5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
This is arguably the best Dvorak Stabat Mater now available, The soloists are excellent and the recording is superb. I prefer Herrweghe to the other recordings I have (Naxos and Supraphon) and this is now my recording of choice. It is also Gramophone recording of the month so I am not alone.
Published on 24 Jun. 2013 by cnrobinson

3.0 out of 5 stars some unrecognisable Dvorak
those who like church music but are not themselves particularly religious may not get any special buzz but this is a worthy and listenable work, well performed.
Published 22 months ago by malyan wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dvo?įk: Stabat Mater (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful discovery, 11 Dec. 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stabat Mater (Audio CD)
I confess that I didn't know Dvorak's Stabat Mater before trying this, which I took a punt on because I have enjoyed Philippe Herreweghe's recordings for many years and wanted to find out what he was doing on his new Phi label. I am extremely glad I did because both the music and the performance here are top-notch.

This is Dvorak's setting of the powerful mediaeval poem of Mary at the foot of the cross, lamenting her son's terrible death. It is therefore quite dark and intense in places, but there's also plenty of Dvorak's warmth and light, too. His wonderful, distinctive harmonic structures and his gift for melody shine here and give real depth and meaning to the text.

Herreweghe and his ensemble do the music proud, engaging intensely with both text and music and shaping the piece with real skill. The soloists are all very good, the chorus and orchestra are excellent and the whole thing is very well balanced in a lovely, rich recording.

I was delighted to discover this piece and this performance. I think it is rather special and recommend it very warmly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondergul rendition of an unfairly-neglected work, 11 Oct. 2013
Stephen D'ARCY "trappist" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stabat Mater (Audio CD)
Superb singing as one would expect from Collegium Vocale under St. Philippe de Herreweghe.
This work deserves to be heard more often - buy this CD and hear why.

3.0 out of 5 stars some unrecognisable Dvorak, 6 Sept. 2013

Dvo?įk: Stabat Mater
Dvo?ák: Stabat Mater by Philippe Herreweghe / Collegium Vocale Gent / Royal Flemish Philharmonic / Ilse Eerens / Michaela Selinger / Maximilian Schmitt / Florian Boesch
Buy MP3 Album£6.19