5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Numan 5 Albums
If you're a fan but haven't made the investment in getting Numan's full albums, there are no more excuses. This set is not only comprehensive, it's a bargain!
Published 10 months ago by Dagoberto P. Patlan

3.0 out of 5 stars Curiosity and hope got the better of me.
I bought this box set for only two reasons, "curiosity and hope", shame on me I know, do I regret it?, I guess I do in a way.

Published 19 months ago by The Sleeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Numan 5 Albums, 16 Feb 2014
Dagoberto P. Patlan "DJ Dogbone" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
This collection follows Gary's music chronology from the early days of synths trough "Warriors." Bonus tracks along with the dark hits, this collection lets you take the full plunge without killing your wallet.

Do yourself a favor and pick up this collection before they're gone.

Tracklist: Gary Numan, 5 Albums

CD 1: Living Ornaments ’81 Part One
1. “Intro / This Wreckage”
2. “Remind Me To Smile”
3. “Metal”
4. “Me, I Disconnect From You”
5. “Complex”
6. “The Aircrash Bureau”
7. “Airlane”
8. “M.E.”
9. “Everyday I Die”
10. “Films”
11. “Remember I Was Vapour”
12. “Trois Gymnopedies (First Movement)”
13. “Conversation”

7. “Cry The Clock Said”
8. “Tracks”
9. “Down In The Park”
10. “My Shadow In Vain”
11. “Please Push No More”
12. “Are ‘Friends’ Electric?”
13. “We Are Glass / Outro”

CD 3: Dance
1. “Slowcar To China”
2. “Night Talk”
3. “A Subway Called ‘You’”
4. “Cry The Clock Said”
9. “My Brother’s Time”
10. “You Are, You Are”
11. “Moral”
Bonus tracks:
12. “Stormtrooper In Drag”
13. “Face To Face”
14. “Dance”
15. “Exhibition”
16. “I Sing Rain”

CD 4: I, Assassin
1. “White Boys And Heroes”
2. “War Songs”
3. “A Dream Of Siam”
4. “Music For Chameleons”
5. “This Is My House”
6. “I, Assassin”
7. “The 1930’s Rust”
8. “We Take Mystery (To Bed)”
9. “War Games”
10. “Glitter And Ash”
11. “The Image Is”
12. “This House Is Cold”
13. “Noise Noise”
14. “We Take Mystery (To Bed)” (Early Version)
15. “Bridge? What Bridge?”

CD 5: Warriors
1. “Warriors”
2. “I Am Render”
3. “The Iceman Comes”
4. “This Prison Moon”
5. “My Centurion”
6. “Sister Surprise”
7. “The Tick Tock Man”
8. “Love Is Like Clock Law”
9. “The Rhythm Of The Evening”
10. “Poetry And Power”
11. “My Car Slides (1)”
12. “My Car Slides (2)”
13. “Nameless And Forgotten (Gangster Strut)”
14. “Sister Surprise” (Single Mix)
15. “Warriors” (Full Length Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE BOX SET, 14 May 2013
S. J. Webbon - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
Drawing on his later tenure at Beggars Banquet, this set covers the albums recorded between 1981 and 1983. In 1981, Numan announced his retirement from live performance, playing three farewell concerts at Wembley Arena just prior to the release of Dance. His retirement proved short-lived, but when he returned in 1982 with I, Assassin, some of his popularity had dissipated -- perhaps because of the retirement announcement, perhaps because the charts were overflowing with synth pop, much of which was already expanding on Numan's early innovations. I, Assassin was another Top Ten album, and "We Take Mystery (To Bed)" another hit, but in general Numan's singles were starting to slip on the charts; the title track of 1983's Warriors became his last British Top Ten hit.

LIVING ORNAMENTS `81
Recorded at the Wembley 'Farewell' shows, this show presents a concise overview of Numan's meteoric career to date and includes versions of some of his best known songs.

DANCE
A transition album of sorts, Dance saw Numan departing from the jerky machine music of his synth pop prime to embrace a (bit) warmer sound that is less robotic and more free-form. The subject matter on highlights like "She's Got Claws," "Slowcar to China," "Cry the Clock Said," and "Crash" are quintessentially Numan, but their musical frameworks are quite far removed from early hits like "Are 'Friends' Electric?" and "Cars." - John Bush, All Music Guide

