5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, no need for a Media Center PC
Published 10 months ago by NR

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slimline
Published 3 months ago by Olympus

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, no need for a Media Center PC, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT130 Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black (Electronics)
I was planning on putting together a custom Media Centre PC running Windows 8 Pro's Media Centre but needed to more urgently replace my aging DVD player. Glad I took the time to research this because now I don't need to buy an expensive PC, I have all the essentials right in this little box. Forget DLNA (which it has), the killer feature for me is the ability to connect directly to my LAN and browse (through standard Windows authentication methods) my server which houses our movies and recorded TV. The network browsing interface could be much better, it's not elegant or particularly well thought out. If you have 000's of files in one folder, it's not easy to scroll through them so organisation is the key to getting the most out of it but the way it delivers on the screen is outstanding. It plays all the formats I care about including mkv. As a Blu-ray player, it's fast and smooth. Great purchase. Might even sign up for Netflix which is also built-in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic BDT130 Blu-Ray Player Review!, 6 Feb 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I needed something simple, good value yet has the quality to last. Panasonic in my view are one of if not the best TV/Vision manufacturers around. Their TV's are certainly top of the game and mine have never put a foot wrong. Based on that i purchased this and have to say i am more than happy with my purchase. Simply hook it up to your TV via a spare HDMI socket and you good to go once it has booted and initialised! This player is Full HD playback and i can confirm blu-ray movies look spectacular, the audio link from the player to the TV is also first rate and nothing has been lost. It also upscales DVD's pretty well too!

The remote feels quality and has everything you need on it and is easy to navigate as are the menus/software included. At the front of the machine it is all kept clean and simple with the disk drive being covered and a simply yet clear display showing current time of play-through. There is faint fan noise with mine which isn't a problem when a film is playing but when you pause a film you can hear the fan inside, other things worth noting are that you can connect the player up to the internet via Ethernet cable and gain access to video on demand like YouTube and Iplayer and indeed new software updates.

VERDICT: For the money you will struggle to find a better Blu-ray Player and you can tell it's well made and it plays the movies incredible well. It is 3D ready so if/when you upgrade your TV you'll be good to go. I'm not going to over paint the canvas as other blu-ray players do more but for what it is i have no problems in commending this product especially as it does what it was designed for i.e. playing movies, very well indeed!!

RECOMMENDED!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good performance for the price, 27 July 2013
I already owned an earlier Panasonic Blu-ray player (DMP-BD 75) but wanted to get a second one for another TV and this looked good value.

Positive points - very easy to setup (including the network setup which was far more difficult on the BD 75), picture quality and sound are great and the added features of Youtube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer are good to have. Scale-up of standard DVDs seems to give good images.

Negative points - the box is a little too wide and doesn't match up with standard box widths, I've seen a couple of sponsor ads which I think are unnecessary, the remote control of my DMP-BD 75 is programmable to allow you to control a few features (on/off, volume and source selection) of non-Panasonic TVs which is nice but this one, although it has the same buttons, doesn't have that feature so you end up with 2 remotes when you watch a DVD.

The player is 3D but that doesn't interest me - is it only me and Japan who thinks 3D is a gimmick? Japan appeared to drop 3D years ago! Every time I've tried to watch it looks very false and I end up feeling sick!

If you want to play DVDs from other regions you will need you get a device to change the setting to multi-region and you can find these on the internet for not much money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The look is pure sophistication, 2 Jan 2014
I like the look of the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray and it works brilliantly. I have had so many DVD players over the years and I think this is the best I have bought so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need in a Blu Ray player., 29 April 2014
So I picked up one of these last year as an upgrade for an standard definition DVD player in our family lounge, I then got a second one for my own room. Need less to say I like this Blu Ray Player.

This Blu Ray player is perfect for anyone upgrading from DVD, it meets every outlet of media in today's viewing space, it will make your DVD's look better through up-scaling, Blu Rays look fantastic, if you connect to the internet you can watch through Netflix and YouTube, and even connect to your PC network to stream videos from you PC from another room.

