Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 9 June 2013
I think I know what you're thinking. I'd think it too. You probably think I am some hyper fan that is punting the album due to the presence of a strong bias in favour of the band. I won't deny that I am a fan and that I have listened to all of their albums and even Jesse's Times of Grace album. We all have subjective predilections and dispositions but like good Supreme Court judges we should be aware of our personal biases and try to factor these biases into (mostly out of) our judgments. On that note, I do think this is one of their best albums. The lyrics are inspirational and the music is, as always, technical and captivating. Sure it sounds like other Killswitch Engage albums, in the same way that Picasso paintings share similarities. You buy a bands' album because you like their style and you want to see what variations and branches they have added to their basic style and this album takes you on an eventful and exciting exploration. I am most amazed by Jesse's voice in this album. So much depth and variety! Thats what impresses me, but who is to say that you won't be entranced by something different? Go buy the album and enjoy the journey!
on 29 April 2013
This is the first KsE album i'm able to listen to all the way through and enjoy all of it equally. Ive liked songs from all their past albums, but this one strikes the right balance between clean/aggressive vocals, guitar riffing and melodies, fast and slow paced songs, recording quality, and overall song quality. (For the record I like all the songs on Alive or Just Breathing too, but due to it's aggressiveness I can't often listen to it all in one sitting).

Now to break it down, first of all I think the album mix is much better here, I feel their last 2 albums have been too heavy in the mid-range, this one is mixed much like Alive or Just Breathing/The End of Heartache.

Jesse is a very good fit for the band, while Howard has a better clean singing voice (imo) Jesse is my overall favourite. On Alive or Just Breathing I feel Jesse was good, just a little too aggressive at times. It makes the album sometimes hard to listen to, whereas here he strikes a perfect balance of vocal styles.

Some people are saying this album is good but doesn't do much different to past albums, I disagree. Whilst the band's style is relevantly unchanged the actual song quality is vastly superior, that's the big change with this release. I dont know how much influence Jesse had on the actual instrument work but the lyrical content is totally different to Howard's stuff, and I think this has a big part to play in the song quality.

To sum up, this is a great album full of great songs, my favourite has to be 'In Due Time', it has perfect lyrics, catchy verses + choruses, and the instrument work is second to none. This shouldn't disappoint KsE fans, in fact if anything it will probably earn them some new ones.
on 18 February 2015
I neve really gelled with the last album (Killswitch Engage), but this album I enjoyed from start to finish. This album has tracks that are much faster, with the odd blast beat in there. The songwriting is much better on this album.

The key reason a lot of people are buying this album is because Jesse Leach is back. Jesse is an exceptional vocallist, and has done a great job both lyrically and vocally on this album. I have noticed a lot of fans complaining that the screamy/growly vocals aren't as harsh or 'in your face' as Jesse's hardcore type vocals usually are. I agree that they don't quite have his usual live emotive screams/growls, but then this is a new project. If you are looking for Alive or Just Breathing II go and listen to some Times of Grace (Hymn of a broken man is a fantastic album, and has more of the screamy/growl tone that some expect from Jesse).

The drums on this album are spectacular. The guitars are top notch as you'd expect, and the bass is more prominent than the last album. The production of this album feels very similar to the last self titled album. It feels a little glossed over. I've always considered KSE albums to have that thick heavy in your face sound, but I also know that artists need to move on and experiemtn. Overall this is one of the better albums. 8.5/10.
Killswitch Engage are a melodic Metalcore band from Massachusettes, and Disarm The Descent is their fifth full-length studio album (sixth, if you count the band's half-hour self-titled debut effort from 2000).

It was released in 2013, following-up 2009's self-titled record. It was produced by the band's guitarist, backing vocalist and former drummer Adam Dutkiewicz and mixed by Andy Sneap. Like most of the band's releases, the artwork was handled by bassist Mike D'Antonio.

After three albums with Howard Jones in the lead vocal position, Disarm The Descent sees the return of the band's original singer Jesse Leech, who had last held that position on 2002's Alive Or Just Breathing album, (although he had periodically turned up in guest appearances, live shows and side projects in the intervening years)

The album opens up with blasts and angular Swedish sounding music, like some of the band's earliest work, but soon returns to the sound that you'd expect from the band at this stage in their career. They are one of the genre's pioneers and over their career have developed an easily identifiable signature sound, that makes a welcome return, however the band seem to have attempted to bring back a bit of the bite and edge of their early days to avoid sounding too polished and smoothed-down.

The album runs a lot of the same course that the band have covered before. Throughout the record, there are triumphant sounding lead guitar lines, flashy solos, crunchy breakdowns and a mixture of precision riffing with uplifting melodic moments. There's the fast, spidery touches and hammering double kicks on `New Awakening,' there's a slower moody moment with `Always' and there's the aforementioned blasts and Gothenburg influences on tracks like `The Hell In Me' and `All That We Have.'

The lead single `In Due Time' is a good taster of the album as a whole. Most of the elements that the album covers are present to some degree or other within its duration and it gives you a good measure of what the band and Jesse sound like at this moment in time, which in a word would be "revitalized."

