5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! It's all just starting to come together.
Having waited a year for this book I couldn't wait to get my teeth into it. The previous four books in the series are excellent and this instalment is no less brilliant. You really do need to have read the previous books to understand the story and characters though. Don't try reading this if you haven't.

Set just after event from The Enemy and running...
Published 17 months ago by Dyl

3.0 out of 5 stars A step away from the others in the series.
If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I've loved the other books in the series but this one boarded the weird train and forgot to get off. The plot is just getting too far from the truth for me to stay engaged. I'm rooting for small Sam and I hope things turn out for him in the end. There should be a bit of a feel good for me rather than just persistent carnage...
Published 8 months ago by zoew

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! It's all just starting to come together., 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Fallen (The Enemy Book 5) (Kindle Edition)

Set just after event from The Enemy and running simultaneously to events in The Sacrifice (The Enemy) the surviving kids that reached the Natural History Museum now have new problems to contend with. Not only do they have to get along with a new group of kids that are initially suspicious of them, but there is also someone sabotaging their safe haven, (read The Enemy to learn about who this is).

The museum kids have a bit of a science division set up and are trying to work out what is causing the illness in adults, possibly even to find a cure. They are, however, not fighters. This is where Blue, Maxie, Big Mick and the rest of the gang come in. They can provide the muscle and security needed on an expedition suggested by the lead `scientist', Einstein. He wants to go to a scientific research facility near Heathrow to get medical supplies and research equipment to use in their labs at the museum.

As with most events throughout this series things are never easy and the trip across London gets a bit messy. The sickos cause problems as normal and the two groups of kids argue about how to do things and who should be in charge. A clash of personalities amongst teenagers... Who would have thought it possible?

Once at the facility there are more new problems and mysteries to work out. Who is at this place? What are they? Are they safe? It's a rather strange turn of events and at first I was unsure whether Mr Higson had maybe taken things a bit too far down the weirdness route. However, things are explained and it is worth reading this book just for these new additions to the already amazing character roster.
The character list is brilliant in that you feel different things towards them all. Love, hate, pity, sadness, respect... you want the good guys to succeed and the bad guys to get their just deserts. None of them ever feel like they don't serve any purpose in the story.

The series is quite a gruesome one and has had more than its fair share of blood and gore splattered scenes. The Sacrifice had slightly less of it though and this book is along the same level. Again, it seems to focus more on the kids working together and creating groups of differing skill sets than on constantly killing sickos. It's this building of the central characters that makes the series so brilliant. Some of them change as events unfold, some of them don't. Some are natural leaders, whilst others just like to think they are. Some put on a brave face whilst being inwardly terrified, and others are just in it for the fight and don't appear to be afraid of anything. Constant battling would just get tedious. The people need to be interesting to keep your attention, and they certainly keep your attention here. All these groups of people mean there are various plots running simultaneously. All of them are great and I can't wait to find out how they pull together. This book makes a start on this in a welcome event that led to an intriguing twist.

As I understand it there are to be seven main books in total, so I'm guessing that the stories are going to really start coming together in the next two books. Unfortunately, that means waiting another year for my fix of kids vs. sickos.

