4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect Blu-ray player.
Pros and cons of the Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray disc player.

Pros.

Published 9 months ago by Film Buff

2.0 out of 5 stars Started to misbehave after less than a month
Published 3 months ago by phylasnier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect Blu-ray player., 23 Jun 2013
Film Buff (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black (Electronics)

Pros.

The picture quality on Blu-ray is phenomenal. I went to my go to disc - Avatar, and it really is incredible! The CGI now looks fake in places (some would argue it already did) because the picture quality is so good. The DVD upscale is great too. Discs load lightning fast, I thought my LG player was fast but this is as fast as a DVD player.

Make sure you update the software in settings when you get the player. Set-up, player settings, system, firmware update.

The player has built in w-fi / internet and a number of apps that can be found quickly by pressing the internet button. These are Netflix, YouTube (sign in via the player to your account, to get access to all your watch later videos / subscriptions), BBC i-player, i-concerts (concerts of your fav artists that you have to pay for), CNBC news, Games, Dailymotion, Euronews, facebook, twitter and two radio channels. I'm sure they'll be more apps in the future.

You can watch your photos, videos and listen to music via a USB connection / USB with SD card.

I used to have a Samsung Blu-ray player that was very noisy, and therefore annoying. This player is small and quiet - it hardly makes a peep, even when loading discs.

You can connect the player (wireless) to your tablet / phone. The info from the tablet / phone will appear on the television.

Built in 3D! If you have a 3D TV go nuts.

I like the smallish remote control apart from the (fairly) large Netflix button which I occasionally press by accident. It's too near to the up and down menu buttons.

Cons.

No LoveFilm! This is quite a big deal for me because I subscribe to LoveFilm and not Netflix. If you log into LoveFilm via the built-in internet (because there's no app) you still can't stream via the player. With the giant Netflix button on the remote I don't see this changing anytime soon. Bad news.

Occasionally the player gets confused and stalls / crashes. I've had to unplug it a couple of times.

It's probably personally taste but I'm not particularly keen on the menu layout. It's an up and down / across menu system. Example - left is photos, right is music, up is Internet, down is videos. Sometimes it goes too far to the left or right which is annoying, it's a little too sensitive to the press of a button.

Conclusion.

It isn't perfect (what is?) but it's close enough. As you can see there are far more pros than cons. If your main reason for owning a player is to watch Blu-ray discs, don't hesitate, buy it now. It loads discs extremely fast and the picture quality is amazing. With LoveFilm on the player I'd be tempted to add another star.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started to misbehave after less than a month, 14 Jan 2014
This could have been good - I am of the "things should work from off, and stay working" school of consumers. Unfortunately, although it started by working fine, after less than a month it started to refuse to play Blu-ray discs it had played fine before, and also lock up when playing other Blu-ray discs. We've now sent it back, to exchange with a Sony BDP-S5100 - we haven't got it yet, and I'll write a review about it once we've used it for a while.

We bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB to go along a brand-spanking-new Panasonic Viera plasma 3D TV, and having seen the reviews and read about problems playing discs, I was a bit nervous; but the video quality was supposedly great, and if the problems had been fixed by the latest firmware update, I was willing to try. When the player turned up, we plugged it in, configured the wi-fi network connection, made sure it had the latest firmware, and started playing 3D Blu-ray discs - they all played fine; no problems. The 3D quality is excellent. The upscaling of DVDs to HD (regular 2D) is brilliant; "Avatar" looks almost like HD when played! We didn't try the "Smart" features like internet-based downloads, so I can't comment on that, and the menu system could be better (too much clicking to go anywhere, but big and clear icons), but at its main job (for us) - playing discs, this excelled.

Then, after about a couple of weeks, one 3D disc that we had already watched successfully about 3 times ("Despicable Me 2" - DM2) simply would not play. The player's display would just say "Play" instead of showing the time counter. No amount of disconnecting the power lead, leaving overnight, playing a few other discs before going back to that one, checking the firmware, again, resetting to factory settings, hard-resetting to factory settings, would fix it.
A week later, a different Blu-ray disc which had also so far played fine suddenly locked up the player. That problem was fixed was taking the power lead off for a few seconds, and then power back on; the disc then played correctly.

