4.0 out of 5 stars Foster Husband, where are you :)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Published 19 months ago by Agi

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit rubbish
Published 10 months ago by bookmoth

4.0 out of 5 stars Foster Husband, where are you :), 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Paperback)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
It is third Pippa's book and for me her every book is better and better. I liked the idea of this book, the "foster" husband, I was very curious about the training going to take place. I must admit that it was the synopsis that allowed me to expect the plot to develop only around Ben and Kate, who wanted to teach him some lessons in domesticity. But instead I've got much more about Kate herself and her private life, with all its ups and downs, problems with her marriage and in work. And although I have expected much more of Ben and his cluelessness around the house, I am not disappointed in the way the plot evolves. The bits when Kate tries to "train" Ben are funny and give lightness to the book and - in my opinion - what was actually so bad that she wanted to prepare him a little for marriage with her sister? It's not that she took him to live with her because she wanted it. So, a girl must have a little fun in life, mustn't she?:)
Kate's life is very interesting, there is something happening all the time and she as a book character is for me not so straightforward as many other chick lit heroines. She is a ball - breaker at work, but out of work she is a vulnerable woman. It was in a way interesting to see how she adapt to the new situation and how she tries to cope with her new life in the old town of hers.
But I must confess that I didn't really know where is the book leading to. We have chapters set in the present and we have chapters set in the past, so we can clearly see what has happened, but all the time I was looking for this "foster husband". Instead I've got an interesting story about Kate, her work, her private life, how she met Matt, her marriage.
Kate is a leading character in the book and she is nicely written, I liked her and actually I understood her. Matt was not my favourite one I must admit but the most I hated Prue. The whole book, every mention of Prue, every word that Prue said were for me like red colour for a bull. No. Never in a hundred years will I like Prue. She was such a negative character, for me full of spite and in my opinion there is nothing that can justify the way she has treated Kate. Ben was a teddy bear and I can tell you in secret that I have actually expected totally different plot, you know, Kate leaving Matt, training Ben to be a good husband to her sister, but in the meantime falling in love with Ben, Ben falling in love with Kate etc. :) This was my idea.
Well, I was wrong, the story is totally different and although I was expected something different, the book had me hooked and kept me interested in reading. The writing is easy and it's flowing, there are no awkward moments and although I have expected a little more I really liked the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit rubbish, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Paperback)
I did not hate this book but it didn't have me up all night desperate to find out what happens next, overall I would describe it as a bit rubbish and I would not recommend it to friends. You can guess what will happen all the way through the book. The plot is weak and the characters are not likeable. When I read I like to get lost in the book, I like to have opinions on the characters, be interested in their stories and be eager to know what happens next. I'm sorry to say this book did none of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars best one yet, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
This is the best of Pippa Wright's books yet. I really enjoyed it. Great summer reading.
Very easy to read and get into. Over too quickly!

4.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting read of moving on from your past, 12 May 2013
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Paperback)
Kate was happy to leave her childhood hometown of Lyme Regis when she was a young girl, but now an adult with her own independent life, she suddenly finds herself back home, and trying to live outside of everyone else's whispers and gossip about her private life, and why she's returned home. She also finds herself with a new flatmate in the form of her sister Prue's fiancé Ben, who is pretty clueless about living with someone and general life etiquette! Kate decides it's time to sharpen Ben up, to train him to be the perfect husband for her sister... and all without him knowing it. But is Kate doing this to be distracted from the disaster that is her own love life? Also, what's the secret she's run away to Lyme Regis with - something that threatens Kate's future happiness for the rest of her life....

I have to say something because I feel it's really important about the book. While it's called The Foster Husband and the synopsis makes out that this is the main story within the book, I would have to disagree and say that the foster husband part of it with Ben is a mere subplot, only really begins when you're about halfway into the book and doesn't actually seem all that important once you reach the end of the book. In fact, I'm a bit puzzled as to why it's pushed so heavily in both the title and the blurb, but there you are. Maybe its a title that will draw readers in but it is perhaps a tad misleading, which were my thoughts once I had finished it and thought about it. That being said, I have to confess that I did really enjoy the book, and the way it was written. The book jumps about in time, from the present day with Kate in Lyme Regis, and then to her past, in her old glamorous job, meeting her husband to the eventual collapse of her marriage which then brings us back to the present day. This allows Wright to slowly and carefully construct Kate's past, and it's fun reading how things happen for her with Matthew, her eventual husband, and I enjoyed the pacing of these parts a lot.

I really enjoyed reading about Kate, she was quite a puzzling character and she keeps things to herself, including what has happened in her marriage to make her flee back home and to a past she would rather forget. You know that things have happened in her past as well, when she was younger that affects her because of how she is with people, but again Wright holds these things back from us and we're left guessing I really enjoyed this aspect of the book because I enjoyed trying to figure out Kate and what had happened, and I have to say I didn't guess the eventual outcome, and I thought it was brilliantly written and handled by Wright, and the way she allowed the characters to deal with it, and it all comes in a very emotionally raw scene with Kate.

