Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 31 May 2013
I am a long time fan believe this album is the one DM have been looking to get to for some time. As always the album requires a number of listens before making a real judgement.

The blend of analogue synths, more prominent guitar and blues really works with the lyrics on the songs. Both Dave & Martins voices seem to have improved still further. The soulsavers project perhaps playing a part in vocal development for Dave.

What I was not prepared for was just how much better still the Delta Machine tracks sound live. I was at the O2 on the 28 May and having attended all the tours since Black Celebration the combination of the new material, enhancements to older tracks, lighting, visuals and Dave's performance made for probably the best DM concert I have been too. Already booked for Stade De France.

I thoroughly recommend the album (its a grower) and do try and get to see them live on this tour.Extra dates in UK later in the year.
on 28 April 2013
Been following DM since the 80's and they are my favourite band, so this is written from a devoted fans perspective. This is the album I've been waiting for for what seems like forever. Whilst albums since SoFaD have had their moments, none have had the same impact as that album or those that went before. Delta machine is a brilliant album, it brings together the old and the new DM and there are so many highlights that it's on constant play on my daily commute.
Hard to pick a favourite track but I'd go for Broken as this has great lyrical content and a punch and catchy tune.

Can't wait to see them in Manchester in November playing the new and the old - welcome back DM.
on 13 May 2014
As Depeche More are ageing, their focus is shifting, opening up new avenues soundwise. More raw and visceral than ever before, "Delta machine" maintains the classic DM element while also boasting a more mature overall sound, with strikingly minimal, warmer electronic elements, evoking moody techno more than the bouncy synth-pop most would expect from them. The thematology of sex, faith, religion, and death, comes as no exception again, but this time there's a strident bluesy feel running through the album, echoing the electro-blues of "Personal Jesus" from their 1990 "Violator" seminal album. While last album, "Sounds of the universe", proved a traditional DM affair sonically, "Machine" is clearly more energetic and bold, aiming to excite rather than just please. Amid trembling beats, pulsating bass, choral harmonies and soaring strings, this is a rather impressive set. "Secret to the end" and "Broken" are deliriously infectious; "Soft touch/Raw nerve" is a delicious throwback to the band's more pop-orientated material; "My little universe" is pure minimalistic brilliance, while "Should be higher" is an absolute standout, a true DM delight. "Delta machine" is an exciting and accomplished record. Simultaneously feeding from their back catalogue, and pushing the band furthermore, it is a creative piece of work that sits comfortably alongside DM's finest moments. A truly great band, "Depeche" cannot be more ironic a name for them, really. In a time where pretty much everything is "depeche", they most certainly are not.
on 23 April 2013
For a long time fan, a new release is always greeted with nervous anticipation, wondering how it will compare with their previous work.

For me this is very much up there.

The previous few releases have taken time to get into, and had too many tracks I happily skipped past .

Delta Machine was immediate. I loved it from the beginning of the opening track. I bought the deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks on a separate disc, and while I've listened to this less than disc 1 it was well worth the couple of quid extra, in fact a couple on there would have been worth inclusion on the main album.

I know 5 stars suggests perfection, but 4 stars didn't seem enough and 4 1/2 aren't possible.

Being perfectly honest there are two tracks on there I usually don't bother with and would relegate to either the bonus disc to be replaced by the better 2 or 3 on there, or possibly single b-sides in place of the seemingly endless re-mixes of the single (although I appreciate a lot of people enjoy the different re-interpretations of the singles)
The tracks in question are the Martin Gore sung, 'the child inside'
( his other lead vocal song on disc 2 is much better in my opinion)
& 'my little universe.
Although I'm finding of late, I can't seem to get the chorus of 'my little universe' out of my head so maybe I should give it more of a chance.

Overall though these are far outweighed by the albums positives.

Obviously something like music is very subjective and personal, so this won't be to everyone's taste, even some DM fans on their forum weren't overly impressed, albeit a minority.

But for me it's a very impressive album and one I regularly play again and again as soon as it's finished.
In many ways this latest offering from synth-pop pioneers cum stadium electro rock legends Depeche Mode is a distillation of much of their work since 1989's all-conquering Violator. Opening track `Welcome to my World' is a doom-laden beast that feels typical of the kind of thing Dave Gahan has been writing in his alternative persona as a solo artist, but things really kick-off with second song `Angel', which sees Gahan really let rip, accompanied by the dark beauty of Gore and Fletchers' industrial synths. The album is a real grower, and just gets better with each listen; lead single `Heaven' is a hypnotic ballad boosted by mucscular drumming, while `Should be Higher' demonstrates how Gahan's vocal style has matured over the years, and second single `Soothe my Soul' - the most danceable track on the album - could easily give Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence a run for their money as best DM single of the past twenty five years. `Secret to the End' sees Basildon's finest doing Daft Punk, and for those purchasing the double CD version of this album, `Long Time Lie' is a slice of classic Martin L Gore twisted Catholicism - all human drama, guilt and damnation.

Clearly not content to rest on their laurels, the Mode just seem to be continuing to go from strength to strength; still enthusiastically touring the world as well, they look like becoming our generations' Rolling Stones - but with tonnes of added cool and a refreshing willingness to keep making interesting new music...
on 12 January 2014
I'll declare an interest up front. I love DM, and have done since Vince left and the band discovered soul.

Once again the band have delivered .... and I am writing this review having listened to this album hundreds of times since I bought it.

The songs may not have the immediate impact of Personal Jesus or Never Let Me Down Again (my favourite) but like every good DM song they worm in to your ear and stay there. And the quality is consistently high - I bought the bonus edition with 4 extra songs, most of which were co- written by Dave and all of them are excellent.

