5.0 out of 5 stars The Best. Period.
In my opinion, the goal of this book is to give people who want to compete in triathalons a scientific, self-coached training plan. Does it deliver? Absolutely. The book accomplishes this through six, cleanly divided parts.

Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars Happyone
A a bit heavy going but useful if you are serious about training and want to know about the details of training well.
Published on 23 Oct 2012 by happyone

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best. Period., 15 Nov 2011

Part one, "The self-trained triathlete" is concerned with the "philosophical" basis for methodical training. It deals with things such as attitide and commitment, which are as important to me as the physical training.

Part two, "From lab to real world" talks about the scientific foundation of training and goes into the science and priciples of training (i.e. progressive resistance, periodization, etc.).

Part three, "Training with a purpose" seems to pull together parts one and two in which a system of purposeful training is described. This part will help the reader to determine exactly what their training needs are and the best ways to address them.

Part four, simply titled "Planning" is really the heart of the book. Here the book helps you design your own training plan for a season, week by week.

Part five, "Racing and recovering" takes you through the many details of preparing to race and recovering after. In other words, it gives you info on what to do before and after the actual race. This information is essential as many athletes neglect to recover properly before starting training again for the next race.

Part six, "The competative edge" talks about other supplemental aspects of training that can contribute to peak performance. Here the book covers things such as swimming tips, weight training ex's, eating tips, keeping a training diary, etc. I like to think of this chapter as a kind of "tie up the loose ends" section.

Truly a book that lives up to its name, I can't see many readers coming away from this book without picking up much useful information- from the beginner to the experienced. Athletes with foot pain that interferes with their training might also find The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution helpful too. Happy training!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Full of info but ..., 23 Sep 2013
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Triathlete's Training Bible (Kindle Edition)
I regularly come back to this book. It's my reference manual for tri really I guess. Joe summarises his research into the science pretty well and gives you LOTS of other info.

You can then build your own customised plan putting together workout types he recommends.

For £10 you should just buy it to be honest.

The downsides for me are:

1. It doesn't actually give you a plan to follow. You have to make your own. Which is fair enough but that takes quite a lot of time. You might instead want to get a BTF coach to do one for you.
2. I would say the book is a bit light on the swim wide of things. But perfectly adequate for me.
3. **From memory** I think many of the measure are in US terms - so I always work in pace per km for example for running. You can live with that I guess.
4. For the shorter sprint distances and newer events like sprint duathlon then again it's a bit light on that.
5. Joe F. is big into power based training zones, I don't think this book covers those in quite enough detail eg HR zones and pace zones are given for all levels but not power zones.

but as I said: "buy it". it's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Guide To Triathlon Preparation and Training., 21 Sep 2012
Essential reading for those training or preparing for Triathlons - lots of useful information about every aspect of training.

Allows you to create training plans and comprehensive schedule to help you get the best out of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introductary book for adventrue races / triathlons, 26 Aug 2012
D. Darcy "Dermo" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Filled with very usefull information for all, novice upwards. I found it a great help just prior to my first adventure race.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Definitely recommend - get the hard copy though. it's easier to flick back and forwards, 17 Nov 2014
David (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Triathlete's Training Bible (Kindle Edition)
Wow! This is a comprehensive book. Having read it through its now time to go back to the beginning and read it again. This time making notes and making a plan!
It's nicely set out. I particularly like the fact that sports science is referenced fairly liberally. I've now also got Triathlon Science by the same author. Just skimming through that at the weekend it seems to add more background information to support this book.
As with all text book style information it's basically sound, but getting dated as each day passes. Definitely worth the money. It would be great if there were the resources to link to the web for any relevant updates and the forms and plans at the back. I got both the printed and Kindle version. I would definitely get the printed version. Easier to skip back and forwards, keeping your finger in the page you're reading while looking at other bits (eg training plans).
It's about plannng, rather then a the minutiae, so,each area: swim, bike, run is covered. The coverage is reasonable, but needs further depth - this would make the book huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 13 Jan 2014
I have been following Joe's blog for a while so I knew what to expect. This is a big book and will take a while to finish but from what I have read so far it is a great tool for the self coached triathlete.

3.0 out of 5 stars Happyone, 23 Oct 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars certainly a very useful reference book for any Triathlete, 28 Aug 2014
I bought this book several years ago and just noticed while reviewing something else that I hadn't reviewed it. I've never read this book cover to cover ... but I have used it as a reference. I've read areas of the book that are relevent to me at the time .... and I would say I've probably read 90% of the book over the years. It's very detailed and informative ... certainly a very useful reference book for any Triathlete.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Triathlete's Training Bible (Kindle Edition)
Picked up many good tips for training, racing and diet. I'm hoping it will help me achieve this years goals

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book. Would recommend (al levels)., 26 Dec 2013
Ace book. I am just getting into triathlon and its been used as a great tool to build a triathlon plan that can grow with me as I improve. Ace.

The Triathlete's Training Bible