5.0 out of 5 stars Sky is turning red...
Published on 18 July 2007 by Robert Howcroft

3.0 out of 5 stars Totally overrated, but still good..
Reign in Blood is a pretty decent album which made violent thrash more accessible through its polished production and catchy riffs. The album is a vicious onslaught from start to finish, with some great headbangers such as 'Angel of Death' and 'Altar of Sacrifice'. What lets this album down is the lack of dynamic in both speed and atmosphere, the overclean production...
Published on 9 Mar 2008 by B. Aggro

5.0 out of 5 stars Sky is turning red..., 18 July 2007
This review is from: Reign In Blood (Audio CD)
I bought this on a very expensive American import way back in '86 when it was refused a European release due to the `Angel of Death' track. An album so full of anger and hatred, that it only gave the surnames of the band on the back of the cardboard sleeve. Araya, Hanneman, King and Lombardo. Now, twenty years later, I still have many of the songs on my in-car MP3 player and you just cannot beat driving along to THAT thunderous opening riff from `Raining Blood' played incredibly loud!

One of my fondest memories of this album was being in the Virgin Megastore in Brighton soon after its release. The in-store DJ decided to play the ferocious `Reborn', presumably having never heard Slayer before. After the ensuing two minutes of sheer fury, there were a few seconds of stunned silence before he uttered the immortal words, "Well...that was different!" Utter classic!!

There was a rumour at the time that the songs were originally written much slower, but when it came to recording them, Dave Lombardo - drummer at the time - just couldn't play fast enough so the others had to keep pace! They eventually released a slower version of `Criminally Insane' as a single afterwards, but I was so familiar with the album version that I hated it!

This was Slayer's third album, and like so many other `third album groups' of that era - namely Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth - their sound changed dramatically, usually for the worse, with their fourth releases. I guess maybe it was just natural progression, or it may have just been me getting older, but as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunately, all the aforementioned groups did indeed break it and just like Humpty Dumpty, they couldn't put it together again.

