4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!
A very nice anthology here, much better than most horror collections that I've read. None of the stories were bad, although there were a couple that I didn't quite warm to, as well as a handful that I enjoyed, and two - "Voices of the Soul" and "Bloodlines" - that I thought were piercingly beautiful.

I skipped "Voices of the Soul" this time round, as I have it...
Published 3 days ago by Sati Marie Frost

2.0 out of 5 stars to short
these stories just get started then there over not enough to get your teeth into could have been so much better
Published 4 months ago by Mrs. C. Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Paranormal Anthology with a TWIST (Kindle Edition)

I skipped "Voices of the Soul" this time round, as I have it as an ebook (and am planning on rereading Rene Folsom's Soul Seers series soon) but I remember it was an A* read - one of my top five books last year. "Number 18" was a decent enough story, although I'd guessed what was going to happen. I wish they'd decided to call this anthology "Twisted" or something slightly less obvious than what it's called. KNOWING each story has a twist makes them less shocking when they come. Not sure how I felt about "Sweet Lenora". I enjoyed the story but I'm undecided on the ending - it seemed abrupt. I hadn't figured out the twist, although I was prepared for various other things, from Josef being Joe Stalin to Charlie being a creature of the night of higher rank than Jakob. :)

"Truth or Dare" was good - very atmospheric - although once again I guessed the twist. My mind is twisted, I guess. :) "Suburban Zombie" was short and sweet, and literally made me LOL.

"All I Want for Christmas" was brilliant. The epistolary style works really well for stories like this - it makes the big reveal feel more shocking to me. The narrator's voice was so very much like that of a 13-year-old girl - kudos to the author, because that's not an easy thing to write, particularly for a man. And the sting was quite deliciously twisted. "In the Eyes of the Beholder" had an interesting storyline that kept me guessing, but it felt a bit overreaching. At times it felt like a collection of disparate elements that didn't quite come together.

"Little Tchotchkes" was a delight from start to finish, and just kept surprising me. I liked the beginning of "I am Serna" - Damon was an interesting enough character to be part of a full novel. Didn't like the end. I wasn't expecting it, though, which I guess is a good thing?

"Bloodlines" was stunningly beautiful. "Metronome" was seriously creepy. I wish it hadn't been the last story - "Bloodlines" would have been a much nicer ending note.

5 stars for "Voices" and "Bloodlines", 3 stars for a couple of the others, and 3.5 - 4 for the rest, evening out to a very credible 4 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Paranormal Anthology with a TWIST (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant anthology separated into 11 short stories. I don't want to ruin the surprise of any of the stories so has instead written by opinions of them all individually not giving the stories away.

Voice of the Soul - Rene Folsom
I absolutely loved this story! Very well written and I found myself drawn into the story. Will definitely be looking into reading the other novellas which continue this story.

Number 18 - Michael Loring
Short but sweet, this had my mind wondering from the beginning what would happen. I immediately thought the predator wasn't what he was portrayed to be so this had a great twist to the ending.

Sweet Lenora - Bart Hopkins
I personally didn't enjoy this story as much as the previous 2, for a short story it seemed to take longer to get to any real content and i found it hard to connect to the main character.

Truth or Dare - Jon Messenger
A well written short story, but I found it very predictable as the the outcome. I would have liked to have seen an extra chapter maybe to see the main characters reaction to the outcome.

Suburban Zombie - Anthony Lance
This really made me giggle! A very well written, alternative view on zombie life! A very interesting short read.

All I want for Christmas - Jason Brant
Amazingly written and the twist at the end was brilliant. I would have never guessed that outcome! Amazed at how well Jason wrote from the view of a 13 year old girl!

In the eyes of the beholder - Penelope Barlotto
An interesting piece with an interesting twist, well written and to me came across as a TV/movie concept.

Little Tchotchkes - Nicki Scalise
Wow the twist on this was amazing! So well written and i would love to see this story expanded to its potential to see all the prior events leading up to this point and to see the outcome for the little plant!

I am Serna - Magan McMinimy
Short and well written with an interesting twist at the end which was unpredictable and unexpected.

Bloodlines - SL Dearing
This Story didn't appeal to me as much as the others, it was well written but the story just didn't draw me in as much of the others. I think I felt the ending was rushed and would have liked to see a bit more expand it.

Metronome - Eaton Thomas Palmer
This was a very intriguing story, I would love for this to be expanded into a longer story to see some background into the clock and to see what the future held.

Overall I really enjoyed this anthology and it has totally left me wanting more! I was very impressed with a lot of the authors and will definitely be looking into more of there work, I am especially looking forward into reading more of the soul seers series by Rene Folsom and will be adding them to me 'to read' list for the near future.

Cynthia Has done as amazing job putting together this anthology and it will definitively be one that I recommend to others.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

2.0 out of 5 stars to short, 26 Mar 2014