Kate was very much a loner in the book, and the only other characters we meet in the book are her husband Matthew, in the flashbacks mainly, her sister Prue, her parents and childhood friend Eddy. While the book is sparse on main and supporting characters, it doesn't seem to matter because all I cared about was Kate and her story, and finding out exactly what had happened to make her how she was. Wright handles her characters really well, and I found her writing really brought me into the book, describing emotions, places and actions so clearly that you can really visualize things as they happen in the book. I thought the portrayals of all of Kate's relationships in the book were excellent, and certainly a highlight of the book for me. In fact, the whole story was a joy to read, and while I thought the foster husband plot was a good sub-plot and allowed for a bit of humour and a break from the other emotional parts, discovering what had happened with Kate was far more interesting and drew me right in, not wanting to stop reading until the end. Wright handles a more serious and emotional story with ease, and it was an excellent read that I will highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to this book and it started off really well and was quite witty in places. As the story developed it all became a little too predictable and the ending disappointing and pretty lame. Not one of the best books I've read.

4.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected, infinitely better (four and a half stars), 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
Kate Martell finds herself returning to her hometown of Lyme Regis in difficult circumstances; nor does it help that its quite the last place she ever envisaged finding herself. After all she left Lyme at the first chance she had and hadn't looked back since; and with a glamorous career, gorgeous husband and busy life in London why should she have? However, Kate's lost everything, and wanting nothing more than to hide herself away, Lyme Regis suddenly seems the perfect place to retreat and lick her wounds. Unfortunately it does mean having to share her granny's old bungalow with her soon to be brother-in-law, however, Kate soon sees this as an opportunity to present her sister with the perfect wedding present; why not train up Ben to be the perfect husband, ironing out the flaws that her experience of her own failed marriage has taught her. As such Kate sets to work, though in the process she may just learn a few lessons of her own.

I have to say that this story did not quite match my preconceptions from the title; though not unpleasantly so. I was expecting more standard chicklit (probably something along the lines of Kate falling for her foster husband), however, what I actually got was a far maturer and realistic story, which made for a refreshing and engaging read.

The main focus of the story is on Kate herself, the story of her failed marriage to Matt related through flashbacks from beginning to end, and also flashbacks to stages of her earlier life in Lyme. The Kate at the start of the story is clearly damaged, and it is through the flashbacks that we slowly start to learn how she has ended up like this, how she has been shaped by events in the past, events that up till now she perhaps has always ran away from. Indeed running away from things when the going gets tough is a reoccurring theme with Kate, and the story is really about her learning to face her past demons in order to move on.

Wright tells her story at a gentle pace that suits its reflective tone; a lot of the key events not actually being revealed until quite late in the story; and I have to say there were a few twists that I hadn't expected, all not being quite as it had seemed. Also for the most part of the story I actually wasn't sure how it was going to end, unlike a lot of chicklit, there could actually have been several plausible endings.

Kate as the central character is easy to relate to; she's far from perfect, but the sort of character that you're rooting for despite her faults and whose actions you can understand.

Although the book covers some darker themes than the average chicklit, it is by no means a depressing read; and the foster husband aspect to the story in particular gives some light relief to contrast. I would say this part of the story is very much a sub-plot, although it does tie in well with the main themes.

Overall this makes for an insightful and refreshing modern read, covering the day to day trials and difficulties of marriage, as well as facing up to one's past. I also thought it dealt well with some difficult subjects,(that I shan't name in order to avoid plot spoilers).

Perhaps my only criticism would be that I thought the ending was a little too easily resolved, and I might have liked a little more exploration between the characters involved at this stage, although the actual ending itself was just as I wished.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title but enjoyable., 11 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Paperback)
The Foster Husband was a light, chick-lit, easy to read book. We've all come across a similar storyline - highly predictable but didn't put me off. The title itself is misleading as the 'foster husband' theme was barely touched upon and not necessary anyway. I also feel certain relationships (what happened to Eddy?!) were introduced and quickly forgotten about. All in all, apart from the odd few niggles, I enjoyed this and managed to get through in a day and a half :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
From the beginning I found this very readable. While it's not the most amazing book ever, it's nicely written, the characters are likeable and it's a good story. Very enjoyable'

2.0 out of 5 stars The foster husband, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
A good holiday read. Rather predictable plot and light.SOme good splashes of humour . An easy , quick enjoyable read .

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Foster Husband (Kindle Edition)
great read with parts that will make you laugh. Great for a holiday read and a nice summer day. X

The Foster Husband