5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon for a review? Not really
I want to do nothing but sing this cameras praises. I really do. I love the NX1000, despite some issues, and want to love this one just as much, but it's kind of hard right now.

I'll start with the problems:
First camera had an issue where the captured image would go all garbled - example at [...]

The replacement camera feels a bit sluggish in...
Published on 4 April 2013 by C. Rabe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault, 30 Jun. 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung SMART NX300 Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Lens - Black (20.3 MP, CMOS Sensor) 3.3 inch Amoled (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The state of the art is such that at this level most cameras will be pretty good at what they do and the differentiators can be very subtle - all of the competition is pushing the boundaries and every factor seems to involve a superlative. This is a high resolution (20.3 mp), fast (1/6000 shutter speed and 8.6 fps) twin mode (still or full HD video) camera with fast auto focus and responsive almost everything.

Those boundaries are now extending even beyond what professionals could possibly discern and for all the detail, it often comes down to that indefinable 'feel' factor. However, first for some detail:

* LCD screen

A good size to make composition pretty easy, pivots upwards to 90 degrees to the body (useful for low level shots) and also down to about 45 degrees for those higher ones. There isn't an integrated view finder and the screen is the only means by which to compose shots. Although the screen has been designed to cope with brightly lit conditions this could present problems with glare for some users and others may simply prefer using a viewfinder for composition.

The screen is touch-sensitive and you can take a shot with a touch of the screen (to the extent that it is worth switching the camera off if you are walking with it bouncing against you). It is also possible to identify and track a subject in a busy scene with sharply focused results.

* Smart options:

Lots of programmed shooting options available and I found most easy to get to grips with. These may seem like gimmicks or must have features depending on usage but perhaps better to have something and not use it than vice versa:

1. Beauty Face: automatic programming to correct facial imperfections. Quite impressive evening out of skin tones, including fairly good masking of blemishes. It doesn't create the silk purse from a sow's ear but is the equivalent of having a good make-up artist on hand with some fairly expert use of foundation.

2. Landscape: increased green and blue saturation without the need for filters.

3. Panorama: automatic splicing together of a series of photographs to create one image. I find this an interesting feature although it does result in a long, slightly narrower image so you may need to take a couple of shots before you capture the exact view you want. You keep the shutter release pressed whilst filling the preview screen with the image you wish to take, which is then presented with no visible joins.

4. Fireworks: I haven't had the opportunity to try this option out as yet but it is an automatic long exposure that should enable you to capture the full beauty of a firework scene without having to fiddle about with any other settings.

* Video

The recording button is located towards the top right on the rear of the camera, a position that makes it much more difficult to inadvertently catch when trying to frame a still shot. Conversely, I find it slightly trickier to select if I am trying to catch something quickly on film. You are limited to the lower of 30 minutes of video and a file size of 4GB per shot.

Pros:

* Small, robust body, making the camera a highly portable option to take on trips without unduly bulking yourself out.

* Lots of automatic shooting features to help you get the best shot each time.

* A tilting LCD with touch-sensitive menu and focusing.

* A good range of accessories including an 18-200 lens with image stabilisation can be purchased separately.

Cons:

* No built-in view finder; it can be tricky to properly compose shots in bright sunshine.

* No built in flash (a small flash is supplied that is slotted onto the hot shoe).

* In-camera charging of battery; the separate battery charger is not included.

* Overall

Build quality is good, with lots of metal and reminiscent of the feel of my first SLR albeit without a viewfinder. It also looks rather similar with the on/off around the shutter release and various function options on a 'mode' dial. The lens is packed separate from the main camera body in the box, which means that you receive body and rear lens covers - extremely useful when changing lenses and a nice little extra to get in the box.

The supplied 20-50mm lens provides a good all-round option for both video and stills, keeping the weight and size of the camera to manageable proportions when out and about. It doesn't include image stabilisation although probably doesn't really need it at this range. Samsung has a range of lenses so you can add to your collection and expand shooting capabilities in the future without needing to buy an entirely new camera.

As seems to be the norm, no memory card is included in the box so bear that in mind if buying as a gift to avoid disappointment.