If your looking for a Blu Ray player look no further, its one of the cheapest and best on the market, if in the future you want to upgrade to one of the £200 players you can, but you probably wont find the need to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but nicey!, 15 July 2013
I got this 'free' with my new 50" Panasonic TV so wasn't expecting much, but it is absolutely fine as a second system blu-ray player and quite a revelation as a media player too. OK, it has to be a wired connection to my router unless I want to fork out (£47?) for the proprietary Wi-Fi adaptor, but that's not a great problem for me. Can see all media carrying devices on my network and plays music and video back just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 3D Blue Ray for the price, 7 Jan 2014
I wanted a Blue Ray player around the price bracket of £50-£60 that had the follow:-

- 3D capability with 2d-3d conversion
- Has a Digital Optical Output (Toslink)
- USB Ports
- DVD upscale

This does all the above and has the added benefits of NetFlix. For £50 you really can't go wrong and some of the features puts to shame more expensive models. Ok first the player is a little longer than most others but it's light and fairly slick. Please note that the player DOES NOT come with a HDMI cable or D/O Cable so you will have to buy one - I mean they are so readily available and so cheap these days it's a non-issue.

I have the player connected via HDMI (1.4) to my Samsung Smart TV and a digital optical from the player into my LG Soundbar (more of that later). Please note that the HDMI cable must be able to support 3d so it must be 1.4 or higher. The reason for the optical cable is so that the player can send Dolby Digital/DTS decoded audio to the soundbar. If you go via the TV then the chances are that the TV will format the sound to 2 channel PCM so please bear that in mind even when connecting and A/V receiver to the TV. I find that it's better to have the device send audio directly to the A/V receiver or soundbar - there's no downgrade or loss of multi channels then. The player also supports higher spec True Dolby/DTS Master however, to hear this audio in its full glory you have to send the sound out though the HDMI cable into an A/V receiver. Some soundbars do not support True Dolby/DTS Master (in which case sound is output in standard DD/DTS) and Digital Optical cables don't have the bandwidth to carry full True Dolby/DTS Master (again in this case its pushed down to DD/DTS).

Ok enough of the connections so how does it play? Well very very well. Load time is fine (only 5 secs or so) menus are clear and there's very little disc noise when a blue ray is playing. Some are under the impression that the more expensive the player the better the picture or sound. Well let me tell you this a blue ray player is just that a blue ray player. It outputs video signal upto 1080p so either it does or it doesn't in which case you have a fault player! Nay the picture quality comes down to the TV that you are watching it on and the appropriate settings. Yes settings - colour, contrast, picture mode etc etc. Play around with these and you'll get what you want trust me. As for sound I mentioned that some Blue Ray players support the higher spec sound (True Dolby etc) so the difference in sound will again largely be down to what speakers you are listening out from and not the player per se.

So all in all very good and the 3d works fine. 2D - 3D conversion does the trick for added depth but don't go expecting anymore. Truth be told most of the films I've seen on 3D have been nothing more than a mere gimmick with one or two good moments. Games in 3d have been far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet!, 9 Aug 2013
Mrs. L. A. Quinlan (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
An efficient and easy to use player. Good value and easy to install, and to use. Bought to go with our new Panasonic Smart TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slimline, 27 Jun 2014
As in other reviews, this player is of an very unusual dimension. No problem with that, just that the size of the unit does not match most of the other av equipment on the market. However due to its low profile it is possible to fit this unit in areas that larger units cannot go. The unit is simple to operate with push buttons on top rather than touch sensitive buttons. The picture degrades slightly while playing blu rays. Looks more like you are watching DVD rather than blu ray. 3d blu rays arrear to be fine to watch though with only the occasional degradation. The remote is neat with stop,play written on the buttons rather than symbols. There is also an large dedicated Netflix button. Not overall happy with this product so am planning to sell on and spend more money on an higher end player. Sm
Game I had high hopes after reading some good reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 7 April 2014
I can't offer a technical evaluation to the nth degree about this player. However, I can say that it offers to my critical eye and ear excellent video and audio reproduction. I have the player connected to a 50 inch plasma and a 5.1 sound system and with the right blu-ray disk I can say that the house moves. 3D reproduction is very good too.

It's easy to connect and relatively fast to load. That said, the Netflix button is a pain in the backside.