on 27 April 2013
For those of you interested in this set.

I already have Series 1 so am only commenting on Series 2.

Picture quality on series 2 is great, seems to be a step up from 1 which was decent.

The english subs are well done and professionally worded.

Now for the interesting part, first time I have run into this. Since it is from Israel the DVD cases open on the left hand side but much more important....

All the menus are in Hebrew, there will be up to 4 episodes to pick from using the middle button in the on screen menu.

These run left to right in this order

Episode 1 Upper Right Corner
Episode 2 Upper Left Corner
Episode 3 Lower Right Corner
Episode 4 Lower left Corner

Same order on the other disks

Basically everything reads from RIGHT to LEFT, not left to right as far as episodes due to the nature of the language.

SO much better than Homeland, we yanks are on a roll, we trashed The Killing remake, we dumbed down this series and we are off to make inferior version of The Bridge and Borgen.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 October 2013
This is a review about the box-set and not the show, which is excellent.
The series is the best I've seen in a long, long time, 5 stars are not enough to rate Hatufim, it deserves 10 at least. Season one has recently been shown on German TV and we could hardly wait another week to watch the next episode. We definitely couldn't wait a couple of months for the second season so we ordered this box set... and here the problem begins.
When we ordered it, we weren't aware that it would ship from outside the EU (some of the sellers tell you, mine -Danastore- didn't, neither did Amazon). Only after ordering you find out you'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the order will arrive, also that there might be custom involved. After 5 weeks - two weeks later than predicted - the DVDs finally arrived and I had to pay 20% customs. I think Amazon should tell customers BEFORE ordering where the order comes from, that additional costs will be involved and how long it will take until the order arrives.
Now to the box set: My first impression was that it was put together rather carelessly. The episodes haven't been especially arranged for DVD and were left as they were shown on TV. So each episode begins with a summary of the previous one and ends with a teaser of the next one and also shows the station logo. But one can live with that.
The box-set is in Hebrew with subtitles in Hebrew and English. The subtitles are well done and it is easy to follow the show. BUT in our case not all the DVDs have English subtitles. We were in the middle of season 2 when we chose English in the subtitle menu and they came up in Hebrew. This was the case with all episodes on this DVD. Without English subtitles one is lost. Reading the other reviews this doesn't seem to be the only box-set with this error.
The seller never sent another DVD, even if he had done so, I would have had to pay customs again. I got a refund from Amazon but I'm still left with the customs paid. Regarding that this is not the only case where the DVDs don't work properly and this set is shipped from outside the EU (which makes replacement difficult) I cannot recommend to buy it. Too much time and hassle involved with no happy ending. I will just have to wait until it is released in Europe. This is very sad, because the show is absolutely brilliant.

I ordered the DVDs again, this time from Lindot. She is very, very helpful. If you contact her in advance you can speed things up. This time all the DVDs had English subtitles. So I add one star and give it three now. Still the quality of the DVDs isn't too great, my TV set is quite simple and still I noticed the poor sound, also there are a few lapses.
But the show is great and worth it...although the 2nd season is (being measured by the outstanding standard of the 1st one) not as strong as season 1, even though it's still very good - especially the acting of Assi Cohen. At the end of season 1 the plot is culminating, at the end of season 2 the story comes pretty much to an end, most secrets are being lifted. Unfortunately there is not much left for a 3rd season.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 January 2014
SERIES 1:

This is a very poorly manufactured DVD. The Aspect ratio is 4:3 Widescreen, therefore there are black bars top/bottom/left and right.
The Audio at times is poor with a few glitches along the way. The picture at times stalls and then continues. After every episode we get "Next on Prisoners of War", at the beginning of the next episode we get "Previously on Prisoners of War". Whilst this is OK for a television series that you watch week by week, for a DVD this nonsense should have been removed.

A friend lent me the Australian release; the difference was astounding. Better quality video, correct aspect ratio (16:9), no Next/Previous for each episode, no audio glitches.