The battery is charged in-camera via a mini USB. I prefer an external charger as I find those provide a little more flexibility, particularly for ease of charging spare batteries. The lead that is supplied for charging is also rather short, potentially limiting charging locations. It does, however, reduce the overall space taken up by the kit and an external charger can be purchased separately. One battery is supplied and holds charge well over the course of a day; a second is always useful as a backup so that you don't find yourself unable to take that last shot just because the battery is exhausted.

Samsung packs an awful lot of features into this small camera, really improving the shots you take with very little effort from the user other than the need to do a bit of reading plus experimentation to get the most out of it. You will obtain decent pictures using the 'auto' setting but there are a lot of enhancements available within vast menu options so there will be a learning curve before you can get the most out of it.

I found it difficult to determine whether I was being seduced by some gimmicks or won over by a very good, compact camera that can just about do everything for you at the touch of a button/ turn of a dial leaving you with only the task of composing the shot. Even that last task is made somewhat simpler by a 'best face' smart feature that allows you to select the best shot of each person in a group and so eliminate the need to keep retaking that group wedding picture, for example...

Overall this is a good little camera that offers a wealth of options that should keep any photographer happy. There are some drawbacks although these feel insignificant in the face of all of the positive features.

The final issue is that 'feel' factor - was it relatively intuitive to use, ergonomic to handle and fundamentally did I like it as a piece of kit? Yes. A positive yes. The competition is tightly packed but for me the sheer list of features makes it difficult to think of what else would be on my wish list, with the exception of perhaps an integrated viewfinder and flash. It is worth thinking carefully about whether either is important to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, does it all!, 13 May 2013
Firstly - for anyone looking for the camera sans lens - their lens is fantastic, and you can't shoot without it.

For a compact camera this little beauty does the lot. The only thing I haven't found is that, even with the macro feature, this camera doesn't get as close up as I'd like. Don't get me wrong it definitely does the job, but it doesn't go so close that you can see every intricate detail on a ladybird etc. The manual focus on the lens is great, definitely give that a go! It'll focus onto the fine hairs on someone's arm across the room - but then it zooms out again and takes the whole shot. That's probably the one thing I don't understand about the camera, it'll zoom in so well/so far to allow you to focus, but it wont let you take photos that close.

One great thing about this camera is that it will focus on just about anything, even in the wind. It will be a little blurry from time to time if the object is moving (as almost any camera would be), but it's MUCH better in this respect than previous compacts I've bought; Samsung are really upping their game.

Another thing I love is that everything is to hand, you can find all the buttons easily and move around the features quickly. There are some shortcuts on the top of the camera and they are definitely very handy.

I'd definitely say if you're looking for something really advance but not quite an SLR, buy it. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like to travel and was looking for something small and ..., 17 Mar. 2015
Neil Franklin "mcqueen" (england) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera at the weekend as I was looking for something that was totally ideal for my style of photography . I have used a Canon 20D DSLR since 2009 and over the years since have bought all the lens, tripods camera bags, filters etc as you do . I have also bought LUMIX and Leica compacts which have given me full auto and full control in a smaller body etc.
I like to travel and was looking for something small and easy to use and yet still have all the bells and whistles of a DSLR and I think now with the Samsung NX300 I have found it !
This camera is still new to me and I have a way to go yet to get to know it properly but these past few days have to be honest blown my mind !
This camera is unbelievable and does things that 5 years ago we could only dream of , also if you are someone who uses most social media sites then this is the best camera you could buy today . You can take a picture and send it to Facebook , flickr ,twitter etc in seconds .
I could give you the stats as others have on here but the bottom line is that this camera is ...The future :)

Little update.... Friday 20.3.15... I have had this camera now for one week and it is great ! I have taken some very impressive shots and really got the feel for it now . it is ideal for anyone wanting to take shots of say items to sell or for business purposes say for estate agents who wish to take pictures and then send straight to the office or website ? It is so light to carry and you can walk for miles and hardly notice you have it on your shoulder or round your neck ! I will be of course be giving it a more through testing as the weeks go by but just wanted to share this update with anyone looking to buy this awesome camera ..oh and the free lightroom software is brilliant !

Hey its me again :) Thought I would share another cheeky little update with you guys :)

Tuesday 7.4.15, Well all is still great with the camera and I feel now I have found all the bells and whistles I said this camera had when I purchased it ! As a buyer and a massive researcher before I buy anything from £350 cameras to £4 washing powder tablets I still have to say that this was the best purchase I have made this year .
I really do love this camera in both build quality and picture results at the end of the day ,which to be honest is all we ever really want from any camera be it this one or a £5000 Leica!

