5.0 out of 5 stars Best material since SOFAD & great played Live!
I am a long time fan believe this album is the one DM have been looking to get to for some time. As always the album requires a number of listens before making a real judgement.

Published 15 months ago by Patents Pending

3.0 out of 5 stars Better
Delta Machine is better than Sounds Of The Universe, although some of the songs could've done with a bit more work (they sound unfinished). The album sags a bit in the middle. However, there is enough good material to make loyal fans happy. The bonus tracks on the deluxe edition are worth having too.
Published 16 months ago by David Goodman

5.0 out of 5 stars Best material since SOFAD & great played Live!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)

The blend of analogue synths, more prominent guitar and blues really works with the lyrics on the songs. Both Dave & Martins voices seem to have improved still further. The soulsavers project perhaps playing a part in vocal development for Dave.

What I was not prepared for was just how much better still the Delta Machine tracks sound live. I was at the O2 on the 28 May and having attended all the tours since Black Celebration the combination of the new material, enhancements to older tracks, lighting, visuals and Dave's performance made for probably the best DM concert I have been too. Already booked for Stade De France.

I thoroughly recommend the album (its a grower) and do try and get to see them live on this tour.Extra dates in UK later in the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their very best, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
Been following DM since the 80's and they are my favourite band, so this is written from a devoted fans perspective. This is the album I've been waiting for for what seems like forever. Whilst albums since SoFaD have had their moments, none have had the same impact as that album or those that went before. Delta machine is a brilliant album, it brings together the old and the new DM and there are so many highlights that it's on constant play on my daily commute.
Hard to pick a favourite track but I'd go for Broken as this has great lyrical content and a punch and catchy tune.

Can't wait to see them in Manchester in November playing the new and the old - welcome back DM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best material in recent times from Depeche Mode., 23 April 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
For a long time fan, a new release is always greeted with nervous anticipation, wondering how it will compare with their previous work.

For me this is very much up there.

The previous few releases have taken time to get into, and had too many tracks I happily skipped past .

Delta Machine was immediate. I loved it from the beginning of the opening track. I bought the deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks on a separate disc, and while I've listened to this less than disc 1 it was well worth the couple of quid extra, in fact a couple on there would have been worth inclusion on the main album.

I know 5 stars suggests perfection, but 4 stars didn't seem enough and 4 1/2 aren't possible.

Being perfectly honest there are two tracks on there I usually don't bother with and would relegate to either the bonus disc to be replaced by the better 2 or 3 on there, or possibly single b-sides in place of the seemingly endless re-mixes of the single (although I appreciate a lot of people enjoy the different re-interpretations of the singles)
The tracks in question are the Martin Gore sung, 'the child inside'
( his other lead vocal song on disc 2 is much better in my opinion)
& 'my little universe.
Although I'm finding of late, I can't seem to get the chorus of 'my little universe' out of my head so maybe I should give it more of a chance.

Overall though these are far outweighed by the albums positives.

Obviously something like music is very subjective and personal, so this won't be to everyone's taste, even some DM fans on their forum weren't overly impressed, albeit a minority.

But for me it's a very impressive album and one I regularly play again and again as soon as it's finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate. It's black., 25 Mar 2013
DBT "dt" (God's Own County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
I am old. I remember Depeche Mode as a plinky plonky synth outfit who floundered when Vincent dipped in and out. I've in their canon found tracks I LOVE, but also tracks which blanded me out. But this. This is the real deal. They've flipped the bird to commercialism and gone for their dark, dark roots. It's a bullet to the heart. Or the memory of a needle. This is the culmination of a dark, gut wrenching journey. There is no-one around who sounds like this. Some of the minimalistic tracks will leave the less devoted bemused; but as a fan of glitchpop and experimentation, tracks like My Little Universe and are awe inspiring whereas Secret To The End and Broken, return to established Modeland and have a deeply black pop-a-heart-along beat with a blackness of lyric you'd expect to inspire... If you've ever been beModed, even remotely, go for this. The critics will hate it. Littered with self referential plinks and fizzes - we've heard it all before in one form or another and loved it. But you, because you can think for yourself, will love it. If you don't, who cares? My little universe is expanding....

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Let Me Down Again ... they certainly haven't, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
I'll declare an interest up front. I love DM, and have done since Vince left and the band discovered soul.

Once again the band have delivered .... and I am writing this review having listened to this album hundreds of times since I bought it.

The songs may not have the immediate impact of Personal Jesus or Never Let Me Down Again (my favourite) but like every good DM song they worm in to your ear and stay there. And the quality is consistently high - I bought the bonus edition with 4 extra songs, most of which were co- written by Dave and all of them are excellent.

