5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly thrilling pop - this summer's album
Published 12 months ago by R. M. Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Plain dark pop, from concentrate.
I was really excited to buy this album after hearing Bones, Ash Tree Lane, Hurricane and Fantasy... I loved them immediately and looked forward to hearing the rest of the record.

Published 11 months ago by Jonathan Kvedaras

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Plain dark pop, from concentrate., 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)

However, despite my love for these few songs, I felt the rest of the songs sounded simple, boring and plain strange. Usually when I am challenged by a song, I dislike it at first... but after a few listens, it catches on and I begin to love it - this was not the case for me with this album. I felt that I enjoyed the first half, the rest sounded rushed which for me makes it a mediocre album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly thrilling pop - this summer's album, 23 Jun 2013
R. M. Day (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
I was led to this after hearing "Hurricane" on Jo Whiley's show on BBC Radio 2, then finding the singles on YouTube. I've not been disappointed - it's been playing non-stop in my car for the last week. The combination of Lizzy's incredibly clear vocals, the lush arrangements and some very dynamic drumming is captivating. There's certainly a slight darkness to some of the lyrics (which barely merit the "advisory" sticker) but it seems to come from somewhere less troubled than the background suggested by the lyrics of Lana Del Rey, to whom MS MR have been likened. There is something similar but it's not entirely obvious what - and MS MR's songs are more danceable, thanks largely to that drumming and some seriously low bass sounds in places (lower than most headphone users will be able to appreciate). There are also some similarities to Chvrches in MS MR's slightly '80s vibe; it's less pronounced than Chvrches (who have remixed at least one MS MR track) but in places it had me recalling soundtracks to The Lost Boys and Miami Vice! Great stuff, definitely my soundtrack to the summer.
[Update - 9 months later, I still love this album. Some reviewers have been disappointed that not all of the tracks match their expectation from the singles - for me, the variety makes the album. MS MR are also excellent fun live - Lizzy is a hugely energetic and engaging frontperson.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms Mr have polarised the axis of popular music with sumptuous dark dream pop, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
A partnership seemingly made in heaven (they consist of wonder vocalist Lizzy Plapinger and wonder producer Max Hershenow) then this has been a slow steady 10 month burn towards this album's release...and one has the feeling by now that the hype machine is at full flame :-) Their music is a mix of alternative indie dark dream melodic arty (certainly in the lyrical sense) pop rock. But let's first take a step back. Accidently discovered this duo in July 2012 via the wonderful 7" vinyl single 'Hurricane' / 'Bones (Demo)' plus then a few months after the white 7" vinyl release Candy Bar Creep Show EP. Album opener 'Hurricane' is totally brilliant wonderful & love especially Lizzy's voice & the drums "welcome to the inner workings of my mind so dark and foul I can't disguise"....beautiful, a great production & lyrics. 'Bones' is just as good, really epic & another great vocal by Lizzy "empty churches with soul's curses"...with such a confidence in her delivery as she explains the pains of life. 'Ash Tree Lane' more brilliance with some brass beautifully lifting this up "the dream I take to awake when my mind's a mess" "creatures seem to scream & fade". 'Fantasy' is also brilliance via this time an up-tempo urgent aggressive big melodic sound "a mass of damaged time" "help me feel what I want to see". 'Dark Doo Wop' more wonderful original sounds "baby you should stick around" slow & mesmerising as it builds & burns "this world is going to burn...burn burn burn" dramatic huge sounds. At this point you have the best / strongest opening five tracks on any album I've heard for a long time. 6th 'Head Is Not My Home' is almost a country jig - catchy & dramatic. 'Salty Sweet' & more original sounds "we fear rejection". 'Think Of You' "I still think of you & all the s*** you put me through" is really excellent. 'Twenty Seven' freaking hell more brilliance with piano prominent "don't need the promise of heaven just faith I'll pass twenty seven" & is imagery about how rock stars of importance seem to pass away at 27 years. 'BTSK' leaves you flabbergasted with its excellence "It didn't come easy I'm glad it was hard Worth the wait To give you my heart" with some great synth sounds. This could well be the very best track here. 'BTSK' means Big Teeth Small Kiss :o) 'No Trace' another Spectorish production with the kitchen sink thrown in. 'This Isn't Control' some interesting vocals but probably the weakest on the album. If there was any slight criticism then it is that it sounds a little contrived (well planned out rather than natural) but really Ms Mr have polarised the axis of popular music with sumptuous dark dream pop & is the strongest album out so far this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was in two minds about this, 5 Feb 2014
I wasn't sure whether to buy this album at first. I'd only heard Hurricane, and although I loved it, her voice isn't the strongest. Let's just say, you don't have the urge to listen to any of her stuff in acapella. But, this album's excellent. There's something about her voice that is simple and understated that gives each track real power. When you connect that to the haunting melodies and the driving beats you've got a great combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly beautiful, 2 Jan 2014
Mr. M. AYRES "mayres1975" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
Doing my usual browse trying to find some new tunes when i stumbled upon this. A quick listen on Amazon and Youtube and I bought the whole album and haven't stopped listening to it. It is dark and utterly beautiful and i don't understand why I haven't heard of them before. Dark Doo Wop is simply stunning. If you're a fan of the darker side of pop then this will not disappoint. Can't wait to hear more from them :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album - can't stand the remixes though., 10 Dec 2013
I love driving with the album, it's very relaxing with some more upbeat tunes.
The only thing that lets it down is that some of the remixes at the end of the album, reminded me of the B-sides of Shania Twain's 'Up' album which I was forced to listen too once...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
I adore this album! It will be completely up your street if you enjoy the likes of London Grammar, the XX, Daughter and Lorde!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Addictive Music!, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of MS MR since a few months ago, but since then, they've been on every playlist I've made and even though they're not played on the radio a lot, I know they have a huge fan base following.
They're not like anyone else, so give them a listen! You won't regret listening to Hurricane, Bones, Salty Sweet or Dark Doo Wop.

4.0 out of 5 stars MS MR - Secondhand Rapture, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
I heard a song or two from Ms Mr on the radio and decided I'd try them out. It's a good album and has some great tracks included. I bought the version with explicit lyrics but there's nothing major to shock anyone that buys it. The songs have an individuality and the band have their own unique sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and fantastic, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Secondhand Rapture (Audio CD)
First heard 'Bones' on advert for Game of Thrones. Saw them live, they were amazing, loving the lyrics. It seems quite dark but then has such a kick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Secondhand Rapture
Secondhand Rapture by MS MR (Audio CD - 2013)