I have, however just two little issues with the camera which maybe is just me being a grumpy 50 year old or not, you decide ?
Firstly, whatever Samsung were thinking when they designed the flash unit which fits on the top I really do not know .It is just not ideal for any indoor or outdoor work no matter how much light you may have ! I have tried it in all situations and its well ,Pants (and yes with a capital P ! :) So if having a flash is something which you believe is going to be used a lot and it is a deal breaking for you when you look to purchase this camera then here are the solutions I think.
(A) of course don't buy the camera ( yeah bit silly but it has to be said )
(B) buy the accessory flash which Samsung have now made and are selling.

This is a bit cheeky really as they obviously knew that their kit flash was infact Pants and now you will have to shell out a staggering £150 to solve their tacky design problem, but it does seem to operate like a proper flash as it as a flash power setting and a swivel head for bouncing the light instead of just blinding your poor subjects and spoiling their entire day ! I will be purchasing one this weekend ..Yep and I will be reviewing it of course !! :)

Secondly , the time it takes to change from any setting on the main dial doesn't seem annoying until you have done it a few hundred times. I mean it might sound petty and you may be thinking really ,but let me tell you it is very, very annoying and seems totally pointless to anyone as you really don't need to see a smiling family or a fancy image of Manual ,Shutter priority ,Aperture priority etc before the camera setting changes .

So there you have it and I am sure you will hear from me again next month ! Haha :0

No ,but seriously having reviews on here is very important and we should all be given a chance to find out what the products we are buying with our hard earned cash actually are like by real working class people and their true life experiences and not by muti -million dollar companies that really only want you to buy their stuff !

I really do hope that my review has helped any future buyers of this camera and if you are looking for any good reviews on this camera and its amazing features online then you should check out this guy

Thanks for looking and reading my review .. :)

Hey its me again I have now bought and I am using the new Samsung flash and boy it rocks !!
please read my review on the following link page http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0081G3638?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks for reading :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little camera, 4 Mar. 2015
Superb little camera.
I bought this as I normally use a DSLR with battery grip and F2.8 lens' (so big and bulky) I shoot wedding photography in my spare time and wanted something smaller for when I'm travelling and something I can hand to family/friends when i wanted a photo taking without having to spend 5 minutes explaining how to use a DSLR to them first.
The picture quality from this is equal to my DSLR and sometimes I have trouble identifying which was taken with the DSLR and what was taken with this.
The compact size is perfect for slipping into a coat pocket (provided you have a pancake lens attached)
My only gripe is the relatively slow autofocus when compared to my DLSR.
If your on the fence about purchasing a mirrorless then i would advise to try one out as the focus speed can be the deal breaker when coming from DSLR - its not a huge deal to me as, if I need fast focusing I can always grab the DSLR.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon for a review? Not really, 4 April 2013
C. Rabe (Twickenham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I'll start with the problems:

The replacement camera feels a bit sluggish in comparison to the first, having to sometimes tap the touch screen multiple times to get a response.

Another way it feels sluggish, is on the first camera, using the instant touch AF, I could pretty much instantly take another photo once the review image had gone. Now on the new one I am having to wait until the processing has finished before I can take another. This adds about a couple of seconds. This may not sound like much, but it has made what was a really useful feature to me a bit useless.

The next problem is not really anything to do with a faulty camera - Video!

NX1000 (and I assume NX20/200/210) had a video mode dial. In there you got a proper 16:9 view of what will be captured, and FULL control over settings.

On the NX300, there is no video mode dial, so you have no way of getting a 16:9 preview until you hit record!

At first you may think you get full manual control over video, as in each respective PASM mode, you will get control over aperture, shutter, etc, but you WILL NOT get control over ISO - it's auto and that's that!

There are ways they could address those two issues, but one can't buy a camera on the hopes that they will, and I am posting this as a warning to those it would bother.

Focus still struggles a bit in dimmer light.

Focus still has a tendency to "pump" in video mode, though this seems less of a problem with the 18-200mm zoom.

Are there positives?

I will take the positives from the first camera, despite it's frequent screen/capture corruption issue:

Image quality is fantastic. They really have improved the sensor noticeably.

