Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£0.99

on 1 April 2013
I can honestly say I'm not an F1 fan, but I do work in media communications, so I was intrigued by the protagonist, Kate Ellison, who lands her dream job as a PR for the Dupont F1 team and essentially gives up her life to become a 24-7 PR slave to dodgy Vincent Dupont, who wants to become known for his luxurious lifestyle as much as his F1 management prowess.

This is an incredibly well written book with a twist and turn plot line that keeps you turning the page and leaves you wanting more. Julia Wurz, the author of Superego, is a very talented writer and manages to make the F1 scenes exciting and interesting even for people who have never even watched a race. It makes you want to be watch a live race...or become a VIP for the day and sneak into a superyacht party hosted by Elton John and Kylie!

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun fictional read about a 20-something woman who has to leave behind her friends, family and (at times) her morals to achieve her ultimate career ambitions.

I'm getting the girls to read this for next month's book at our book club.
on 27 March 2013
SuperEgo is a great insight into life in Formula 1, not so much the on-track action, but the politics and machinations involved in running a successful team. Vincent Dupont is a wonderfully corrupt and calculating team boss who at times made me wonder if he was one of the high profile names I watch on the TV every other Sunday!
As the main character is the Dupont F1 team's press officer you really get to see what goes into making the sport, bosses and drivers look so great on TV and that everything isn't as glamorous as it seems.
Even aside from the F1 insight, I found the story really gripping, so would recommend it to F1 fans and non-fans alike.
on 31 March 2013
I was surprised by how much I loved this book - I couldn't put it down and am feeling a bit lost now I have finished it!

Told through the eyes of Kate, a girl who thinks she has landed her dream job as an F1 team PR manager, this is a fast-paced and cleverly written novel. Kate is witty and smart, and after being thrown in the deep end when her immediate boss is fired in her first week on the job, soon discovers she's working for a crazy megalomaniac who has a dark past. The story follows Kate and her boss Vincent over the F1 season, and there are many insights into the F1 PR machine and the wheeling and dealing that take place in this industry. The descriptions of the nutty characters, huge egos and impossible situations Kate has to deal with made me chuckle. Superego was written by a former F1 PR, so I'm sure some of them aren't far from the truth...

F1 has never really been on my radar, and so I had my reservations about reading a car-related book. However this was a fascinating and very funny read, and actually it has made me more interested in this industry, I will look at it through eyes that have been educated a little as to what goes on behind the scenes...

There is a moral question at the centre of this book, which is tied up well and ends feeling right. Just one gripe: I want to know more about what happens to Kate next, is there going to be a follow-on? A definite 5 stars.
on 27 September 2013
This novel was launched in a blaze of publicity online but sadly failed to live up to it. It's a decent enough, well written novel giving a fascinating insight to F1. However I got lost at whether it was a story about a season in F1 or if it was a story about Kate, the main character. The fact that it took me five months to read the novel isn't because I'm a slow reader, it's because the story didn't grasp or hold my attention the way I hoped it would.
on 17 April 2013
This is a great read - a gripping story with fascinating insights into the world of Formula 1. I really enjoyed it!
on 13 September 2013
Absolutely loved this read which provided a great insight into the working world of Formula 1. Really felt for the main character and portrayed team boss superbly. Twists and turns at every page of the book, even if there isn't much racing spoke about, if anything that made me enjoy the book more, it was really all about behind the scenes.
on 11 June 2013
Awful, just awful.
Poor story and badly written.
Mixing fictional character names with real names from the real world of F1 just didn't work.
At times I wondered if it had even been proof read, for example "Expresso" instead of "Espresso" and not just once, which could have been a typo, but all the way through the book.
on 7 July 2013
As an avid F1 fan & a regular reader I really looked forward to this book but was disapointed beacause the formula 1 element was minimal to the story. I found the characters one dimensional and didn't really warm to the main character.
As a summer read this book was OK but if the F1 aspect is important to you I wouldn't bother.
on 28 September 2013
A great story by Julia Wurz, about the work of a press officer for the fictitious DuPont F1 team. The story shows the stressful and high speed world of F1, and also the dirty dealing which goes on. Running alongside is the effect this kind of work has on the friendships of the main character. If you are a fan of F1 enjoy the read.
on 17 April 2013
I have been waiting for a novel set in the world of Formula1 and I loved every page of it. Julia Wurz knows her stuff and the book has the ring of authenticity. She is also a fabulous writer and the pages just race by. I was sorry to get to the finish line.