Also, see if you can spot and work out the anagram that Mr Higson has used for the name of something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you wanting more, 5 Oct. 2013
Mr ML SMITH (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read all of The Enemy series and each time I wish I could fast forward to next year so that I can read the next installment. Charlie Higson's ability to write gross scenario's in an entertaining way keeps you gripped to the story line. He bounces from one scene to another, sometimes fitting in fragments from previous books in the series which you vaguely remember, and cant help going " a-ha" when it registers. I read the first book to see if it was appropriate for my kids age group. I was 39 at the time and bit all my nails off and finished it in 2 days. I found it terrifying. I let my 12 year old daughter read it with some reservation but she coped much better with the really scary bits than I did. Now I wait with baited breathe every September, looking forward to what happens next. Bring it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant., 18 Sept. 2013
I was extremely excited after waiting a whole year to get my hands on this book, and boy it was definitely not a disappointment.
Charlie Higson is a genius in the way that everything starts to connect together, it's amazing. The book is definitely worth a read if you've read the other books.
The book itself is action packed and makes an advancement on the disease itself. The book provides the background and the cause of the disease along with our favourite characters from The Enemy, the Holloway gang. It's thrilling and action packed and I highly recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cover!, 1 Nov. 2013
I'm going to start off by saying OMG I absolutely love this cover! The green and black really complement each other and the black pages give it an eerie feel. Great work! This book is the fifth book in the series and is written by the great minD of Charlie Higson. It follows the story of a group of kids who are looking for a
cure as all the adults have been turned into zombies.
I have delved straight into this book without reading the ones before it so many of the background stories went straight over my head. However, the detail and great descriptions put into the book enabled me to read it with understanding of the current plot line. I love post apocalyptic books and have read many books where adults are no longer present such as the Gone series by Michael Grant. I find these series are always very fast paced and The Fallen is no less than this - a definite page turner right from the beginning. The unique factor of the adults turning into zombies set this book apart from other "kids only" novels however sometimes I did feel some features were very similar to those in the other books. This book is set in London, England - my home country. I love how the busy city of London has been turned into chaos in this book with the adults taking over Buckingham Palace, Clock Tower and all the other famous landmarks. This series is a very addictive one but at times I felt the plot had been dragged out with unnecessary parts added into it to create more books. This saddened me as I would rather read a short series or trilogy that is all relevant than a longer one with ramblings.
Overall, it was a great fast paced book with amazing development but sometimes irrelevant parts - a definite read for those who loved Gone by Michael Grant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another dark and violent book in a good YA horror series, 21 Sept. 2013
Set just after THE ENEMY and taking place simultaneously with THE SACRIFICE, Maxie, Blue and the rest of the Holloway crew arrive at the Natural History Museum just as Paul releases the Sickos in the basement. Despite helping Justin and his nerds survive the attack, the relationship between both groups remains uneasy until head scientist Einstein proposes a trip to a medical research warehouse near Heathrow to get more supplies for their work on a Sicko cure and Blue agrees to take a bunch of fighters to protect him and his nerdlets. Meanwhile the kids left at the Museum have their own problems because something is still hiding in the shadows - something dangerous - and it's picking them off one-by-one ...

The sixth in Charlie Higson's ENEMY SERIES is another dark and twisted survival YA tale, filled with violent scenes as the characters continue their struggle to survive. I loved the Twisted Kids and the cause of the Sicko virus is gloriously explained. However, I missed Sam, the Kid and Shadowman and the way Higson jumps between timelines in books left me frustrated given that the story had previously felt as if it building to a central point. There's also an increasing repetitiveness to the Sicko skirmishes while the wide cast of characters mean that some of the character deaths lack impact. I still enjoy this series and the jaw-dropping cliff hanger ending will ensure I buy the next book but I need the plot to start coming together in a definite direction.

Despite all the action scenes, I found the book a little slow and repetitive until the arrival of the Twisted Kids half-way through. I really enjoyed how Higson introduces them and makes their disabilities a source of strength. I also liked the fact that we finally find out what the Sicko virus is and where it came from and I enjoyed the scenes from Paul's point of view - a tragic and pathetic character, his descent into Sicko madness is both chilling and moving.

However, the Sicko attacks are becoming repetitive and the huge cast of characters made it difficult to keep track of who is who (despite handy recapping), which meant that some of the character deaths didn't move me as they should. The ending is a jaw-dropper though, with Higson slipping in two big bombshells that promise much in Book 7, which I shall definitely buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars These books are sooooooooooooo good, 18 Oct. 2013
Brilliant book series cant wait till the next one next year. Read them all twice. I am a 68 year old Nanna to four but just love these books..

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as always, 17 Feb. 2014
Alex (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this series, and after around a year wait (far too long!) I couldn't wait to read The Fallen. My expectations were easily met. While the series may be too gruesome for some, it's gripping and I look forward to the rest of the series. It's worth noting though that you should read the other books in the series first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fallen (The Enemy Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
This book series appeals to me SO much, I absolutely love these books. I'm an 18 year old boy, started reading this series when the first book came out maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and every time I am so pumped for the next stage. This book was an excellent continuation and every book never fails to hit you with a perfect mix of action and death, along with friendships and peace. They also always mix in old characters with new characters, and my favourite part is when different groups of kids that are usually in different areas doing different things meet up, and this book contains plenty of these too. Definitely buy it. Start with the first one though, it gets complicated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series!, 9 Nov. 2013
Mrs. A. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fallen (The Enemy Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I came upon this series by chance, I read all the books within the week. I could not put them down and read well into the night! I am a 45 year old mother of two, if these were aimed at teenagers I am going to have a look in that section again! Cannot wait for the next one, hurry up please!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Fallen (The Enemy Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
If you have read the previous books you will know that the series is already full of great books, this is no exception.
I found myself thoroughly engrossed into the story with my heart in my mouth at points, all credit to Charlie higson now probably my favourite author. Every chapter entices you to read more and I have often discovered I have been reading for many hours and way past when I would normally be asleep,
If you were to buy this book, I can't plead enough for you to read the previous novels in the series as it all knits together beautifully and you don't get the full experience but fans of the series; BUY THIS BOOK!

The Fallen (The Enemy Book 5)