Focus is fast and accurate. Though this can depend on lens as well (Why do we only get the 20-50mm option here in uk???)

MUCH improved ISO usability - dodgy ground going over 3200 on NX1000, while on NX300, ISO 6400 still very good, and 12800 still surprisingly good as last resort.

Handling - it's a bit bulkier than the NX1000, and makes it much easier to hold, and the video record button is better placed to prevent accidental pressing.

Feels better balanced with some of the bulkier lenses - 60mm macro and 18-200mm zoom.

Video is better overall, despite those issues above, and you now get half speed slow mo at 1080p (if you set frame rate to 25 fps).

At this point, I am unsure as to whether I will keep the replacement, or send back as faulty as well. And then do I get a replacement or refund? I have now invested in several lenses for the system, costing a ton... so I will likely try yet another camera.

Maybe the sluggishness is all in my head, but am positive the first camera was far more responsive. The touch screen is definitely less responsive...

So, if you get a camera without problems, and are not too worried about those annoying video decisions of Samsung, then you will likely be over the moon with this camera.

I am now partly sorry that I did not just go with NX20, despite the nice improvements in general speed and image quality.

I may re-rate this review at some point, but for now, it's 3 stars are very deserved (in my case)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why a DSLR when you can have the same in a small package?, 1 May 2013

I bought this camera 2 weeks ago at the Samsung flagship store at Westfield shopping centre in Stratford, East London, for £499 including the 20-50mm kit lens. It was love at first sight... while fumbling about with one of the abused and worn display cameras at a temporary promotion stand inside the shopping centre the lovely assistant told me about the NX300 which I hadn't heard of before. Owning the Galaxy Camera for some months I was eager to pick up a camera which indeed delivers good quality pictures and a better usability (instead of the overladen and sluggish Android UI, as much as I love Android). I went over to the store, had a bit of a hands-on and went home, only to spend the rest of the evening googling for the NX300 and comparing it to other cameras. It seemed to be top-notch, especially as it comes with all the bells and whistles of a DSLR (except an optical or digital viewfinder, of course) but in a much smaller package.
As the price was £599 "everywhere" I went back to the Samsung store the next day, asked them to confirm the £499 price tag (which they did) and bought it right away. To be honest: I wasn't fully aware of the two different short tele kit lenses (18-55 and 20-50mm) and the difference between them.
At home I unpacked everything, was happy about the general quality feel of the camera but less happy about the cheap feel of the lens (more about that later). I inserted a used 8GB MicroSD and tried to take the first pictures: the only thing that happened was a total software crash everytime, I couldn't even turn the camera off! It took me another 2 frustrating hours to find the reason: the storage card was damaged! After inserting another one (32GB Sandisk class 10) everything worked fine.

The next day I went on a longer photo tour and was happy with the easy UI (touchscreen and hard-buttons), the menus are well thought through and fully logical.

On my walk I noticed:
- the 20-50mm kit lens works much better than it looks, it can be retracted for transport which makes it rather compact. It's also very light (at least the body is fully made of plastic, including the lens mount). The AF motor can be noisy and slow when it tries to lock on something but can't. Tapping a suitable motive edge on the touchscreen almost always helps the AF to lock (which is otherwise not always entirely satisfactory). Manual focus works brilliant with the centre of the motive being magnified several times in order to be able to precisely adjust sharpness as soon as the focus ring is being turned. Zoom and focus rings only require very little force. The lens lacks an image stabiliser (which the more expensive, heavier and bigger 18-55 has) but I didn't really miss it thanks to its short maximum zoom. According to a thorough physical test of the lens ([...]) the 20-50 performs even better than the 18-55.
- it's better to rely on the handy EV scale on the display rather than on the optical impression from the screen: about 50% of my photos were overexposed. Using the EV scale and keeping the red bar at or close to the +/-0EV mark produced perfect exposure.
- while ISO100 up to ISO800 are absolutely fine with next to no noise (only detectable when deeply zooming into the picture), the high settings of 12800 and 25600 are more or less useless and produce pictures of the quality taken with an average smartphone at low light. But that's not a fault of the camera, more a system-related issue which is valid for more or less all cameras and surely not helped by the high resolution of the APS-C chip.

