on 4 December 2001
An enchanting tale of a young one's lost teddy. The story not only promotes caring and concern for another but of sharing.The unselfish act of immediately giving the young baby elephant his own special teddy to keep him company whilst he searches for the lost tedy is truly such a selfless act that hopefully when hearing the story and talking and discussing it children will be encouraged to perform good deeds like Elmer. The great concern of Elmer at the loss of someones special teddy sets him on a quest to find the missing teddy; on his way he encounters many of his animal friends who also have their own special teddies,he searches relentlessly through the jungle , around the lake and to no avail until he hears a voice, it's the lost teddy, but teddies cant talk and who should appear but Wilbur his cousin who spotted the teddy and knew Elmer was close by so decided to pretend the teddy was talking asking to be taken home back to its owner. The young elephant was so grateful to Elmer for finding his special teddy but even more so for lending him his special patchwork teddy.This is a perfect book to use in a classroom situation to promote and to encourage caring and sharing among young children; (it would be nice to have a patchwork bear like elmers to accompany the soft elmer toy.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2008
If you are an Elmer fan, then this is a particularly charming tale of a lost teddy and Elmer's search for it. Baby Elephant is sad because he has lost his teddy and so Elmer kindly lends him his own, an Elmer-patterned teddy that stands out from the teddy crowd. before setting off through the jungle to find Baby Elephants own. On the way he passes many of the jungle animals settling down clutching a teddy bear before he finds and returns Baby Elephant's. Elmer's cousin Wilbur is concerned that Baby Elephant will want to keep the brightly coloured patchwork bear because it is so unusual but Baby Elephant is delighted to be reunited with his own ordinary brown bear.
This is a heart-warming book within to the Elmer series having, as many of them do, a subliminal message. Whereas the very first Elmer book helps the reader understand that it's great to be different, in "Elmer and The Lost Teddy", Elmer tells the listener that "You don't have to be different to be special." Fantastic!
on 7 February 2009
David McKee really hit on a winner when he began writing his Elmer stories.
This one about the baby elephant who looses his teddy is delightful. All Elmer stories feature a message to children, in this instance it's how special we all are. My 2 year old grandaughter loves the bright illustrations and finding the hidden animals, while her seven year old brother understood the tricks and sequence of events leading to the happy ending. I would recommend Elmer books to anyone who enjoys reading to children
on 30 June 2013
These comments apply to all the Elmer books I ordered, with a purpose of encouraging children in schools to read them critically. The formula is a good one which helps children to accept that it is OK, even good, to be different. But in some of them I suspect that David McKee has rather run out of steam. Not that any of the children have said that, so far!
on 9 September 2011
My son is 2 and chose this book off the shelf in a shop himself. At first glance, I thought this book may be too young for him but he was so insistent that he liked this book that I got it for him anyway. Three months later, we have read this book as the finale every night at bedtime. The story is gentle and calming before going to sleep and I think all children understand the preciousness of a teddy bear and appreciate the chance to talk about it - especially as they settle down with their special teddy for the night. It is also beautifully illustrated.
on 16 December 2010
This is a great book! well worth it, my 3yrs son loves it! it one of the first ones to come up at night! and great it has the cd for tell the story aswell
on 30 August 2010
Bought the two Elmer books to go with Elmer the soft toy. Great little stories to read to my grandson. Same efficient service from Amazon - as always.
on 26 June 2014
This is a sweet story told in a simple and direct way. The colours are beautiful and are cleverly used to explain the story through pictures as well as words. I bought it on my Kindle Fire and my not quite 2 year old grandson was entranced (as was I).
on 13 October 2014
Loved by all my grandchildren - and me ! It is the story of a lost favourite bedtime toy and of Elmer's search to find it, meeting no the way all sorts of animals who say their young could not sleep without their favourite toy. A delight.
on 15 July 2015
I like the different pretty patterns all on Elmer and his teddy bear. Elmer is kind to lend his teddy bear. I liked this when I was younger but I don't really know why now. By Eddie aged 4.