5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clean carpet, smells fresh
Published 16 months ago by tinyelf

2.0 out of 5 stars Very stinky.
Published 7 months ago by Becca

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clean carpet, smells fresh, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
I purchased the power powder to help lift stains and marks from my cream carpet, I have two messy children and two dogs so you can imagine how bad the carpets get.... The bag is big and does more than one carpet, it can be resealed for another use. I followed the easy instructions and covered my full carpet with sprinkles of the powder and then used a hand brush over the area this helps work the powder into the carpet. The powder is moist but dried within the 20 mins stated on the bag. When dry the moist powder turns into fine talcum powder and you can feel the carpet is dry before vacuuming. I used my bagless vacuum cleaner and the powder lifted well. I could see the carpet was super clean and all stains and dirt had lifted. I did two carpets within 30 mins from start to finish. I am so happy with this new product that I am stocking up my cupboard it really is amazing and my clean cream carpets are like new again. Carpets are left with a fresh scent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Removes carpet stains, 27 Jun 2014
Mrs. Angela Bradshaw "Quo fan" (Didcot, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Grocery)
And does so really well. I hadn't appreciated you needed to rub it into the carpet before hoovering it up (it does say so on the packet instruction). As I don't have a broom, I ended up on my hands and knees using a brush. However, it does do what it says it will and leaves a lovely smell in the room. Quite impressed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very stinky., 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Grocery)
I used this on an oatmeal/beige carpet, heavily soiled from feet and bikes entering the house. I wasn't expecting it to get rid of everything, but thought I'd try it as a cheap and more convenient cleaner than hiring a Rug Doctor. Unfortunately I think I'd need to buy so much to clean our carpet that it would end up costing more. Plus, it stinks. The instructions warn you to keep the rooms ventilated, but it still absolutely reeks. Some reviewers have called the smell "fresh", but to me it smells like I've squeezed System 3 acrylic paint up my nose. It's that sort of synthetic smell that tightens your lungs and makes your eyes ache, though it did go after 3 or 4 days.

I applied it twice in the end. The first time I applied it to the whole carpet, then brushed it all in. The instructions say to use a 'soft brush', but lacking that I gently brushed with a scrubbing brush. I wasn't sure if I was just pushing the powder around rather than working it into the carpet, but it covered the whole space so I left it for about an hour and a half to be certain it was dry, as it was a cold, wet day. After hoovering there seemed to be some slightly paler areas around stains, where I guess I'd scrubbed a bit harder with the brush, but otherwise the carpet still looked filthy, so I tried again. The second time I brushed the powder in as I sprinkled, just in case it had been allowed to dry out before it was brushed in the first time. I also scrubbed much harder, ensuring that most of the powder vanished into the carpet, and concentrated my efforts around the particularly grubby bits (if you have to do it on hands and knees like I did, I suggest a face mask; it's extremely pungent). I left it the same amount of drying time as before and hoovered again. This time worked better, and I think the carpet may be a bit brighter, but the cleaner patch under the doormat still stands out very strongly against the darker, greyer area surrounding it, and the stains are still very obvious.

Perhaps this works better on lightly soiled carpets, but I wouldn't recommend it for medium-heavy soiling on a pale carpet. Nor if you are at all bothered by strong synthetic smells. I definitely wouldn't want to use it with children or animals in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for stains, 24 Dec 2013
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was keen to use the product as our carpets had become very dusty after weeks of having builders working.

The power powder is pretty easy to use. You vacuum the carpet well, shake the bag, peel off the strip on the bottom shake over the carpet, brush in and leave for around 20mins until dry then, vacuum up.

The product is lightly scented a little like fabric conditioner. Its recommended to ventilate the room during use and whilst the powder wasn't irritant to me whilst being applied, I did find it irritating when sitting in the room after it had been applied, and after I inhaled a lung full whilst emptying the vacuum cleaner at the end of the job.

I was unsure how much to apply. The packet suggests using more product for dirty carpets how is that judged? Being frugal I aimed for a light dusting, however the perforations at the bottom of the bag have little flaps so the product does not flow out easily and I couldn't get an even layer from the bag. Brushing it in help to distribute it evenly. The cleaning powder is white and once brushed in, even on my cream carpets I could see a thin layer of product to tell where it was. I brushed quite lightly at first, however to remove dark stains I found a deeper brushing worked better. I had one area of carpet with a large black current jam stain this took 4 small applications of product to remove it. The product is not marketed as a spot cleaner but I would recommend it for this, I didn't find the colour removed from the carpet, but there is a warning on the packet about this and it would be wise to try a small to of sight area if you have dark carpets just incase.