For those justifiably concerned that maybe my DM2 disc refused to play because the disc itself was faulty, I took my entire collection of 3D Blu-ray discs to a friend's, and played them all on his 3D Samsung player - everything played properly. Of course, the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 had also started by playing all the discs properly, so maybe the Samsung player would also refuse the play any disc after a while; but at least it proved that the DM2 disc was not at fault, that the disc itself was not the reason why the Panasonic refused to play it.

The occasional lock-up and having to power off then back on, I can live with; but having bought a disc that I can't watch anymore because the player gets stroppy about it for no obvious reason, I can't accept - so this player has gone back to Amazon.

It may be of interest to note that the player remembers Blu-ray discs it has played, and will ask you if you want to resume where you left off when you put a previously played disc back in - good and typical feature (although this doesn't work at all for DVDs being played, for some reason!?!). I don't know how many Blu-ray discs it would remember in total, but that "memory" could not be wiped out: no power off, no factory reset would clear it. I suspect that if I had managed to wipe its memory, then it may well have been happy playing DM2 again; but I found no information on the matter, not even how many discs would get remembered (no even in the manuals).

EDITED 22/Jan/2014:

As a replacement, I got a Sony BDP-S5100, for which I had good hopes, but although no disc failed to play (freeze or whatever), image quality was bad with DVDs, and the player was making a racket when starting to play 3D Blu-ray discs, through a probably badly-aligned spinning mechanism. One thing that using the Sony made me realise was that Panasonic's upscaling of DVDs to HD resolution really is the best that there currently is, not only for sharpness when upscaling, but the colours are excellent too (Sony was really bad on that score). You can have a look at my review if you want.

So, off the Sony went, and after deliberating between getting the Samsung BD-F6500 or the Panasonic DMP-BDT220, and especially after reading up about DVD upscaling, I thought that I would give Panasonic another try. After all, the BDT220 is an older model, has gathered more reviews on Amazon, which are also better than for the BDT230, and I also heard that quite a few of the problems of Panasonic with their new 2013 line-up was that they had changed processing chips.

The Panasonic BDT220 arrived today. It's wider than the BDT230 (i.e. it's "full size"), quiet as a (slightly noisy) mouse, no problem playing 3D Blu-ray discs so far, and video from DVDs is excellent again. I'll post a proper review after I've used the player for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Blu-ray player, 14 Aug 2013
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Getting straight to the point, I absolutely love this Blu Ray Player.

It's packed with loads of really great features, works like a dream and I have had no issues with it at all.

I must stress that it is not multi region as I tried a Region 1 DVD and it did not work. I have not tried to find an unlock, so I'm unsure if it can be converted.

A couple of the feature that really stood out for me are firstly the YouTube channel, which includes a genius feature that lets you link your ipad to your blu ray player and if you find something you would like to watch on your ipad (the searching on the blu ray player using the control is not much fun) you can send the info straight to your blu ray player and within a few seconds watch it on the big screen. Secondly being able to watch Major League Baseball through my MLB account and also the ease of use for Netflix (With a nice big button that takes your straight there on the controller itself) is fantastic.

This Blu Ray player gets a much deserved 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to return this item, 2 Feb 2014
Amazon for ever "KDM" (Poulton L F Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I like Panasonic goods and have quite a few items in the house. However this was a big let down. OK the manual did advise that the remote control may interfere with another P'sonic piece. If so simply change the setting on the remote. This was advised in 2 separate parts of the manual BUT did not tell me how to change the setting. I contacted P'sonic and was given instructions what to do. Simple!! After doing as advised both Blu Ray player and HDD recorder "Locked up" and neither could be used. More contact with P'sonic ended with an engineer calling. After approx. 1 hour all the engineer achieved was to reset both machines to their original status but the problem of the remotes interfering with the players continued. For example, press the on button and both machines came to life, press play and both machines started up, press another button and if I was watching a disc the HDD would start showing.

