Delta Machine (Deluxe)
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.49

on 31 May 2013
I am a long time fan believe this album is the one DM have been looking to get to for some time. As always the album requires a number of listens before making a real judgement.

The blend of analogue synths, more prominent guitar and blues really works with the lyrics on the songs. Both Dave & Martins voices seem to have improved still further. The soulsavers project perhaps playing a part in vocal development for Dave.

What I was not prepared for was just how much better still the Delta Machine tracks sound live. I was at the O2 on the 28 May and having attended all the tours since Black Celebration the combination of the new material, enhancements to older tracks, lighting, visuals and Dave's performance made for probably the best DM concert I have been too. Already booked for Stade De France.

I thoroughly recommend the album (its a grower) and do try and get to see them live on this tour.Extra dates in UK later in the year.
on 28 April 2013
Been following DM since the 80's and they are my favourite band, so this is written from a devoted fans perspective. This is the album I've been waiting for for what seems like forever. Whilst albums since SoFaD have had their moments, none have had the same impact as that album or those that went before. Delta machine is a brilliant album, it brings together the old and the new DM and there are so many highlights that it's on constant play on my daily commute.
Hard to pick a favourite track but I'd go for Broken as this has great lyrical content and a punch and catchy tune.

Can't wait to see them in Manchester in November playing the new and the old - welcome back DM.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 April 2013
For a long time fan, a new release is always greeted with nervous anticipation, wondering how it will compare with their previous work.

For me this is very much up there.

The previous few releases have taken time to get into, and had too many tracks I happily skipped past .

Delta Machine was immediate. I loved it from the beginning of the opening track. I bought the deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks on a separate disc, and while I've listened to this less than disc 1 it was well worth the couple of quid extra, in fact a couple on there would have been worth inclusion on the main album.

I know 5 stars suggests perfection, but 4 stars didn't seem enough and 4 1/2 aren't possible.

Being perfectly honest there are two tracks on there I usually don't bother with and would relegate to either the bonus disc to be replaced by the better 2 or 3 on there, or possibly single b-sides in place of the seemingly endless re-mixes of the single (although I appreciate a lot of people enjoy the different re-interpretations of the singles)
The tracks in question are the Martin Gore sung, 'the child inside'
( his other lead vocal song on disc 2 is much better in my opinion)
& 'my little universe.
Although I'm finding of late, I can't seem to get the chorus of 'my little universe' out of my head so maybe I should give it more of a chance.

Overall though these are far outweighed by the albums positives.

Obviously something like music is very subjective and personal, so this won't be to everyone's taste, even some DM fans on their forum weren't overly impressed, albeit a minority.

But for me it's a very impressive album and one I regularly play again and again as soon as it's finished.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In many ways this latest offering from synth-pop pioneers cum stadium electro rock legends Depeche Mode is a distillation of much of their work since 1989's all-conquering Violator. Opening track `Welcome to my World' is a doom-laden beast that feels typical of the kind of thing Dave Gahan has been writing in his alternative persona as a solo artist, but things really kick-off with second song `Angel', which sees Gahan really let rip, accompanied by the dark beauty of Gore and Fletchers' industrial synths. The album is a real grower, and just gets better with each listen; lead single `Heaven' is a hypnotic ballad boosted by mucscular drumming, while `Should be Higher' demonstrates how Gahan's vocal style has matured over the years, and second single `Soothe my Soul' - the most danceable track on the album - could easily give Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence a run for their money as best DM single of the past twenty five years. `Secret to the End' sees Basildon's finest doing Daft Punk, and for those purchasing the double CD version of this album, `Long Time Lie' is a slice of classic Martin L Gore twisted Catholicism - all human drama, guilt and damnation.

Clearly not content to rest on their laurels, the Mode just seem to be continuing to go from strength to strength; still enthusiastically touring the world as well, they look like becoming our generations' Rolling Stones - but with tonnes of added cool and a refreshing willingness to keep making interesting new music...
on 12 January 2014
I'll declare an interest up front. I love DM, and have done since Vince left and the band discovered soul.

Once again the band have delivered .... and I am writing this review having listened to this album hundreds of times since I bought it.

The songs may not have the immediate impact of Personal Jesus or Never Let Me Down Again (my favourite) but like every good DM song they worm in to your ear and stay there. And the quality is consistently high - I bought the bonus edition with 4 extra songs, most of which were co- written by Dave and all of them are excellent.