Nearly every song is a classic in its own right, but my own personal fave is `Jesus Saves' with its brutal scrubbed riff following the slow intro. Any serious thrash metal fan should own this album and I still don't believe it's been bettered even to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slayers Masterpiece, 15 Dec 2007
Rob (London U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reign In Blood (Audio CD)
This is one of the greatest if not the greatest Thrash Metal album of all time. I know that some of you might be thinking " Master of Puppets" is the best Thrash album and I would also agree in some ways but I want to keep this review short and to the point. This album clocks in at under 30 minutes with two extra remix tracks which is a bit short but if it were a bit longer your head would probably explode! The general sound of the music is dark, agressive and fast it could be a mix between death/thrash and black metal really. The lyrics are about death, torture and concentartion camps from world war II which Tom Araya compliments with his evil twisted sounding vocals. The guitar work is just amazing, so many riffs and interchanging guitar solos between King & Hanneman, these guys must be cyborgs or something! And finaly the great Dave Lombardo "The Pulse" of the band on drums who is just phenomenal. This album is excellent from start to finish but can take a few listens to "get it" because this is seriously fast music. My top 3 tracks here are Angel of Death, Criminaly Insane and Reigning Blood. If your a fan of extreme metal then this has to be in your collection. This is a "Thrash Metal Classic"!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PUNCH ME IN THE FACE.PLEASE., 26 May 2013
This review is from: Reign In Blood (Audio CD)
Reign In Blood is one of those almost mythical albums,a fearsome reputation proceeds this work.Its loud,fast,aggressive,nasty...I read the lyrics before actually listening. Angel Of Death...forget the music this is vivid horrifying imagery,Necrophobic,Criminally Insane these are poems from the abyss.The late Jeff Hanneman certainly mined a dark field indeed but I love the lyrics.
The thing with metal music is it is often overlooked by a perception of itself as music for long haired knuckleheads.I have been turning to metal music a lot recently as it seems to be filling a void other music cannot seem to fill lately.
Groups nowadays aren't articulating anything for me these days,they seem intent on wanting a career playing arenas,releasing albums that sound like the last one,providing music for adverts.What I have noticed within the metal community is PASSION from the fans to the bands,loyalty and conviction.These are songs that punch you in the face and make no doubt I am asking for it.
Reign In Blood is a milestone in thrash certainly but it also transcends that.This is a statement.This is raw music.Not insipid,pro tooled boil in the bag remixed,rejigged pap churned out from a sausage factory with as much gravitas as an empty crisp packet.Don't like this "type" of music?Who cares buy it,play it loud,horrify the missus....on the way to Homebase?Slap this in the Ford Mondeo cd player.Last album you got was The Best Of Chris Rea...?Cool On The Beach rules but get Reign In Blood too,yeah you may hate it but by golly at least that's something.
You like The Vaccines?Golly even they look bored of themselves....get this blast Raining Blood,your parents will hate it.The way it should be!!!
A classic album not only in the lineage of metal company but in general.
Classic.A rock with a roll a splutter,a banging head.
Much respect to Jeff Hanneman.
DUDE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Led Zep IV, No Of The Beast, Back In Black - Reign In Blood, 2 May 2003
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
Yes, it's that good it belongs in the most exalted of company. I still listen to this album all the time and simply cannot believe it is getting towards twenty years old, it's completely unreal.
I find it a source of great amusement hearing some of the praise lavished upon the current crop of metal bands when not a single one of them has come even close to making as perfect an album as Reign In Blood. From Araya's introductory scream at the outset of the controversial 'Angel Of Death' to the final rainstorm that closes this 28 minutes of thunderous mayhem (controlled), nothing else exists outside of the listener and the record.
Everybody appears to favour a different track on the album. For me, 'Post Mortem' is the very essence of both Slayer and the much maligned genre that is Heavy Metal. Even if you hate extreme music you should buy this album if only to find out whether your stereo system is actually any good. If the opening chords to the aforementioned song don't blow you backwards, then you need a better stereo. Forget your ears, your walls should bleed when this is played at volume.
Reign In Blood - a record so damn heavy you practically need a crane to put it onto your turntable. No music fan can consider their collection complete until they own it, no matter what their taste in music otherwise. Enter to the realm of Satan...

5.0 out of 5 stars Slayer, Thrash, Blood? The greatest thrash album ever!, 3 Nov 2007
J. E. Griffiths "Slayer Rule!" (Maidstone, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reign In Blood (Audio CD)
I actually bought this album earlier today, and upon first listening I thought that it was incredibly heavy, repetitive, boring and I started to realise the reasons I didn't buy it earlier. BUT...

Upon SECOND listening, the album has knocked my fave thrash album (Master Of Puppets) of it's throne and this masterpiece has taken over the REIGN of thrash (A little humour there!)

'Angel Of Death' is obviously a classic in it's own right, and the same to the title track, however after previously undderating the other tracks on the album, I found that I was wrong (that doesn't happen often) and that EVERY track on this album is a masterpiece! But, if for some strange reason the music doesn't rise to your liking, if you're a true thrash fan, the sheer atmosphere during the recording of the album should be enough to send shivers down your spine!

I'll do a little track review section for you, just to let you know my feelings sensibly:

1. Angel Of Death - OH MY GOD! THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC! Seriously now, this song IS classic and should take the place of Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' as the ultimate thrash song. A little slower towards the end, but we do like a change every once in a while!
Rating: 10/10

2. Piece By Piece - Another of my faves, this track was actually the first Slayer track I ever heard and upon first hearing, I didn't take to it that much, but already it is on my iPod, Phone, myspace page, pretty much anything! However, I wouldn't say it's the best song on the album because every song is one my iPod!
Rating: 9/10

