5.0 out of 5 stars Hackney Child
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by Val

3.0 out of 5 stars this book is a must read
Very sad life we don't realize how lucky we are. I can't believe this still goes on.

A must read
Published 4 months ago by JonTownsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackney Child, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hackney Child (Kindle Edition)
Truly absorbing story that evokes all kinds of emotions in the reader. Strength, determination and a desperate need to survive, for both herself and her brothers. This book has the, must sit down and read some more factor, as your mind tries to imagine what will happen to this young girl and her siblings. Great reading and one to follow up via her own web page. Well done Hope, this is a well written and in context book. Congatulations on finding peace and happiness in your adult life. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely thought provoking and truly insprirational, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hackney Child (Paperback)
This book was extremely thought provoking for me. It raised many issues in the previous way in which fostering was conducted such as single parents not being able to foster and also about the voice of a child not being heard properly and the impact this can have upon the child and upon their self opinions. It covers issues of self harm, attachment and of a child's reaction to change in circumstances. This book highlights the importance of the need for stability in children's lives, especially highlighting the impact change in staff/SW's can have upon vulnerable children and how they interpret these changes of staff. It discussed the impact of poverty, alcohol and prostitution and also the cycle of behaviour from generation to generation. It was shocking how a child in care who was deemed unmanageable was put into a secure unit (like prison) and it wasn't even explained to the child as to why? It really gave an intimate insight into a child's coping mechanism to rejection and also peoples interpretation of their coping mechanisms. What was extraordinary was that even though the care system in my opinion treated Hope appallingly, she still believes that she was best off in care as the alternative would have been worse - stating that care didn't damage her, she was damaged already. Overall a truly inspirational book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read, 25 Jan 2014
jackie kelly (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hackney Child (Kindle Edition)
My sister recommended this book as I'd read most of the book's on my Kindle
So glad she did as I couldn't put it down and read late into the night and was still going into early morning!
Such an amazing story told by the truly inspirational lady who lived -survived and came through and has been brave enough to put pen to paper and share her journey!
The book left me speechless at times and there were lot's of tears as I read some heart wrenching things that No child should ever have to live through!
I diff my hat to you for writing and sharing your journey and wish you much love and happiness and never forget that you are and will continue to be a wonderful inspirational amazing Lady who without realizing has touched many heart's and helped many with your story

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, really well told, 31 Aug 2013
D. Wilkins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hackney Child (Kindle Edition)
This is a really well written book regarding one child's particularly difficult childhood experiences (and those of her siblings). I would heartily recommend this book to anyone interesting in understanding more about how childhood experiences can have a profound impact both immediately and in later life but also for anyone interested simply in reading a gripping story.

I also found, as a social worker myself, that reading this book made me reflect on my work with children in perhaps similar circumstances and how important the actions of professionals can be, for good or ill.

Thanks must go to the author for sharing her story in this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ruined childhood with a happy ending, 8 Feb 2014
Mrs. J. S. Godfrey "Bookworm" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hackney Child (Kindle Edition)
A brave person who had turned the tables on the cycle of neglect and deprivation that was her childhood. Well done Hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Hope!! Harrowing but compelling and more..., 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hackney Child (Paperback)
I heard the co -author and story teller on the radio and ordered it fairly soon after that. I am a social work manager and thought I was buying a book which would bring life to children's experiences of life with alcohol dependent neglectful parents. How wrong i was- it is so much more! I have worked in this profession for 27 yrs, worked with some really harrowing situations, but this made me cry!!
Hope ( I know from your interview with Jeremy Vine you have changed your name so forgive me) you have really touched my core as a social worker. What this book has done is remind me that children hold onto memories and dreams which are often not in social workers' radars - like how we use jargon ( the case conference/ suitcase reference);and then the cornflakes packet reference to a concept of a proper family and such. I think I cried more because I am a social worker and recall hundreds of "Hopes" I have worked with on caseload and have breezed through children's lives. I teach social workers on the postqualifying course now and will, I promise you tell our students to read this, your account of your experiences as a reminder that everything we do should be influenced by how it actually feels to be a child like you. There are a number of memories you make which make me gasp, none of which I would have expected to have had such a strong affect ( another being the thoughts whizzing through your mind as you wait in the Police station). I absolutely love the fact this is written as a 9/ 10 /11 yr old but then links to notes made in your files. Anybody who wants to be a good children's services practitioner should read this book and I say that having dismissed so many other books recalling abuse. Thank you for reminding me why I chose social work as a career in the first place, but more importantly for reminding me of the Voice of the Child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackney Child by Hope Daniels, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hackney Child (Paperback)
Very moving true account of the author's life story. Also good to have some positive feedback of foster carers so often these days shown in a bad light. Also story went beyond all the negative stuff and showed how someone with such a bad start could turn their life around with sheer determination, and a little support from those who really cared about her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in one sitting, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hackney Child (Paperback)
This is a compelling, and often harrowing, story of how the case system helped Hope Daniels survive and overcome an early life of deprivation and neglect. It leaves the reader wanting to know more about the care system in general and Hope in particular. The writing is sparse and powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands alone in its truthful insight of what it feels like ti be a child in care, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hackney Child (Paperback)
Amazing portrayal of the life and feelings of a Young person struggling to make sense of what is happening to them. A must read for all those wanting to do social work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank and involving story of strength and hope, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hackney Child (Kindle Edition)
Hackney Child is a frank story of strength and hope, reminiscent of The Kid The Kid: A True Story and with even more movie potential.

Hope is a truly remarkable woman, with great determination to always see the positive in every situation. The reader embarks on a trip of self-discovery, denial, betrayal, growth, strength and improvement. It is an emotional journey narrated by a child in the care system, and with all the detail you could expect from someone who experiences the world from a very different point of view.

Excellent and gripping read, with all expectations met and surpassed!

Hackney Child