on 16 April 2013
I first read Prester John when I was about 14 and I was instantly hooked by John Buchan. I've now read and re-read most of his books over the years, but having the complete works on Kindle is like having a treasure chest which I can just dip into and read whenever and wherever I am. He is an intelligent master adventure story teller and I never cease to be totally entranced by his description of John Laputa dancing on a remote Scottish beach by moonlight, and then his description of the subsequent meeting in a cave in Africa. Most people only recognise 'The Thirty-nine Steps' but that is just one of his many excellent stories where right is right, good prevails over evil, and there is an innate pride in being British. Just love these books!
on 28 August 2013
This is an extremely good collection from a very knowledgable publisher. I thought that one of their short stories was missing the last two sections and dropped them a note to that effect. Almost by return I got a lovely reply:

"The Watcher by the Threshold is one of Buchan’s most anthologised short stories and several versions appear in different editions. Our edition provides the original and rarer 1900 Blackwood’s Magazine version, which is shorter than later editions of the tale. It isn’t missing an ending, just short"

A quite brilliant response. Quite made my day!
on 11 November 2013
One of the best fiction writers ever. He used his upbringing and overseas military action to provide brilliant thriller writing. These days some weak souls could see it as, at times, un P.C but his story telling still stands the test of time.
He died 4 years after Alfred Hitchcock's version of the iconic 'Thirty Nine Steps'. Although many changes I feel if Buchan had seen the film he would have approved.
You can follow a trail of Scottish writers who were influenced by their predecessors; Walter Scott>Robert Louis Stevenson>Arthur Conan Doyle(influenced by his tutor at Edinburgh Uni)John Buchan>Alastair Maclean then more up to date, the late Ian Banks,Ian Rankin, Kate Aitchenson ( I know she comes from York! )
Jekyll and Hyde, Ivanhoe, Sherlock Holmes., Richard Hannay, Rebus, Brodie etc iam sure an English Academic will disagree, I am only a lowly P.E Teacher
on 22 April 2013
One of the most effective Scottish writers of the twentieth century. His lyrical country descriptions and derring do adventures with amazingly romantic heroes and heroines, he lived Putin his own life when he became Governor General of Canada, as Lord Tweedsmuir.
on 2 December 2015
Some of the more famous novels are very readable but others are very poorly proof-read (if at all)

I am currently reading the novel "The Courts of Mourning" (Richard Hannay) and I am very disappointed that this book is absolutely riddled with errors from the very start. There are so many typos that the novel is almost unreadable. There are punctuation errors, missing words, grammar errors and frequently completely the wrong words.

I wonder what kind of book this is supposed to be? It is certainly quite unlike any book I have ever read before. It looks like it was typeset by an intoxicated 5 year old who could not speak English.
on 7 October 2013
Great value for kindle users. The stories are real page turners with Buchan's beautiful descriptive narrative painting the scenes! A must have for Buchan lovers.
on 27 November 2013
So far I have thoroughly enjoyed The thirtynine steps, The Three hostages, John Macnab, Sir Quixote of the moors, The power House but didn't enjoy "The path of a King", Expect I will enjoy the others in due course but I'm a slow reader and have other books that I will have to read first. Although a Scott myself I found a lot of Scottish vocabulary that the dictionary has no entries for
on 16 February 2015
I haven't read everything in this collection but I have read all the Hannay and Leithen novels. I had forgotten how much casual racism there was in fiction of this period and Buchan is no exception. If you can put that aside, often difficult, the books are hugely enjoyable thrillers and adventure stories in the classic mould. I hadn't appreciated either just how good a writer Buchan was. His descriptions of landscape are especially wonderful.

Strongly recommended from what I've read so far is 'Sick Heart River' the last Leithen story. The characterisation is strong, the writing and description is beautiful and by the time of writing it his racism has receded to a rather naive belief in stereotypical national qualities. This doesn't detract from the story.
on 23 March 2015
Buchan is a master story teller. I was hooked as a schoolboy by Huntingtower, which is written in wonderful English, which has an incredibly good story and which shows a versatility that is rarely seen. John McNab is a wonderful read, amusing, exciting and with characters we would love to meet. I have mentioned these two because they are sublime. Try him and you will be hooked.

Google his name and you will see what a rich and varied life he had. Yet he found time to write and, though he is from a different age, he speaks to all ages. He has no equal because he is in a class of his own.
on 23 March 2014
I always enjoyed this writer but he is considered a bit old fashioned and jingoistic. This collection of stories shows just why he was so popular, but maybe its an age thing.