As a collection, this is the most consistent set DM have produced since SOFAD, until now my favourite DM album. Welcome to my World starts things off in style (as it did on the Delta Machine tour), and it does not let up at all. I love the bluesy Slow, the fragile The Child Inside, Secret Until The End, Angel .... really I could list the lot because there really isn't a dud track. Fans will already have this but if you are new to DM and want to find out why they still sell out stadia across the world then buy this. It won't be long before you go back for SOFAD, Violator, MFTM, Ultra and the rest. One of, if not the best albums of 2013, despite what the critics may say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
Another great album from 'the boys', I have always been a huge fan and it continues to annoy me a little that one of the UK's most successful groups have never had the recognition here that they receive globally. They have 'cracked' the USA market where so many others have tried and failed from the UK and still sell out the O2 easily.
Soft Touch/Raw Nerve or Soothe My Soul would have been great singles if released. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Delicious!, 16 Jun 2013
MikiJimi (Leicester, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
Incredibly, this is the third Depeche Mode album from the same production team. I say "incredibly" because they are all totally different. No repetition here! The only similarity really is that they are all utterly brilliant ."Playing The Angel" and "Sounds Of The Universe" spawned such gems as "I Want It All" and "Fragile Tension" and "Delta Machine" as a whole is arguably even better. Although there are a few lighter moments here, the album is predominantly quite dark and intense, but that is NOT a criticism! It is well worthwhile getting this special 2-disc edition because although the bonus disc has only 4 tracks, they are unmissable. Dave Gahan's voice has never sounded more impressive and the music is fascinating and hypnotic. It is a rather hard to define mixture of Rock, Pop and Industrial Techno, but whatever you want to call it the result is very pleasing and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent, meticulously crafted music that you can experience rather than just listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiky electro-blues; nice, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
In many ways this latest offering from synth-pop pioneers cum stadium electro rock legends Depeche Mode is a distillation of much of their work since 1989's all-conquering Violator. Opening track `Welcome to my World' is a doom-laden beast that feels typical of the kind of thing Dave Gahan has been writing in his alternative persona as a solo artist, but things really kick-off with second song `Angel', which sees Gahan really let rip, accompanied by the dark beauty of Gore and Fletchers' industrial synths. The album is a real grower, and just gets better with each listen; lead single `Heaven' is a hypnotic ballad boosted by mucscular drumming, while `Should be Higher' demonstrates how Gahan's vocal style has matured over the years, and second single `Soothe my Soul' - the most danceable track on the album - could easily give Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence a run for their money as best DM single of the past twenty five years. `Secret to the End' sees Basildon's finest doing Daft Punk, and for those purchasing the double CD version of this album, `Long Time Lie' is a slice of classic Martin L Gore twisted Catholicism - all human drama, guilt and damnation.

Clearly not content to rest on their laurels, the Mode just seem to be continuing to go from strength to strength; still enthusiastically touring the world as well, they look like becoming our generations' Rolling Stones - but with tonnes of added cool and a refreshing willingness to keep making interesting new music...

3.0 out of 5 stars Better, 20 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Delta Machine their best post Violator album., 28 April 2013
This review is from: Delta Machine (Audio CD)
After the disappointment that was Depeche's last album Sounds of the Universe, an album I cannot listen thru having to shunt thru 70% of the tracks, I was wary of any future offering from the band, esp given that Ben Hillier was still on production duties. This was somewhat alleviated by Flood, whom produced Violator, their best album and Songs of Faith and Devotion twenty years ago, on mixing duties. In fact Flood's participation gave me alot of hope, esp after I heard Angel and the first single Heaven, even tho I was told Heaven is not really an example of what makes up the rest of Delta Machine. Then just before release of the album, Soothe My Soul was released on you tube as a video (possibly to spark more interest for the album, esp in America), and this track really settle it for me that the band were back where they belonged in their element.
Upon finally receiving the album thru my door, I was not to be disappointed. There are several very strong tracks on this album from the minimal starter Welcome to My World thru to Broken which to me bring thirty years of DM canon crashing aurally around my ears causing a surge of sadness and nostalgic endorphins all at once. I must say I have had this track on repeat quite alot. Dave just sounds so... different, like some kind of slithering soulman, his voice grates, in the good way and intermixes so well with those delta blues guitar riffs juxtaposed with DM's trademark electronica. Martin is on top form on the one main album track he leads The Child Inside (thankfully he sings a second track on cd2 of the Deluxe Edition as well),
When I can listen to an album all the way thru again and again, each listen, without skipping thru any of the tracks, then i know I'm on to a good thing. This album Delta Machine lives up to all of the usual hype and out performs that hype threefold. Definately worth getting and makes up for the near disaster that was Sounds of the Universe.

Delta Machine (Deluxe)