on 10 October 2013
I have listened to my fair share of the more popular modern prog bands such as Threshold, Dream Theater, Opeth, Ayreon + Arjen's other stuff, Anathema etc. I've heard less of the older bands so this is probably from the perspective of a modern take of prog music. Although I did listen to Peter Gabriel the other day ;)

I saw Spock's Beard a few years ago at the High Voltage festival and I've previously heard the X album and really enjoyed it. So I took a chance on this and loved it! Vocally the singer is superb. Musically it's really polished and you can tell the band have played together for a long time as it all so sounds so natural and flowing. The highlight track after my first couple of listenings is Submerged although I think there's enough on all of the tracks that this will almost certainly change as I think happens with most good albums. I think it's probably the 'hookiest' song on the album but honestly there really isn't a bad track.

I think if you like prog you will probably like this.
on 27 March 2013
I must admit I was worried on hearing of former singer/drummer Nick D'Virgilio's departure as he was a major draw for me in the band. While I'm still sorry to see him go I have to say this album is brilliant. It is somehow accessible but still rammed with interesting sounds and compositions and sounds great even on first listen. Repeated listens throws up more depths to the music and I think the guys have done themselves proud. The only minor fly in the ointment for me is the repeated Gentle Giant-sequence harmony vocal section that makes an appearance on all their albums which I know some people love but makes me want to skip the entire track, even though much of it is still good. Still, maybe that's just me. Great album and the new singer, Ted Leonard, acquits himself very well, with touring drummer Jimmy Keegan on drumming duties. Looking forward to the UK tour.
on 27 July 2013
From the first track this album grabbed me and I couldn't stop listening. The physical album is a lovely piece of engineering, you sense that time has gone into producing this limited edition. With Ted Leonard now on vocals I must admit he is a stronger singer than Nick D'Virgilio.
Opening track 'Hiding out' has a beautiful piano opening with a hard edged guitar riff and a powerful chorus The 'commercial' sounding 'Submerged' should be a Top 10 hit (If the chart meant anything nowadays) 'Afterthoughts' is a really treat, Neal Morse returns to co-write and the vocal counterpoint is superb. 'Something Very Strange is probably my favorite, great bassline and Leonard seamlessly going up an octave for the second chorus, Alan Morse's guitar work is also noteworthy.

I discover Spock's Beard through Genesis, and being a massive Genesis fan (owning all their albums) I would say this album is a must have for Genesis aswell as Spock's beard fans.

With 'X' Spock's beard produced a fine album, but 'Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep' tops it, every track is top-notch

Quite possibly the best album of 2013 :)
on 9 May 2013
Anyone who has been disappointed in Spocks Beard's last few offerings should take heart and go and buy this new album. It's the Beard back to their brilliant best. Both new boys seem to have settled in nicely. Stand out track for me has to be 'Something very strange' but there isn't a bad track on this great prog album. Highly recommended.
on 6 June 2013
This is my 1st Spocks Beard purchase and wow !.Totally blown away by this album.Seen the band live in Glasgow and on the strengh of that performance made this purchase...brilliant individual performances particularly Ryo,very tight and clever musicianship.Time to check out their back catalouge
on 4 April 2015
Another excellent album by the mighty Beards. The first track isn't my favourite (a bit discordant) but all the rest hit the right spot as far as I'm concerned. "Something Very Strange" does sound almost exactly like a track from "War of the Worlds", so much so that I had to look up the lyrics just to make sure it wasn't. An excellent listen.
on 6 May 2013
Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Spock's Beard about, being an occasional dipper into their facial hair. But, having bought a ticket to go see them, I thought I'd better acquaint msyelf with the latest piece of their oeuvre, and well, as sure as eggs is eggs, it's not too shabby!
Whilst I wouldn't say there are any stand out tracks on the album, there's nothing on there that merits skipping. I must admit that I do love the Gentle Giant vocal stylings of Afterthoughts and was most impressed that they pulled it off - ooohhhhhhhhhh, Matron! - live.

So if you want a good slice of proggishness that's not too hard a listen BUY!
on 27 August 2013
I'm going to challenge long-standing Spock's Beard fans by saying that this album represents the best 'band' album they've released! Accessible prog with superb arrangements and musicianship of a high technical quality.
I thought 'X' was excellent but with the eminences grises of Neal Morse and Nick D'Virgilio behind them (although Neal co-wrote a couple of tracks with brother Alan), I think SB are now truly a band and can progress towards producing more great music on that basis.
on 13 March 2015
very good cd.the two knew members are very good.ted leonard singer& jimmy keegan drummer have fitted in nicely.a good addition to any good progressive music collection.buy it you will not be dissappionted
on 27 November 2015
This is a fantastic album with no weak track on it. The quality of musicianship is outstanding and no surprise to anyone who knows Spock's Beard. If you have not heard Spocks before, this is a brilliant introduction and the back catalogue is awesome. Highlights for me are Submerged, Afterthoughts and best of all, Waiting for Me. The solo from Alan Morse is beautiful.