Finally I gave up and returned the Blu ray and chose a Sony. So far the Sony is great and exceeds my expectations.

One last thing I have to applaud Amazon for their fantastic service in both changing items.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Player, Odd Remote, 9 Jun 2013
Great player only let down by the touchpad remote which takes some getting used to. The menus are a are clear and comprehensive and playback has been perfect every time.
All Blu Ray players have exactly the same PQ for Blu Ray so if you are paying 1000 or 100 you will see no difference and this is why the Panasonics are such great value.
Anyone who as the previous poster has had problems with playback have not performed the Software Update that is available over the built in WiFi connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised how good it is!, 30 Jun 2013
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the box arrived I was a little shocked by 2 things: How small it was and how light it is. I do like an AV component to feel weighty and workhorse-like. This doesn't feel either. Also, when I started to connect it to my brand new Toshiba: Toshiba 32DL933B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview and Built-in DVD Player I found there was no HDMI lead. I mean, come on, why not? I had to wait a couple of days for my 1.36 lead to come: Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A For the sake of 1 could they not have packaged one into the box?
So, those gripes aside, it was finally connected and switched on.
On start up there is a quick set-up procedure for language, TV type etc. You can then finish or set up for Internet. I did this and immediately there was an update waiting to be installed. The installation is very good, I liked the way the TV and player kept you informed as to what was going on. Finally, when all that was done I had a play with the menu.
I should make a note here also, that when the player starts up after the initial set-up I seem to get a quick advert appear for My Space? I have no idea what this is about. As soon as it has finished starting up you have what looks like a smart phone style menu appear. Very big buttons to watch photo's, listen to music, access a USB stick etc etc. What was a really nice discovery was when I explored the network menu and found not only Netflix (there is a whopping big shortcut menu button on the remote, so I don't know if Panasonic have shares in them) but I also found YouTube, iPlayer as well as page after page of other channels and even games. The iPlayer and YouTube work very well, even when not in HD.

So, we baptised the Player with Moon: Moon [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free] a very good quality film that is clean and sharp. The player handles it extremely well. Things you are looking out for are load times, artefacts and pauses. Load time was about 1-2 secs, just long enough for me to see the Moon Smiley face loading icon and then it was gone. impressive. I also own a top of the range Oppo player and I don't think that would do it any faster.
There was no pauses or artefacting. I have to say the little player really impressed me. From my initial doubts it won me over by being very good at what you want it to do...play BluRays well.

Verdict, if you can get over the initial shock at size and weight, don't need something really fancy that will play SACD or other exclusive file types, you may be very surprised at how good this player is. Panasonic is no small name in the field so you can partly be reassured it will be a quality item. The added bonus of the network channels makes this a really nice buy.
I don't have a 3D set-up so didn't try that, IMHO 3D is a gimmick that we need to see the end of soon.
Oh yeah, one last thing. I forgot to mention, right at the start I went on the net to try and figure out how to make this player DVD region free...apparently it already is! I didn't have another coded DVD to try this, and these days it's not such a big deal having it region free unless you have a library of older films, but this was also a nice find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cowabunga, 18 Aug 2013
This is my baby;you little ripper!The picture and sound quality is absolutely phenomenal.What more needs to be said about this diamond.Arrived on time and in good nick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Blu 3d player, 17 Oct 2013
This item is absolutely brilliant. It has a fast start, excellent picture quality and is very easy to setup and use. At the price there's not much to beat it

5.0 out of 5 stars Soo small, 29 Mar 2014
I bought this to replace an ageing DVD recorder and can't believe how thin and light it is. Biggest draw was the ease at which I can access Netflix from a dedicated button on the remote. Very well thought out, usual Panasonic picture quality, impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB, 27 Mar 2014
So easy and intuitive to set up following onscreen instructions. Connected to router in seconds. Can now watch BBC I-player on 42" lounge TV instead of peering at the I-pad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›