I didnt find the reseal tab worked very well on the bag, but using the product over two days it did not dry out significantly. The one bag cleaned a small bedroom and medium sized lounge.

Did the carpets look cleaner after the process, yes but a lot of that was down to the through vacuuming (I used a Dyson with the small stair attachment to get a good suck!) But to be fair when I was the carpets with an aqua vac they don't look a lot cleaner its the colour of the collected water which gives the amount of dirt away. We didn't have any strong odours to remove so I can't comment if the cleaner freshens as well.

The powder is very fine and if I had skin allergies, any breathing problems or a crawling baby I might want to try out a smaller area first to make sure it was not going to cause irritation.

Overall recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Carpet Cleaner, 24 Dec 2013
Mr. G. Johns "Master Mason 6407" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow! I know that Vanish has a good reputation - but had no idea this particular carpet cleaner would be better than anything else I have tried; I thought, what can be improved - it's just a carpet cleaner - but this is amazing! It does exactly what it says on the pack - superb!

1.0 out of 5 stars .., 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Grocery)
The product was a bit of a disapointment as it dident work as well as i had hoped the carpet is a bit cleaner than it was though at least it smells good

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Grocery)
I have a large supposed to be cream rug in my daughters bedroom.. Over the months it has slowly turned brownish! I saw this on TV and thought I'd give it a go, so glad I purchased. Sprinkled it on brushed it and left for 20mins.. Hoovered and it's back to its normal colour! Now it doesn't look brand new again but so much better than what it did look like.. Also leaves the room smelling fresh which is a bonus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 23 Jan 2014
A. Gothorp - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Leaves the carpet smelling fresh. Is easy to use. However I am not sure how much it actually cleans the carpet as opposed to just really freshening it up. Not really a substitute for cleaning with a carpet washer.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 15 Jan 2014
Ms. M. Cheung (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite a strange product, it's a bag of damp powder that you shake onto the carpet you want to clean. It reminds me of Shake n' Vac from the 1980's, and I suppose it works in much the same way but probably Vanish works better as the damp powder apparently sticks to the dirt inside the carpet.

I tested this out on my living room carpet, which is cream-coloured, and there were some dirt marks near the doorway as we were moving things. I followed the instructions and shook the bag and then peeled off the sticky tape covering the holes at the bottom of the bag of Vanish, and I then proceeded to shake the bag all over the carpet. This was a mistake as I then had to walk all over the powder to scrub it in - much better to shake it over a small area and then scrub it, then work on the next area, so at least it's not all over your socks. It was quite hard to scrub it in, then my husband had the great idea of using the brush from the Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit that we already have. This made the job much easier as it saves you from scrubbing on your hands and knees.

I found the powder to be quite lumpy, and had to work to really scrub it into the carpet. The instructions said to wait 20 minutes to let the powder dry before hoovering, so we waited 20 minutes but it still had not completely dried. We then went away and did something else, and after another 30 minutes or so went back to hoover the (mostly) dry powder. The results were surprisingly good, the dirty marks were gone and my carpet was restored to a nice cream colour all over. I only used the bag for the one room because the rest of the downstairs has hard flooring and the upstairs has a dark grey carpet, so there is loads left in the packet for the next time the living room carpet needs cleaning.

I would say, however, that the Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit is easier to use as it dries much more quickly, and is less messy as the powder got everywhere. Also, the powder still hadn't dried completely after 50 minutes, so there is probably still some left stuck to my carpet fibres.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brill on New Carpets but...., 6 Jan 2014
J. Bond "Xelous" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We tried this on two areas, one a whole room, and one a partial rug (200cm x 160cm). On the new rug with its new pile the powder easily made its way into and was easily vacuum'd out of the fibers, leaving the rug smelling fresh and looking great.

However, when tried on an old carpet, the sort of thing you might specifically buy this product to rejuvenate, with the pile all trod down and no way for the powder to either penetrate or be sucked off easily it left nothing more than a slightly damp - and moisture attracting - creamy patches over the carpet surface. The carpet itself being green, this was a problem.

The powder and indeed its TV advertisement show it going on and off the new pile easily, but put this on a worn old haggard fabric and no dice, it simply could not work, that is not to say it does not work, it could not work.

Vanish Powerpowder 650 g (Pack of 3)