4.0 out of 5 stars No
I wouldn't buy u get the same names about 50 times and not worth it look for a book with one name
Published 1 month ago by Debbie McTeir

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money!
Published on 30 Jan 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money!, 30 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I am not often moved to write a review on something I bought but I was very disappointed. You would be better off with a decent book containing a tenth of the names. Most of them are so ridiculous- would you call your child Ponce, Napoleon, Spunk, Wind, (boys) Scally, Fog, Fructuose, Po, (girls) to name but a few. Apologies if anyone likes or has these names but I found every page had at least 75% unusable names even for broad minded parents. At first we found it funny until we realised the author is charging us for taking the mickey. Surely its meant to be a joke!

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly-researched, unhelpful and ridiculous!, 24 Feb 2008
Don't buy this. Seriously. A large proportion of the names this woman has come up with are insane (Delete? Loocho? Joebob?), her meanings are usually inaccurate and often just made up by her and the origins she gives for them are dubious.
I really regret wasting my money on this. For anyone who is looking for a 'fun' baby name book with useful suggestions, I recommend instead 'The Baby Name Wizard' by Laura Wattenberg. And if you're looking for a book which really knows its onions viz. meanings etc, try 'The Oxford Dictionary of First Names.'
This book is really, really BAD. I don't write many reviews on here, but this one moved me to do so if only in the hope of depriving this silly woman of more undeserved royalties.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad., 3 Jan 2009
C. James "Torianna" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
As others have said, this book is truly awful.

Stafford boasts that this is 'the very best baby-naming book ever' - a bold statement indeed from someone who claims Winsor (sic) is the English for 'Royal' - there i was thinking Windsor was the place name that the royals adopted to move awy from their German name...

And would you name your son Spanky? Teddy-Blue (American for smiley, apparently!)

And the 75 fun lists includes 'names for children of lesbians and gays', 'names that make you smile', 'names for future lawyers', 'names that will help make your baby popular', and 'comfy names that kids like having'. All totally ridiculous.

The book will only be useful in the unlikely event that the world runs out of firewood.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, 4 Jun 2008
I have not felt 'inspired' to write a review before, but wanted to warn people before wasting their money on this book. It is full of names that, quite frankly, are presumably jokes. Anyone out there want to call their child Chopo, Camp, Prop, Danger, Boat, Blocker, Schmoopie, Dill, Hunn or Spider? I could have just as well bought a dictionary and picked names out of that.
The only positive thing to say is that the introduction is quite a good read, but even then deteriorates into anecdotes of people with ususual names, who basically just say "I really liked my name when I was growing up" or the opposite. Hmmmm.
Please don't waste your money buying this! I wish I had read these reviews before I had.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous book, 20 May 2008
Unfortunately this is a very Americanised book with zillions of names in it that in my opinion are non-names, if you see what I mean. Things like Steel (ths is a bit of metal as far as I'm concerned), Cowboy (I mean, would you really?!!), Day (er ...) Bash (aaggghhh, I'm not giving birth to a comic-strip character!!) etc etc etc.... It might give you a laugh for a few minutes, but I don't think it'll give you a baby name.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of names but short on details., 8 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This book does contain a lot of names, and although I did find it useful I would probably buy a more concise version next time. Definitely buy this if you are looking for a wierd and wonderful name! One detail I liked was the fun lists at the start of the book, with headings like "Good Names For Racing Drivers" and "Old Fashioned Girl Names That Are Cute Again". However, I was a bit dubious about some of the meanings given; for example sometimes when two versions of spelling a name were given, like Sean and Shaun, they had different definitions too - I'm not sure if this is right! I would have preferred to have fewer names but more detail on the background and origin of each name.

1.0 out of 5 stars a load of rubbish, 15 Oct 2011
Let me give you an example of some names... bacon, chubby, essex most aren't even names just words, don't waste a penny on this rubbish!

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it no stars I would!, 3 Sep 2010
D. PARKER "Parkers" (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
I hardly ever bother to review anything but after looking through to page 23/24 I decided I had to. Any book that is written by an author who thinks it appropriate or right to list 2 groups of names with the titles "Boy names for children of lesbians and gays" and "Girls names for children of lesbian and gays" shouldn't even be given away. I am surprised this Homophobic drivel was allowed to be published. I am glad I borrowed this book from the library and did not purchase it and it will be being returned as soon as I get the chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish!, 20 Sep 2008
Please do not buy this book! One of the tag lines say's "Every name you can imagine" so I imagined my little boys name Ronan. It's not in there but Truk, Savage, Leather and Norb is!!!!!
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, you would be better off buying an atlas and looking at place names.

1.0 out of 5 stars put together without any love or intelligence, 12 Oct 2007
C. Account "universe" (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
this is how the book gets to 40,001 names: it lists all variations of a name as separate entries... yaaawn

also, much worse nearly all "meanings" behind the name are totally wrong

Diane Stafford seems to have no clue.

...if you check how valuable the book is to others, pls see fo rhow low they sell in teh used section... 18 pence...

40, 001 Best Baby Names