Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 14 August 2013
I've never written a review on Amazon prior to this, but, well. I struggled with "The Tudor Wife", finding it so unrealistic it was almost laughable, but given the low price of this, I felt I should give the author another go, as I love historical novels from this period.
The central character of Jane Grey is so unrealistic and unbelievable, and from my limited reading on this family, her interpretation of the rest is equally incredible. I really, really wanted to like this book, but the ridiculous Guildford and co, and the inclusion of yet another random affair for which there doesn't seem to be any need, made it virtually unreadable. The only character I could really believe acted the way he is written was Northumberland, with his scheming and plotting.
I hate to have to sound so negative, but if you want a good set of Tudor novels, which at least make an attempt to be realistic, stick with Philippa Gregory and co...
on 10 August 2013
I'm not sure who told this author she could write - nor am I sure why I actually bought this book, having ploughed through a couple if her other books.
The character of Lady Jane Grey in this book is appalling. Her Father is utterly cringeworthy and Guildford Dudley is just plain embarrassing.
I think someone should sit this author down, go through the Tudor timeline with her and then make her promise to never EVER write another book on this period again.
Awful awful awful awful awful
on 2 December 2013
I did not like the prologue but once that was read, the novel was a super read, written from the unusual perspective of Lady Jane Greys youngest sister, the historically ignored Lady Mary Grey. Life in the 16th century was not easy for woman of noble birth, many of whom lived, and died, at the whims of men and the monarch. Mary Tudor actually comes across as likeable in this tale, a juxtaposition to the usual 'BloodyMary' and it gives the impression that she did not want to execute Jane and Guildford, realising they were innocent pawns but was forced to by her absent husband, Philip of Spain because she wanted him to love her.
Highly recommended for all Tudoe history followers.
on 4 September 2013
Dull and repetitive. if I had read about one more piece of embroidery or the individual flowers that made up a bouquet i would have screamed.
on 14 November 2013
I would accept that the historical background is probably authentic, but for my taste it is over-written with much emphasis on detailed description of fabrics and decoration; also (worryingly, for me) on the sado-masochistic element and the physical handicap of little Lady Mary. The possible insights into the character of Lady Jane were interesting
on 25 December 2013
This is the first book I have read by this author and I'm unlikely to read another.

Emily Purdy appears to have taken some random, unproven rumours (I can't call them facts, because they are not), and woven them around the the most basic known facts of the lives of the Greys. The main players are two dimensional caricatures who would be laughable if they weren't so cringeworthy.

The sisters' mother, Frances Grey, has been given the worst interpretation of her character. Her evil reputation arose almost 150 years after her death, to fulfill the role of antagonist to her daughter Jane's saintly nature. I was disappointed that the author chose to utilize this 17th Century 'spin', rather than research the characters properly. Together with the Grey girls' pathetic father, Jane's husband Guildford, the evil Elizabeth I, and the thin haired, stump toothed and pathetic Mary, I felt that the author had been lazy in her research and simply wanted to sell books.

The author filled page after page with descriptions embroidery patterns,dress/costume descriptions, and very deeply detailed descriptions of fabrics to the point I could have screamed.

The chosen family and their fate could have produced a fabulous piece of historical, fact based fiction, but Ms Purdy chose the easy way out and filled her book with embroidery details when she ran out of things to say about her poorly researched characters.

Cinnamon probably appears in around 90% of pages. I felt I had ingested a couple of kilos of it by the time I had finished this book.

The kindle edition of this book was cheap enough. Had I paid more than that, I would have felt cheated.
on 17 May 2014
This was a depressing book, to be expected I suppose, considering the title. Little Mary Grey's' story was touching and her character exceptionally strong but overall the darkness of the age was a little overwhelming for me.
on 2 June 2015
This is one of the weakest books written about the Tudor period. I struggled to get through it. I doubted some of the story actually happened, suspecting artistic licence at play. There was a lot of unnecessary descriptions of sex and lewd references.
on 13 September 2013
I agree with some of the reviews about this book, yes there are many instances of artistic license, and many, many inaccuracies. However if you accept the book as historic "fiction" then it's very enjoyable. Worth a read for any Tudor fan!
on 8 December 2013
Not as good as I thought it would be. If you want to know about the fashion of the day in great detail together with all the gems that went into them then this is the book for you. For me there was not enough story to it.