4.0 out of 5 stars Too short a story, I want more!
Engaging characters, fascinating setting and a wealth of detail that speaks of careful research by the author. I will be looking for more by S.J.Parris.
Published 9 months ago by susiesnake

2.0 out of 5 stars Rip off
I have read all the other titles and loved them but perhaps because I think that this is a real rip-off,I didn't like it.The publishers,Amazon and the author have all colluded in what should be chapter one of a first book.
Published 8 months ago by Mary Shelley

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short a story, I want more!, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Secret Dead: A Novella (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A case for the young Bruno, 22 Jun. 2014
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This is a short story featuring SJ Parris's C16 heretical philosopher-detective-spy, Giordano Bruno. It takes place in 1566, when Bruno is a novice of 18, and is party to an illegal dissection of the body of a young woman, whose mysterious and violent death form the basis for subsequent events... Its well-written, as are the novels, and is a good introduction to the character. I hope we see more of the younger Bruno.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, dark and sinister, 19 Sept. 2014
This is a very well written, dark and grim tale. I found myself a bit shocked by the scene with the girl, it was so well conveyed, made me feel quite uncomfortable! It's so sad that stuff like this no doubt actually went on!

My only criticism is that I didn't feel there was a definitive ending, and was quite surprised when I realised it was over. I would have liked a bit more resolution.

Highly recommended, beware if you are squeamish!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Dead, 6 July 2014
A captivating little tale from Bruno' s former life as a Dominican monk-almost a prequel to the Bruno stories set at the Elizabethan court. Enjoyable but over too soon - I do wonder if Maria will appear again in Parris' s next full Bruno novel which would explain why she bothered to publish this teaser of a story. As always, I await with some impatience for Bruno' s next mystery to see if my hunch is correct!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love all the Bruno books and this was a nice ..., 8 July 2014
A short story from S J Parris featuring Bruno. I love all the Bruno books and this was a nice short story while we wait for a follow up to Treachery "Hopefully" Bruno has developed into one of my favourite historical figures with a character that seems to have grown in confidence and this is a great insight into his beginnings. Much love Stephanie long may his adventures continue x

2.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 24 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but overpriced as a paperback., 7 Aug. 2014
KLH (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
Love the book and it was ideal to read on the plane but thank goodness I had Treachery to read when I got there as the book really is short :-D. Needed more and certainly feel it is too expensive in paperback form for the size of book!

1.0 out of 5 stars The previous books brilliant I would have forgone this if I had of ..., 3 Nov. 2014
More of a leaflet then a book, The previous books brilliant I would have forgone this if I had of been S J Parris, to me its let her down and dampened my enthusiasm for more!

4.0 out of 5 stars The secret dead: a novella by S.J.Harris, 6 July 2014
Nice light read, a little gap filler in the Bruno series. A view into Bruno's earlier life before the adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't get enough of S. J. Parris ..., 14 Dec. 2014
I can't get enough of S.J.Parris and this novella introducing Giordano Bruno has been a welcome interlude until her next full novel appears, which I can't wait for. The author brings Bruno and the Elizabethan period alive with her writing and I feel she rivals C.J Sansom who I also admire.
I can only say more please and soon.