One area in which the album really shines is in the lead guitar work. Its seems like an extra special effort has gone into making impressive sounding guitar solos, and making them in large numbers. The vocals are also noteworthy. Extra care and attention has been put into the layering and combination of differing varieties of screams, shrieks, growls, shouts and singing.

While the record still sounds unmistakably like Killswitch Engage, most of the music on the album is in the higher end of the tempo range that the band work in. Its main mode is `fast,' and this combined with the studious approaches to lead guitar and vocal layering give the album its unique selling point among the rest of the band's catalougue.

Album highlights include `A Tribute To The Fallen,' `No End In Sight' and `Time Will Not Remain.'

Overall; If you want a collection of brief, punchy, Melodic Metalcore songs then you could do worse in 2013 than checking out Disarm The Descent. Its consistent, it sounds great and it delivers exactly what you want from the band with a slight twist and the right kind of energy.
on 3 April 2014
Killswitch Engage has always been a band I've wanted to like more. Alive or Just Breathing, in my opinion, is about as perfect as modern metalcore can get (possibly with the exception of Misery Signals début), but the Howard Jones era material always left me wanting more. Not that Jones was a bad vocalist – I think his clean singing is some of the best in metal – but the band seemed intent on killing the momentum of songs with sickeningly sugary choruses which contrasted too much with the heavy parts. So, when I heard that Howard had left (perhaps we'll finally hear another Blood Has Been Shed cd?) and Jesse was back in town, I had to pick up Disarm the Descent to see what the band 3.0 could offer.

Let me say off the bat that this is easily the best Killswitch since Alive or Just Breathing, but, for me, that has little to do with Jesse returning and more to with Messrs Foley, Dutkiewicz and Stroetzel. You see, Disarm the Descent features some of the heaviest and most crushing riffs the band have ever written. Foley especially ups the anti by incorporating some tremendous blasting and an overall more brutal approach to the drum kit that does wonders for the band. Cookie monster growls have also made a welcome return. Of course, this is Killswitch we're talking about, so you can be sure that there's no shorting of languishingly uplifting clean vocals around ever corner, but Hell in Me, All That We Have and The New Awakening show a much more aggressive and hungry Killswitch then we've seen in a while. Overall, the band sound re energized and refocused. Aside from the fact that Hell in Me shamelessly steals is main riff from Shadows Fall's Nurture (which was on Sombre Eyes to the Skies which Adam Dutkiewivz produced, no less), there's little fault to find here.

However, while Disarm the Descent is certainly the best Killswitch album since Alive or Just Breathing, I have to say that I disagree with many people calling this Alive or Just Breathing 2.0, because both Killswitch and Jesse have changed a lot in the 11 years between albums. Despite the return of cookie monster growls and Justin Foley's new found love of blast beats, Disarm the Descent does not return to the primal stomp of the bands formative years. Alive or Just Breathing, as amazing as it was, was built on simple yet colossal riffs in essence; Disarm, on the other hand, features much more fluid and technically demanding guitar parts and as already mentioned, superior drumming. Secondly, Jesse's voice has changed a lot since 2002. He still retains his blistering high scream, put his earth trembling mid-range growl, the stable of AOJB, has been replaced by a sort of Peter Dolving style shout/bark (which I have to say I don't care too much for). Possibly as a result of the vocal trauma that forced his exit from the band, it might also be the reason for the liberal smattering of Adam D's backing growls. Also, Jesse's clean vocals have improved tenfold, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the silky, soulful melodies of Howard Jones. I guess, for me the ultimate Killswitch album would be the one with Jesse screaming and Howard singing...sadly it'll never happen.

On the other hand, as rejuvenated and aggressive Disarm is, its still Killswitch as they've always been, and songs still follow the template the band has been laying down for what seems like donkey years. A bit of innovation might have gone a long way, and certainly would have given this album 5 stars from me. As such, I've you've never been convinced by any incarnation of the band, there's little on Disarm the Descent to change your mind. Also, I found Always and Tribute to the Fallen a little too on the gushy sentimental side.

While the metalcore scene has for the most part fizzled out, Killswitch Engage are still here, doing what they do best and giving us their best album in over a decade. Fans of both the Jesse and Howard eras of the band will not be disappointed.

p.s. If you can, get the special edition with the bonus tracks – they're belters!
on 15 September 2013
Disarm the Descent, in my opinion, is the best album Killswitch Engage have done since their 2004 album The End of Heartache, I think it's so much better than 2006's As Daylight Dies and the second self-titled album from 2009 which I felt were too soft musicwise. This album marks a welcome return of original vocalist Jesse Leach who previously provided vocals for the band's first two albums Killswitch Engage (2000) and Alive or Just Breathing (2002), and was replaced by Howard Jones for the next three albums they did before Jones left in 2012. Parts of Disarm the Descent remind me very much of their 2002 album Alive or Just Breathing which is equally good, especially A Tribute to the Fallen in which the outro on that song reminds me of the outro on Just Barely Breathing from AoJB. For me, the best tracks on Disarm the Descent are Beyond the Flames, The New Awakening, In Due Time, A Tribute to the Fallen, All We Have, Always, and Blood Stains (one of the bonus tracks on the special edition of this album), although to be fair the other tracks are pretty good as well but the ones I mentioned are my favourites.