As a collection, this is the most consistent set DM have produced since SOFAD, until now my favourite DM album. Welcome to my World starts things off in style (as it did on the Delta Machine tour), and it does not let up at all. I love the bluesy Slow, the fragile The Child Inside, Secret Until The End, Angel .... really I could list the lot because there really isn't a dud track. Fans will already have this but if you are new to DM and want to find out why they still sell out stadia across the world then buy this. It won't be long before you go back for SOFAD, Violator, MFTM, Ultra and the rest. One of, if not the best albums of 2013, despite what the critics may say.
on 25 March 2013
I am old. I remember Depeche Mode as a plinky plonky synth outfit who floundered when Vincent dipped in and out. I've in their canon found tracks I LOVE, but also tracks which blanded me out. But this. This is the real deal. They've flipped the bird to commercialism and gone for their dark, dark roots. It's a bullet to the heart. Or the memory of a needle. This is the culmination of a dark, gut wrenching journey. There is no-one around who sounds like this. Some of the minimalistic tracks will leave the less devoted bemused; but as a fan of glitchpop and experimentation, tracks like My Little Universe and are awe inspiring whereas Secret To The End and Broken, return to established Modeland and have a deeply black pop-a-heart-along beat with a blackness of lyric you'd expect to inspire... If you've ever been beModed, even remotely, go for this. The critics will hate it. Littered with self referential plinks and fizzes - we've heard it all before in one form or another and loved it. But you, because you can think for yourself, will love it. If you don't, who cares? My little universe is expanding....
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 June 2013
Incredibly, this is the third Depeche Mode album from the same production team. I say "incredibly" because they are all totally different. No repetition here! The only similarity really is that they are all utterly brilliant ."Playing The Angel" and "Sounds Of The Universe" spawned such gems as "I Want It All" and "Fragile Tension" and "Delta Machine" as a whole is arguably even better. Although there are a few lighter moments here, the album is predominantly quite dark and intense, but that is NOT a criticism! It is well worthwhile getting this special 2-disc edition because although the bonus disc has only 4 tracks, they are unmissable. Dave Gahan's voice has never sounded more impressive and the music is fascinating and hypnotic. It is a rather hard to define mixture of Rock, Pop and Industrial Techno, but whatever you want to call it the result is very pleasing and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent, meticulously crafted music that you can experience rather than just listen to.
on 8 May 2014
This is a curious and evocative album, which sees every song draped with an etherial off key atmosphere.
There are signs and hints from every previous album, but where they have always shown Depeche firmly in
our physical world, Delta Machine feels like we have been pulled through the looking glass and witness'
to a twilight dimension.

' Welcome To My World ' kicks off the album like a brooding (world in my eyes-Violator).
' Heaven ' is a plodding sombre tune of harmony, but just like Martin Gore' master stroke of sobriety - it's
not the place of lights and fluffy clouds.
After these tracks the album really embarks on a creative spark encompassing everything Depeche Mode have
done before.
My Little Universe - is like a personal conversation with the listener, with overtones of sounds of the universe.
Broken - mixes the style of a question of time with little 15 onto the canvas of playing the angel.
The Child Inside - has taken the sibling of my secret garden and dragged it kicking and screaming into the bowls
of silent hill.
Should Be Higher - melds a jaunty beat to in my room.
Alone - offers a master class symphony of speak and spell tied to a broken frame.
It makes a fascinating background anthem everytime I play TombRaider 2013.
There's a few cowboy rockblues songs in the mix like - Angel, but they're never really match the majesty of
Personal Jesus.
All That's Mine - the final is a song of haunting melody hinting of taking the eternal voyage to further realms
for Depeche Mode to explore.
There are no stand out tracks made for commerclal success as with previous albums, but Delta Machine
is more of a collective indulgence to immerse yourself and certainly a treat for long time Depeche Mode
fans.
on 1 May 2013
It's a rare occasion these days I listen to an album on the plane or on the bus, despite using both modes of transport often. But Depeche's new album, give or take a few tracks, has reversed that trend.

Artists that offer a bonus CD with an EP's worth of tracks tend to leave the impression they couldn't decide which songs to include on the final offering. Therein, however, lies a benefit in that you can define the listing you think the release ought to have had.