3. Necrophobic - It's a bit short, but a Slayer classic. The solos are made to look so easy on this album, with Hanneman and King tossing solos back and forth to each other like playing a game of never-ending tennis!
Rating: 9.5/10

4. Altar Of Sacrifice - Good song, but not my favourite. The riff in the bridge and chorus is great, but it's a bit samey.
Rating: 9.5/10

5. Jesus Saves - Great song, one of my favourite thrash songs of all time (yes, that's including Megadeth, dare I say!) The intro is my favourite ever to a song, and then the actual song? Listen for yourself!
Rating: 9.5/10

6. Criminally Insane - I LOVE THIS SONG! Almost as much as the first track, but is let down by not being able to understand what Tom is saying (and screaming)
Rating: 9/10

7. Reborn - I don't really like this song as much as the others and if I were to create a list of my favourite Slayer tracks, I don't think that this would appear on it!
Rating: 8.5/10

8. Epidemic - This and the next track are two of my favourites on the album, this one more so than 'Postmortem'. A great thrash song, you could call it a Slayer classic.
Rating: 10/10

9. Postmortem - See above.
Rating: 9.5/10

10. Raining Blood - This is the classic, this is Reign In Blood, this is SLAYER!
Rating: 10/10

By the way, if you're new to Slayer, then I would reccomend 'Show No Mercy' first as it's not quite as heavy and fast as this, but if you're already a Speed Metal fan, then I would reccomend South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss or Hell Awaits before preparing to open your wallet to buy this thrashmaster!

Overall Album Rating: 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars The apogee of thrash metal, 21 Feb 2005
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
I cannot believe someone described the likes of 'Portmortem', or indeed anything on this album, as "filler"....
Slayer are not the most extreme band in the world - they aren't the fastest, growliest or sickest - but they mix aggression and control like perhaps no other band in the world and Reign In Blood was their finest hour. Or half-hour, as the case may be. This album remains the high-watermark of the genre. Although I am a big fan of a lot of stuff in the extreme metal genre which followed RIB there is absolutely nothing that touches this for enduring aggression.
I have been listening to this album for almost fifteen years now (not continuously, you'll be pleased to know) and it still makes my muscles tense with excitement at its power, anger and sublime execution.
SLAYER - we salute you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slayer's big break..., 21 Oct 2007
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
A lot has been written about 'Reign in Blood'. Is that the understatement of the Millenium? Most probably.
This album, Slayers third proper, does indeed contain elements that make it unique and peerless. I say 'elements', as any level headed person can see that the media hype, over time, has blown this album up to some kind of mythological beast from times yonder.
'Angel of Death', the opening track, is the track that sums up the feeling that most thrash and death metal fans and journos alike have about the album as a whole. Its aggressive, the lyrical content is genuinely disturbing (to your average granny or school teacher at least) and the riffs and druming is just nuts!
After that it boils down to your own interpretation of "legendary".
Reign in Blood doesn't quite make my grade. Hype and reality need to be compared, and if you are totally honest, this album is not the most "extreme" or infact "brutal" disk ever. If you think that go buy Any early Kreator albums if you want contemporary comparisons. And anything by Nile, or any other modern blast beating uber extreme death metal or grindcore outfit worth its salt.
'Necrophobic' introduced the world to some really fast guitar work and Tom Araya bursts a blood vessel screaming his lungs out.
The next 2 tracks seem to meld into one long thrash-fest, which, although great if you are a guitar nut, and know your stuff, as a music fan, it can get a little boring after time. And I've had "Reign in Blood" since 1988.
It really gets going again on the track "Criminally Insane", a well structured song, not as fast as the earlier tracks, but with a great middle and ending section, again with Araya's angry vocals driving it forward.
'Raining Blood' has a very memorable opening riff, coupled with thunder sound effects (a toilet being flushed some say), then really hammers the last minute or so of the album home like a bullet to the forehead.
Extra tracks on this edition 'Aggressive Perfector' & 'Criminally Insane' are nice touches, especially 'Aggressive Perfector', which shows, after the intense 29 minutes or so of Reign in Blood, the simpler riffs and solos of this track are really refreshing to hear.
If anything can be said about the real legendary status of this album, its the influence it had on the music scene after it was released. That is the true standing legacy of the band, as individuals and a unit. Reign in Blood spawned an even extremer music scene.
In conclusion I think the album is fantastic. But you need to listen to the best of its peers ('Master of Puppets', 'Bonded By Blood', 'Among the Living', 'Terrible Certainty', 'Live Without Sense', 'Seven Churches' etc...) to really make your mind up.
I've banged my head to it as much as the next man. Its intense, purposefully controversial, and typifies everything great about Slayer.
I suppose you'll have to listen to it yourself and make your mind up surrounding the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sky is turning red..., 16 Oct 2006
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)