As 50mm is not a brilliant zoom length I immediately ordered the 50-200 lens for £139 (ebay, new, 2nd generation). It's much heavier than the camera and also rather bulky. Zoom action is not very smooth and needs some force, there's apparently a lot of friction going on in the zoom apparatus. The lens has an AF/MF toggle switch (for the 20-50mm lens you need to switch the mode via software which is only two clicks) and just like all the other NX mount lenses an iFn button which opens a menu in which some settings can be selected by twisting the focus ring. The 50-200 zoom lens is also equipped with an image stabiliser, which can be turned on or off via menu settings (again not more than 2 or 3 clicks). The 18-200 lens only seems to be 2nd choice with its additional length, rotating filter mount and heavy distortion ([...])

Taking my Galaxy Camera and my 8 years old Sony DSC-F828 bridge camera for comparison I can only say the NX300 is a brilliant camera. White Balance (a real issue on the Galaxy Camera) works perfectly and can be further manipulated via presets for e.g. tungsten and flourescent (hi and low/warm and cold) lighting, sun, clouds and two manual settings where you can either select the colour temperature (Kelvin) or taking a "picture" of a white underground where the camera automatically sets the appropriate WB.
Single beam autofocus works in maybe 8 or 9 out of 10 cases, but it can be helped by pointing the focus area to a suitable edge through tapping the touchscreen. Multiple beam AF works better but I don't use it much as I mostly like to focus on special details.
Picture quality is top notch, nothing to argue argue about, really nothing.
When I see my friend sorting all the buttons spread over the entire body of his Nikon D7000 I'm very happy with the menu system and general usability of my NX300.

Last but not least some words about the wifi functionality.
If you own an Android smartphone or tablet you can install the Samsung Mobile Link app and easily transfer pics between the camera and your Android device for example for quickly sharing a photo on Instagram or wherever. You can also transfer pictures from the camera to Facebook, Picasa and Skydrive, unfortunately not to Dropbox though. And sure enough you can hook it up to your PC via MicroUSB cable or simply throw the full-size SD card into a card reader.
The Samsung Remote Viewfinder App (Android) allows a very basic remote control for the camera via your Android device with options to save the picture either on the camera or phone or both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan. 2014
At first I was concerned, as it had no viewfinder, however I found that the camera is excellent. It's far better than I had hoped. I am new to photography and was concerned about size,as I travel a lot, which is why I didn't want to go for the larger dslr options on the market. That said, this camera does feel very easy to use and gives excellent shots. I would recommend this camera to anyone. One thing I would like to clarify is that it comes bundled with both an external flash and a copy of adobe lightroom, which wasn't clear in the product details. Excellent camera well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder, 8 Oct. 2013
C. Pirson (Guildford, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought one of these to replace a stolen Panasonic GX-1.

It's a good all-rounder with some useful features (the direct share to your Samsung smart phone is quite handy if you're into that kind of thing). The high ISO performance is pretty good, especially in Jpeg format where Samsung have been able to tweak the noise reduction to suit the sensor, but (as usual) better results can be gained from processing RAW files yourself.

Ergonomics are good too, although the focus assist lamp is placed in such a way that you often cover it with your right middle finger. Not the end of the world, but occasionally it's frustrating.
The camera doesn't have a built in flash but does come with a little hot shoe mounted one. This seems like a bit of a shame as it sort of ruins the overall aesthetics but it works and does have the advantage of being in line with the lens.

The screen is impressive - it's huge and as responsive as any modern smartphone (think iPhone 4/5, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 etc). The tilt feature is useful but slightly limited as it doesn't rotate sideways. Otherwise the camera body is brimming with tech and it's a joy to use.

The lens (20-50mm) is good overall. It's not stabilised and doesn't sport the fastest apertures on the market, but it performs well and is surprisingly sharp wide open. The iFunction system works although I personally don't use it and prefer to operate the exposure controls from the control wheel on the camera body.

All round, it's a nice package and pretty good value for what you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars No expert, but a leap forward for an amateur, 21 Mar. 2014
As above, use this for taking building site and architectural photos as well as personal use.
Only down side is that there isn't a bag for use, the peripherals are a bit thin on the ground.
Also bought the 16mm wide angle prime lens, this is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 19 Nov. 2013
Love it..!! Thats what i expected. And this is the lowest price i have found on the internet. I would recommend you to get this camera online.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›