I, ASSASSIN
After the spare and lengthy reflections and dislocated experiments of his excellent Dance album, Gary Numan made a return to a more focused approach with I, Assassin, which turned out to be his last truly great album for many years. Numan's work here with modern electronic funk combines his early rigor and to-the-point rhythms with a deft, creative hand in the arrangements. "White Boys and Heroes," the brilliant opening number, remains one of his best singles, featuring fretless bass work from Pino Palladino (long before both it and him had turned into rent-a-clichés), and set against droning, distorted vocals and doom-laden keyboards. The vaguely Asian (or at least the group Japan)-inspired textures of Dance linger on in songs like "A Dream of Siam" and the title track (the latter possessing a captivating hollow-drum-punch introduction), while one of Numan's most randomly entertaining songs pops up with "The 1930s Rust." It's a suave finger-snapping number that even features harmonica, but somehow Numan's ear for to-the-point rhythm and strange futurism still comes through. Perhaps the most underrated song remains the sharp hipshaker "War Songs" -- U2 may never want to admit it, but "Numb" takes more than a little from the distorted up-and-down introductory guitar clips. - Ned Raggett, All Music Guide

WARRIORS
Former Be-Bop Deluxe leader Bill Nelson was brought in to produce this album and provide some soaring lead guitar work, but the collaboration with Numan was beset by difficulties. While Nelson's production is evident on many tracks and his guitar is heard in several places, much of this is business as usual (B-side, "Poetry and Power," features more Nelson and has gone on to a great deal of popularity, especially with the Gravity Kills cover on Random). The science fiction influences here are Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Harlan Ellison's "'Repent, Harlequin!' Cried the Tick-Tock Man." While there is some evidence of confusion as to his direction, the music and songwriting has more energy than anything on the predecessor, I, Assassin, with some genuinely engaging moments along the way. - Steven McDonald, All Music Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Cd in box set, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
Right off, I m a fan, had all his albums on vinyl, never got all album vinyl back from previous ex. Great tunes & loving very much. Info & extended adds on cd make this a bargain for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Just excellent, 14 May 2013
Amazon Customer (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
Great to hear these albums again. Wow.It's been a long time (sorry Gary), although in my defence I haven't had a record player for donkeys years.

Amazing value for money, especially as I was in the process of replacing my Numan albums with cd's, and these albums were next on my list. The bonus tracks are
more than a bonus, some excellent ones, 'The image is', and ' This house is cold' stand out for me.
I think some of Numans best work is on here, but thats my personal opinion. Buy it. You will not be disappointed, even if its for just the bonus tracks and the Living Ornaments CD's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Curiosity and hope got the better of me., 16 May 2013
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)

Considering this will be the final time Beggars Banquet re-issue these albums in this format (before CDS and record shops are vanished from our sights, and the digital age has well and truly taken over) I would of liked to of seen these albums presented in a much better and interesting way. I do love the idea of each CD being packaged in the original vinyl LP covers, but the Dance album for example is not presented as a gatefold like it should be, and why haven't they included the inner sleeves with the lyrics etc too, just like the 2004 Japanese Imperial Label Imports?
Instead what we get is all very basic and incomplete, which is a shame and a disappointment to be honest.

If you're a die hard fan, you will no doubt buy this regardless of my opinion, but if you are like me, an old fan but not so hard core these days, this box set will have nothing new to offer you audio wise, we have all these tracks in some form or another, yes. And if you're a new fan from the last decade or so, and haven't got round to buying these older albums yet, they are good valuable, admitted, but the music Numan plays live nowadays, most of these tracks will be unrecognizable to you, except for what's on Living Ornaments 81. Dance is where Gary started using Fretless Bass and Saxophone, I Assassin is more of the same thing but funkier, and Warriors is like a electronic Jazz album (the worst of the bunch), I don't think any newcomers would warm up to these much, if you want to compare these albums to what Numan is doing now.

I'm not sure if Beggars will issue the older Numan/Tubeway Army albums in this way, I would assume so at some point, (which you might be more familiar with), but I can't see me buying them or less they have the original inner sleeves included too. I'd rather stick to the last lot of re-issues released in 1999 - 2001/2, and save my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
5 of numans big albums, get this if you like numan, makes a superb box set and a good taster for people

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 2 April 2014
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
One for the hardcore Numan fans. Was hoping for more commercial stuff but the two live discs are really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album collection, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
If you are a Numanoid then this is definitely the box set for you. A very addictive compilation with two live albums that are just perfect. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value!, 22 May 2013
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
5 CDs for £15, what's to moan about!? These records illustrate just how much Numan's style changed over a relatively short period. As a kid, it was great to evolve music wise with him, until the late 1980s/early 1990s, when he lost the plot with some very average releases. Luckily he's back on track!

4.0 out of 5 stars live versions, 28 Jun 2013
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 Album Box Set (Audio CD)
i was hoping for a box set of the first 5 albums.
when I saw the track listing for this release I realised it wasn't to be.
the early tracks are live versions from a double cd.
so this is really only 4 albums.
the other 3 albums are later but still worthwhile.
who could complain at this price.
let's hope the first 5 are next!
5 Album Box Set

5 Album Box Set
5 Album Box Set by Gary Numan (Audio CD - 2013)