As a collection, this is the most consistent set DM have produced since SOFAD, until now my favourite DM album. Welcome to my World starts things off in style (as it did on the Delta Machine tour), and it does not let up at all. I love the bluesy Slow, the fragile The Child Inside, Secret Until The End, Angel .... really I could list the lot because there really isn't a dud track. Fans will already have this but if you are new to DM and want to find out why they still sell out stadia across the world then buy this. It won't be long before you go back for SOFAD, Violator, MFTM, Ultra and the rest. One of, if not the best albums of 2013, despite what the critics may say.
on 25 March 2013
I am old. I remember Depeche Mode as a plinky plonky synth outfit who floundered when Vincent dipped in and out. I've in their canon found tracks I LOVE, but also tracks which blanded me out. But this. This is the real deal. They've flipped the bird to commercialism and gone for their dark, dark roots. It's a bullet to the heart. Or the memory of a needle. This is the culmination of a dark, gut wrenching journey. There is no-one around who sounds like this. Some of the minimalistic tracks will leave the less devoted bemused; but as a fan of glitchpop and experimentation, tracks like My Little Universe and are awe inspiring whereas Secret To The End and Broken, return to established Modeland and have a deeply black pop-a-heart-along beat with a blackness of lyric you'd expect to inspire... If you've ever been beModed, even remotely, go for this. The critics will hate it. Littered with self referential plinks and fizzes - we've heard it all before in one form or another and loved it. But you, because you can think for yourself, will love it. If you don't, who cares? My little universe is expanding....
44 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2013
Incredibly, this is the third Depeche Mode album from the same production team. I say "incredibly" because they are all totally different. No repetition here! The only similarity really is that they are all utterly brilliant ."Playing The Angel" and "Sounds Of The Universe" spawned such gems as "I Want It All" and "Fragile Tension" and "Delta Machine" as a whole is arguably even better. Although there are a few lighter moments here, the album is predominantly quite dark and intense, but that is NOT a criticism! It is well worthwhile getting this special 2-disc edition because although the bonus disc has only 4 tracks, they are unmissable. Dave Gahan's voice has never sounded more impressive and the music is fascinating and hypnotic. It is a rather hard to define mixture of Rock, Pop and Industrial Techno, but whatever you want to call it the result is very pleasing and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent, meticulously crafted music that you can experience rather than just listen to.
on 8 May 2014
This is a curious and evocative album, which sees every song draped with an etherial off key atmosphere.
There are signs and hints from every previous album, but where they have always shown Depeche firmly in
our physical world, Delta Machine feels like we have been pulled through the looking glass and witness'
to a twilight dimension.

' Welcome To My World ' kicks off the album like a brooding (world in my eyes-Violator).
' Heaven ' is a plodding sombre tune of harmony, but just like Martin Gore' master stroke of sobriety - it's
not the place of lights and fluffy clouds.
After these tracks the album really embarks on a creative spark encompassing everything Depeche Mode have
done before.
My Little Universe - is like a personal conversation with the listener, with overtones of sounds of the universe.
Broken - mixes the style of a question of time with little 15 onto the canvas of playing the angel.
The Child Inside - has taken the sibling of my secret garden and dragged it kicking and screaming into the bowls
of silent hill.
Should Be Higher - melds a jaunty beat to in my room.
Alone - offers a master class symphony of speak and spell tied to a broken frame.
It makes a fascinating background anthem everytime I play TombRaider 2013.
There's a few cowboy rockblues songs in the mix like - Angel, but they're never really match the majesty of
Personal Jesus.
All That's Mine - the final is a song of haunting melody hinting of taking the eternal voyage to further realms
for Depeche Mode to explore.
There are no stand out tracks made for commerclal success as with previous albums, but Delta Machine
is more of a collective indulgence to immerse yourself and certainly a treat for long time Depeche Mode
fans.
on 1 May 2013
It's a rare occasion these days I listen to an album on the plane or on the bus, despite using both modes of transport often. But Depeche's new album, give or take a few tracks, has reversed that trend.

Artists that offer a bonus CD with an EP's worth of tracks tend to leave the impression they couldn't decide which songs to include on the final offering. Therein, however, lies a benefit in that you can define the listing you think the release ought to have had.

And so it goes with Delta Machine. The first three and the last song on the album proper are reminiscent of the worst on the last few albums: struggling, sparse and altogether not very pleasant listening. The album really kicks in at Track 4, Secret to the End one of a half-dozen songs penned by Gahan who dare I say it, is writing better songs than Mode backbone Gore. Not to write the latter off, on DM he delivers some patented Mode tracks, singing his soul out on the chorus of his hauntingly beautiful Always, The Child Inside and providing backing vocals on Alone, guaranteed to have your hairs prickling the back of your neck. With a little reshuffling of the tracks, the album comes across as an accomplishment. Many songs are reminiscent of early 80s synth experimentation with hints of Ultravox, Human League's Dignity of Labour EP and even Jean-Michel Jarre. Anthems abound in the form of Soothe My Soul (my preferred album closer) and Should Be Higher (also penned by Gahan). Part of this retro feel is down to certain numbers sounding like past classics. All That's Mine sounds a bit like Master and Servant, Broken could be Behind the Wheel and Soft Touch/Raw Nerve; A Question Of Time. Soothe My Soul is even a tad like I Feel You. But that's ok - it helps you recall what you most loved about Mode.

If you enjoyed Home or It's No Good on Ultra, there's every chance you will enjoy Delta Machine - but give yourself the flexibility to enjoy the bigger picture by going for the Deluxe edition. The four extra tracks knock socks off several on the album proper.