Nearly every song is a classic in its own right, but my own personal fave is still `Jesus Saves' with its brutal scrubbed riff following the slow intro. Any serious thrash metal fan should own this and I still don't believe this has been bettered even to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate in Thrash and Speed; forget Slipknot... please., 28 Nov 2002
VmPyre (Dear (very dear...) London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
So, did you read the other reviews?
And you still haven't bought it yet?
Well, here's news from someone who was there when it happened (yep, I'm that old :-)! When this gem was released onto an unexpecting planet, only Slayer's own previous albums came close. The energy and aggression is simply mind-blowing, and listening to it is a great outlet, should you need that. Pure therapy, baby!
Here's the bit where you may boo and hiss me:
Nu-Metal is mostly but a weaker, sugarcoated and trendy (albeit cathchy and better produced!) version of what metal then was and, I'm loth to say, never will be again. It has so far also never come even close to what Slayer accomplished on this masterpiece, although I would like to see someone try!
As far as lyrics go: unlike the vastly misunderstood and superb 'Angel of Death' -courtesy of mr. Jeff Hanneman, this stuff is no Hemmingway, bless Araya's and his colleagues' woolly socks. Musically, however: well, they completely had the metal world by the short and curlies, and were (and remain to be!) the musical equivalent of a herd of wild Rhinos on very strong steroids. THIS IS THE (old) DOGS WHATSITS! To give you an impression: for this album they picked about 45 mins of music, but once in the studio they played so bloody fast they ended up with the most notorious 28 mins of sonic mayhem (that's minus the 'extras' on this release) you'll ever be able to get your grimy hands on! Yes it's short, but let it simply be a part of it's charm. Listen to it in one go, and you'll know why. Then press 'play' again!
Let these 'old men' surprise you with their sheer speed and show the 'nu' bands out there how it's really done.
You still here?....

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, I'm afraid, 28 Oct 2005
Dr. Robert C. Hayward "robbyhayward" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
If you're into thrash and you know your onions, this will be the album you say is genre-defining, definitive, ultimate. It might, for some obscure reason, not be your favourite thrash lp, but you will know it's place - on top the thrash xmas tree. 10 songs coming in at 28 minutes, no filler, and a seminal band at the peak of their powers. What sets this album up as a bit of freak genius is the coming together of the band with Rick Rubin's vision for the project, and a bunch of riffs - from bone-crunchers like Postmortem and Jesus Saves to harmonised brainmelters like Angel of Death and Raining Blood - that are timeless, pure gold.
Hanneman and King are one of the great guitar duos in metal history, with an awesome telepathic link that creates incredibly tightly choreographed speed riffing. Both and yet neither are lead guitarists, and this album showcases their insane take on guitar solos and ducks-arse-tight riffing better than any.
Friends I have who've left metal long behind still revere this album as a classic and with good reason. I'm afraid it's the defining moment of the thrash genre, and coming up to 20 years old.

Reign In Blood
Reign In Blood by Slayer (Audio CD - 2013)