SERIES 2:

Much better quality than Series 1. Correct aspect ratio. However the same Next/Previous nonsense for every episode, better video and noticeable better sound.

THE DRAMA:

There is no point reviewing the contents other than giving you my opinion. I found the drama, acting and production to be excellent.
There is no point comparing it to the American re-make as the U.S. version diverged so far from the original story line. I have now seen both series and the Israeli series is far superior.

SUMMARY:

I purchased my set from Buy Music Europe (Amazon Market place Seller). I will ditch this box set as the quality is poor in comparison to the Australian release. I would recommend the Australian DVD of Series 1 as the one to buy, unless you happen to require Israeli subtitles.
on 8 June 2013
If you like the genre then you will love this.
gripping from start to finish and a perfect demonstration of quality Israeli production.

I only wish I could see it again for the first time, makes homeland seem like a kiddies show.
on 4 December 2013
This is a review of the ordering process and hidden charges, not the content.

I'm sure the show will be five stars and worth the wait, but we do expect to pay the advertised price and have the total price, including import duty and postage, clearly marked at the checkout.

We certainly don't expect to pick up the tab for handling international postage upon collection at the depot (the Royal Mail refused to deliver it to the door due to outstanding charges).

There was no indication of the extra £4 import duty PLUS an £8 Royal Mail handling charge, apparently due to under payment of the postage to the UK.

Following the initial purchase price of £20.99 at the time of the order, this hidden charge added a further £12, bring the overall price to £32.99.

Not impressed and would at least expect a refund of the avoidable £8.
on 28 September 2013
This box set covers series 1 and 2 of 'Hatufim'- the multi award winning Israeli TV series that inspired Homeland. It was called 'Prisoners of War' in English, which is actually wrong, since the correct word is 'Abductees'. The first series was simply AWSOME- fabulous, tense and amazingly unpredictable. About 10 times better than Homeland.
Then came series 2. And it's in a league of its own, off the chart fantastic, and amazingly, even better than series 1. Much, much better. I Watched the first hour, then could not stop watching over the entire weekend... Cannot recommend enough. Buy it, enjoy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 May 2013
One of the best TV series that I have ever seen, great acting, psychologically intense, disturbing, thrilling! Great insight into the Mideastern conflict.
on 3 October 2013
Possibly because my expectations were so high I was ultimately a bit disappointed by the series.
In general it very well acted. All the females, including the Arab actresses in minor roles, were excellent - as were the three lead male actors who played the POWs. But the second leads of Haim and Jamal (?) the Arab double agent who led the torture of the prisoners were far too weak to carry the roles.
But my main problemswas that the conclusion of the plot was far too weak and undermined the credibility of the story.
SPOILER do not read on if you have not seen the Series.
That the IDF/Israeli government would deliberately leave their POWs locked up and tortured for 17 years, and then send in a highly trained super hero to assassinate the Sheik who lived just over the border and apparently unprotected in a small village that was connected to Israel by an underground tunnel that the IDF knew about is ludicrous. And it all went wrong anyway and they ended up putting poison in his tea. That could have been done at any time during the 17 years.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 January 2014
Great drama unfortunately when I got to the last DVD, series 2 episodes 9-12, there were no English subtitles. I have reported this to the seller so hopefully I will get a replacement as I really want to know how it all resolved.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 May 2014
Yes, Homeland IS hugely entertaining and well-acted, particularly by Clare Daines and Many Patinkin, but if you want believability and total immersion then Kidnapped is the superior series. The many relationships affected by the kidnappings of the title are beautifully structured and realistic and the tension never let's up because, initially we don't, know whether the returnees have been 'turned' and there us a mystery around what happened in their captivity. Confusingly, as others have noted series 1 is also available as 'Prisoners of War' but series 2 with that title is not available at the time of writing so 'Kidnapped' which contains both series 1 and 2 is the set to get.