Overall, this is a very good album in that Killswitch Engage returned to their musical roots and the album is packed with plenty of good songs. The songs they did with Jesse Leach as vocalist (including those in this album) were about unity and positivity, whereas the songs they did when Howard Jones was in the band were mostly about heartaches and relationships. Very highly recommended, along with Killswitch Engage (the first self-titled album from 2000, not the second self-titled one from 2009 which I thought was rubbish), Alive or Just Breathing (2002) and The End of Heartache (2004).
on 5 April 2013
Killswitch Engage have always been at the top of the modern Metalcore explosion, releasing a series of intelligent sounding albums with a gradual decline in quality of the years, somewhat stagnating with the self titled release in 2009.

Now they are back, back with the original vocalist and a punchier heavier direction, but is this what was anticipated by the masses?!

Killswitch Engage have been through a few distinct changes in the past, most notably when original band vocalist Jesse Leach quit the band shortly after releasing their Roadrunner Records mainstream breakthrough album 'Alive or Just Breathing'. Arguably one of the best metalcore albums ever realeased. He was subsequently replaced by Howard Jones, who on 'The End of Heartache' proved he could more than stand up to the former glory, although not as fantastic an album as 'Alive or Just Breathing', it only fell short by a small margin. From there Killswitch engage began to refine a sound with a more commercial, dare I say radio friendly Metalcore edge "My Curse" etc. and so the gradual decline began.

So as the band hit stagnation with the self titled album, it seemed as though the years were softening the band to a degree.

Fast forward to 2013 and Jesse Leach has returned to frontline, Andy Sneap has mixed the album and all the pre-emptive tick boxes for something incredible or triumphant are ready...But this album, 'Disarm The Descent' doesn't quite hit the mark, as great as it is to have Jesse back, the improvement in the level of aggression and a thicker production can't mask the fact that most of the album sticks to their winning formula, never breaking into any unexpected territory anywhere near as good as the 'Numbered Days' punches to the stomach inducing introduction (Still one of the best album openers). Or even the brilliance of 'Life to Lifeless' or 'Rose of Sharyn'.

I can't help the comparisons here. I had much anticipation for this, only to be knocked off my feet. I still enjoy the album and it is a great metalcore record, solid, it would be amazing if any other imitating bands attempted this.

Jesse's growl now has more in common with that of the 'Every Time I Die Frontman' in that it's much higher picthed, almost gone is that deep low end chugging into the pounding aggression found on the very first 'Self Titled' album and 'Alive'. Jesse's singing voice has dramatically improved, it sounds awesome. It's even developed from that displayed on the 'Times of Grace' album...

...Which brings me onto 'Times of Grace'. Although a side project, comparisons are inevitable, I feel the 'Times of Grace' album is far superior to this one, the melody and interplay of the work on show has a better feel for the listener. Songs seem to have something a little different about them, unexpected on first listen. Which is where Disarm the Descent falls down, almost all of the tracks are great, but don't push much beyond just being great. The expectation was for some kind of beast to explode from the speakers and show that modern Metalcore isn't always trapped in the 'heard this all before' area it seems to be becoming of late.
on 15 May 2013
For me this is the best KSE album yet! At first I downloaded it, but I was a bit unsure what to expect seeing as Jesse Leach had been away from the band for a good 10 years or so. But, WOW! The man can sing! I remember the first album, Alive or Just Breathing, which to some is arguably one of the best Metalcore albums ever released! Disarm the Descent, for me, tops it! As soon as I heard "The Hell in Me", I was blown away, and then to hear songs like "In Due Time" and "You Don't Bleed for Me", I just fell in love with it. I also quite liked "A Tribute to the Fallen".. I just absolutely loved the whole thing :).. If anyone is a Killswitch fan, or just a general fan of Metal music, or Metalcore specifically, you WILL love this album! I strongly suggest you purchase it, I cannot get enough of it!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2013
This is a step backwards and forwards in time for Killswitch, if that makes sense. In a way they are back to their earlier (and in my opinion better) ways, yet taking it to a whole new level.

This album has all of your typical heavy heavy parts with the melodic nice parts, with some of the best Killswitch songs I have ever heard. I was losing faith in them with the recent albums, but Disarm the Descent has them right back on course. Now I can't wait for what comes next.
on 16 July 2013
As a relative newcomer to KsE I wanted to get the new album to keep ahead of the gigs to come. My experiences so far had been with Howard Jones on vocals who I liked very much, on learning the return of the original lead vocalist I was interested to see the difference and fortunately for all not a vast difference. That said the album is quick to like and quick to forget, it just doesnthang around in my head like a some of the earlier albums.