5.0 out of 5 stars supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Published 12 months ago by S Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars I've read this somewhere before?
This could be such a great book if it wasn't so damn repetitive! The beginning is so interesting but by the end you've literally read it all before. I can imagine how it was written, the way one would write a school essay- bitty paragraphs, clumsily lumped together in a hurry, without reading the piece through as a whole. Such a shame.
Published 2 months ago by Patesy

5.0 out of 5 stars supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, 14 Aug 2013
As a self obessed, self confessed Mitford Fantatic/Fan etc I found this book to be totally refreshing!! I have pretty much every Mitty book written about or by the Sisters themselves. This book has fresh material, new anicdotes and is fun to read. You will never now be in doubt as to organise a Funeral, enjoy christmas in a true Mitford way, enjoy a country Shooting / Hunting weekend in Squire fashion. I found I could not put the book down and it is now and should be every young Ladies Bible. Decca was my least favourite and after reading this book I find her to be a little more interesting and Fun. Pamela im now in Love with more I find as I am with Debo and Diana. It is as good IF not Better than the Letters by the girls themselves. If you have not purchased this book then do so immediately and make it one of your top non-Steables as Debo would say. Enjoy the book as I know I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondair!, 17 Oct 2013
K Cowdall (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
So much has been written (and re-written) about the Mitford sisters that it would be virtually impossible to tell the reader anything new. In 'The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life', author Lyndsy Spence relates all the well known (and some not so well known) events, anecdotes, opinions and comments in a most novel and entertaining manner. An excellent book to read in one contented sitting or dip in and out of at leisure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mitfordtastic!, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life (Kindle Edition)
I have read lots of books about the Mitford girls and think this rates as one of the better ones... It contains lots of facts that I hadn't heard before and is brilliant especially for newcomers to the world of all things Mitty.. Really enjoyed it.. Also, lots of never before seen pictures which added to it's appeal. A must read for all Mitford fans and ideal for getting new followers too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine and interesting book !, 28 Aug 2013
The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life is a very interesting book. A lovely "dip in and out book" I know I will definitely return to it again and again. For someone who is a newcomer to the Mitfords, it covers so many aspects of their personalities and their extraordinary lives. Very much worth the very reasonable price !

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 14 Aug 2013
M. Tyler - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I am already a big fan of the Mitfords and that period. I've pretty much read everything there is to read about this famous family. This book is a wonderful addition to my collection and I can highly recommended it to fans and newcomers alike. It's written in a fresh, compelling and very entertaining style and gives new insight and fresh material. Delighted to find many photographs that I have not seen before. I found it hard to put this book down, and I suspect I won't be the only one

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 25 Sep 2013
I really love Mitford's book, they are wonderful and so it was a pleasure to read this beautiful Mitford Girls' Guide full of so many curiosity. I found it very interesting and I really like the way of writing. Compliments to the writer Lyndsy! She is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mitford's fireworks, 5 Nov 2013
Biography is a dangerous genre to an author. The best he-she seems to be to celebrate the life of one often very famous and revered, the more he-she tends to dissolve and disappear, behind the facts, the dates, the quotations, the anecdotes of someone else's life ! Writing a biography is being invited at someone's party, where you will have to stay in the back. Looking at the others dancing and having fun. Like one of those pale silhouettes in a Jane Austen's novel, forever longing to be the queen of the ball, but hardly noticeable, and with a name nobody will ever remember ! Well, Lyndsy Spence skipped that inglorious scheme. In her first biography "The Mitford Girls Guide to Life", she not only orders the sequence of the ball, but conducts the orchestra, arrange the flowers, and leads her famous heroines as a real writer should do ! Her book is smart, funny and witty. Although I've never been that much interested in the Mitford Girls (hardly knew about them), I've spent a wonderful time, reading about the nonsenses, the eccentricities and the tragedies of this family, which covers the main themes of the past century. I love the way Lyndsy Spence organize her book. Not according to the boring scheme : birth, life, death... But on an abstract improvisation, which gives a good idea, of the fireworks world where the Mitford lived. Were the greatest sin seemed to be common or worse, boring !

3.0 out of 5 stars I've read this somewhere before?, 13 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, quintessentially English, 21 Dec 2013
I reviewed this delightful book back in August (On Madame Arcati blog) and am not in the least surprised at its success. It's quirky, quintessentially English (which is odd because Lyndsy is Irish - I think), a guide and etiquette book of sorts but also a wallow in 20th Century interwar eccentricity. Daffy is another word that comes to mind.

Lyndsy has gutted the lives of the Mitford girls and turned them into parables, bullet point social codes and how-to guidance to live this life successfully. From Unity's fixation on and pursuit of Hitler we learn: 'Don't rush head first into an encounter with your idol as this will label you as another fan. Edge your way in slowly and discreetly.' This example does raise a question over the precise location of Lyndsy's tongue at times (in cheek, perhaps?) but there is sufficient quantity of information on the Mitford lives to reassure on overall deadpan purpose. Certainly I learnt a great deal more about the Mitties.

Lyndsy Spence is an author to watch. She is very young - and driven by a passion for old school glamour and style. Not only has she founded The Mitford Society with a large following but she has found time to release the first of the The Mitford Society annuals which comprises many features and essays on the aristocratic clan. One piece is authored by me - I take you to the Arcati Horoscope Revue Bar where we learn more about the astrology of the gels as stripper potential is appraised. It's all done in the best possible taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars More interesting facts about the Mitfords, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life (Kindle Edition)
Not sure I would call it a well-written book and initially thought it very disjointed. But got better as it progressed with some very detailed intimate information about this unique family. It certainly added to knowledge already gained, though might be difficult for anyone reading about this family for first time. Found it fascinating.

The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life