a story of… teenage drama, until it didn’t. Until the last 20ish percent. By then it is USUALLY too late for a book to redeem itself but Fractured somehow did. I forgot that I had spent the last couple hundred pages in rage. I was biting my nails.. whimpering.. hoping that my beloved characters would get the chance they so badly deserved.

It started off really well. We got introduced to new team members, who had a lot of potential. Malachi and Lela’s relationship kept on getting better and better. The only thing that was bugging me was their sudden popularity boost in school. Until well Malachi had an accident and decided he wanted to cut things off romantically with Lela.

Don’t get me wrong, he had a better reason than most of the teenage guys who try to pull that off. He wanted to be able to concentrate instead of having to worry about her safety all the time. He thought that his feelings for her were affecting his ability to be a good guard and to a certain degree it was true. It pissed me off that he thought he could just turn a switch off and his feelings would go away. It pissed me off that the two of them essentially messed with the feelings of two innocent people that did not deserve it. Lela, at least was honest, Malachi on the other hand.. not so much. How do I stay pissed at him though? How do I when he didn’t actually go out of his way seeking someone else? How do I when he says something like this?

“I believed I would be a better Guard if I felt nothing for you. I was good before I met you, and I wanted that back. It didn’t matter how much it hurt me. I believed I had earned every moment of unhappiness with all my mistakes.” He lifted his fingertip, gazing at the crystal drop in the light. “I’m so sorry for causing you pain, Lela. I’ve missed you every second … the things we had, that we could have had. All the times I could have comforted you. Encouraged you. Touched you.”

I guess that’s why this book ended up redeeming itself, in spite of the what Malachi pulled, in spite of the mess that was their relationship, you could see that the two loved each other. Like really loved each other. It wasn’t some infatuation or obsession. It was just sweet, swoon worthy love.

Henry was a great addition to the team and I probably would have liked Jim if they hadn’t brought Tegan into this mess. I’d rather the humans not be involved. I wanted a badass team of guards who didn’t get into teenage drama. They went to school, played a part but aside from that, that was it. They didn't have relationships with people. They hunted those evil Mazikins. I didn’t want to see Jim fall in love when we all know it was never going to happen. Perhaps I expected a lot more action. With that said, I have to say, we did get plenty, it’s just that the teenage drama made it so hard for me to focus on the sheer awesomeness of the action involved in this book.

The Mazikins are some of the best antagonists ever. Their strategy. Dear god, I absolutely LOVE that twist that Sarah threw in. That was what I had been waiting for and it was one of the other factors that redeemed this book for me. The Mazikins aren’t stupid. They won’t give themselves away. They may be new to this world but they are manipulative and seeing that they’ve been around for a while, they’re PRETTY DAMN CLEVER.

I also have to give the Guards credit. The kids in this book actually understand undercover. They live in a world where kids use technology and things like facebook and texting so yeah these guards will have to learn those little things to fit in with the crowd.

The ending fractured my poor heart (pun intended). Well the moment right before the ending. The ending was a déjà vu of sorts and I am curious to see how things will go.. well less curious and more downright eager because damn people my ship needs an HEA and I want to beg and plead Sarah to tell me if everything is going to be all right but I don’t have the guts to do so.

My final verdict, after quite a bit of pondering, is that this book was enjoyable. It was an action and angst (teenage drama) packed sequel which may have let me down but it was not downright disappointing. I’d advise fans who have read the first book to NOT read this until the 3rd book comes out. Too much heartbreak. Excuse me while I go re-read the ending to the Sanctum to make myself feel better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book, 3 Nov. 2013
N. M. Davey (North Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Lela Santos has been restored to life and returned to Earth to continue fighting the soul-stealing Mazikin. She is now the captain of an earth-based division of the Guards with Malachi as her lieutenant. By day she's back at school discovering she's not as unlike the other kids, but at night they're patrolling the streets trying to locate the Mazikin nest.
Lela becomes friendly with Tegan and also explores her feelings for Malachi. Then there is an unexpected suicide and Malachi feels his relationship with Lela is getting in the way of his guard status.
The action was fast-paced and I didn't want to put this book down. Ending possibly a bit predictable but not entirely.....I won't be a spoiler. Sadly no mention yet of another book.

4.0 out of 5 stars big improvement on the first book, 31 Jan. 2014
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Children's Publishing and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Guards of the Shadowlands’ series, and picks up where book 1 ‘Sanctum’ left off.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Sanctum’.**
Lela is back in the normal world, and has been made a captain of the Guards, with Malachi her lieutenant.
Things are not right though, as Mazikin have followed them, and are now possessing people and building an army in the human realm.
Can Lela stop the Mazikin? What do they want? And how many innocent people will have to die before they are stopped?

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read this book as the first one was only okay, but this one was much better!

Lela was a little better in this book. Even though she once again thought she was invincible, she was less conceited, and actually even showed that she was human! It was nice to see her displaying some emotion, and realising her mistakes.

The storyline was also better. I found it much easier to understand as the story was actually taking place in the real world this time, and the whole thing just flowed better. It was also a lot more believable. I liked the pace of this book, it moved quickly, and I also liked the tension and the constant threat from the Mazikin.

The romance in this one was also good, and much improved from the first. It was lovely when Lela and Malachi were together, and there was real feeling between them which was great.

The ending of this was pretty shocking, and a bit of a cliff-hanger. Lela once again made a drastic and life-changing decision, pretty inadvisably, and we’re left waiting for the next book to find out whether her plan will succeed!
Overall; much improved on the first book – good YA urban fantasy.
7 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, gripping, un-put-downable, 20 Oct. 2014
I absolutely loved this book. If anything, it is even better than the first book in the trilogy (and I can hardly wait for the conclusion!).
Lela is back on earth and still fighting the Mazikin, as well as trying to be a 'regular' teenager. She is seriously outnumbered with only three other Guards to help her in her battle.
As before, the characters are well drawn and the story-arcs of the main protagonists are consistent and interesting. The pace is excellent and the writing gripping. I couldn't put it down.
Although apparently aimed at young adults, I am more of an age with the young-adults' parents and I absolutely adored this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good follow-on, 16 Mar. 2014
Really enjoyed the whole trilogy. Good characters, well designed story, and a massive imagination. Kept me reading hard to the very end

4.0 out of 5 stars Continues to hold on th the reader, bring on Book 3, 7 Aug. 2014
A good follow on from Book 1 and looking forward to Book 3. My review from Book 1 remains the same a s this one. Its a good story and can easily be read by a mature reader. Some tweeking and cut down on the corny romance parts, wbich is aimed at the lady teenager reader, and the sory and the writing of it is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down!, 1 July 2014
I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as the first one, but wow, I was so wrong! I just could not put this book down and I'm somebody who does not have a lot of spare time.

If you are looking for a good read and like a bit of fantasy thriller then this is the right series for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fractured, 30 April 2014
NOOOOOO OMG!!!! When is the next book out? I really need to know what happens next. Not all is as it seems what a good plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 13 April 2014
I finished this late last night, following on from the last book Lela and Malachi are now out of the dark city and are now back to living a "normal" life, which as Malachi died 70 years ago takes a bit of getting used to.

Their peace is shattered as the Mazikin have followed then and are attacking their friends and other inhabitants of their town, they have to track them down before it's too late.

This had an incredible ending and sets it up nicely for a third book, really enjoying this series and hope there is not a long wait for number three.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Mar. 2014
Bring on book 3. Lots of twists and turns, and surprises! I really hope the books are made into films.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›