And so it goes with Delta Machine. The first three and the last song on the album proper are reminiscent of the worst on the last few albums: struggling, sparse and altogether not very pleasant listening. The album really kicks in at Track 4, Secret to the End one of a half-dozen songs penned by Gahan who dare I say it, is writing better songs than Mode backbone Gore. Not to write the latter off, on DM he delivers some patented Mode tracks, singing his soul out on the chorus of his hauntingly beautiful Always, The Child Inside and providing backing vocals on Alone, guaranteed to have your hairs prickling the back of your neck. With a little reshuffling of the tracks, the album comes across as an accomplishment. Many songs are reminiscent of early 80s synth experimentation with hints of Ultravox, Human League's Dignity of Labour EP and even Jean-Michel Jarre. Anthems abound in the form of Soothe My Soul (my preferred album closer) and Should Be Higher (also penned by Gahan). Part of this retro feel is down to certain numbers sounding like past classics. All That's Mine sounds a bit like Master and Servant, Broken could be Behind the Wheel and Soft Touch/Raw Nerve; A Question Of Time. Soothe My Soul is even a tad like I Feel You. But that's ok - it helps you recall what you most loved about Mode.

If you enjoyed Home or It's No Good on Ultra, there's every chance you will enjoy Delta Machine - but give yourself the flexibility to enjoy the bigger picture by going for the Deluxe edition. The four extra tracks knock socks off several on the album proper.
on 22 April 2013
Ever since Depeche Mode's 'Violator' album in 1990, Depeche Mode have fully embraced themselves in Independent Rock, so much so they seemed to have left their early 1980's pop sensibilities behind. Follow-up album 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' (1993) was the Rockiest Depeche Mode ever got to fully embracing themselves in sonic furies of Rock Gospel. A highly underrated Album,(Dare I say it),it almost seems like the voice of God is speaking through this album, such is it's unique spiritual power, for the listener.
listening to all Depeche Mode Album releases after these two, the general public finally came to a conclusion that Depeche Mode would NOT return to their Pop Roots as Depicted earlier in their Career. That was until 'Sounds of the Universe' Album got released in April 2009. What emerged from that Album was a Band returning to their earlier 'Pop' roots in terms of the electronic Synthesis on that album.
This album though, did not fully embrace that dimension, the band were STILL keeping true to the kerb of their present day love of Independent Rock Music.
Although fans love Depeche Mode's Independent Rock Music, there is also a very deep WISH from fans out there that the Band would hopefully return to their pop roots, without to much emphasis of rock guitar, REMEMBER this is a British Electronica Group.
The Influence of Depeche Mode's earlier sound is JUST TO IMPORTANT to British Music to ,just forget about.
The problems with Depeche Mode's Albums, since 'Violator' and 'Songs of Faith and Devotion', is that even though they are all very good albums, there is in truth to earlier albums of their career, a lack of consistency, through the context of the whole albums.
Lets all be honest, Depeche Mode is NEVER in this century going to make a predominately 'POP ELECTRONICA' album that is consistently 'POP ELECTRONICA' all the way through. But it would be nice if there was a reflection on the earlier part of their career, that reflected on a large part, of a new studio album's release...
Well... on this brand new studio album release 'Delta Machine', this iconic British Electronica Group' have dug deep into their back catalogue, and delivered one of the finest albums of their career.
The Incredible thing about 'Delta Machine' is the Band have been able to grasp the Past and Present, in a way that is a TRUE reflection of who the band really is.
There really are reflections on Delta Machine that hark back to early Depeche Mode albums like 'Speak and Spell'(1981) and 'Construction Time Again' (1983). Even Delta Machines Album cover is a reflection of that era.
In essence, this is the album Depeche Mode (I Believe) have been waiting to make for a very long time.
A TRULY MAGNIFICENT 'RETURN TO FORM'.
The question is now... Where do the group go from here...is it a reflection here, of their earlier sound or going back one step, and keeping away from their more poppy dimensions of their earlier career?
Well.... I for one would hope the band will continue with what is one this album and reflection not just on their present indie rock, but also the pop dimensions of their earlier career.
This is what the Band are capable of, and the music fans of Depeche Mode have been missing for many years.
Welcome Back! to the finest Electronica Boffins of Basildon Essex.
R.Howard.