5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & so compact!
Great machine. It plays all my UK & US DVD's and Blu-rays perfectly. I know most Blu-rays are all region these days, but I have some (mainly Criterion ones) which are locked to Region A and this unit plays them without any problem. Highly recommended!
Published 14 months ago by TM McRae

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T UPDATE FIRMWARE!!!
Published 10 months ago by C. Lister

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T UPDATE FIRMWARE!!!, 15 Oct 2013
C. Lister (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SONY BDP-S3100 Multizone All Region Wi-Fi DVD Blu ray Player - 1 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 COAX, 1 ETHERNET + 6 Feet HDMI Cable Included. Compact Size (W x D x H) 290 x 193 x 42 mm. 100~240V 50/60Hz Int'l Version with EU/UK Power Plug (2m HDMi Cable Included) (Electronics)
Bought this Blu-Ray player as it played All Zone and All Region Blu-Ray/DVDs as I import a lot of box sets from other countries. This at the time cost me 225. Which, I felt was a little expensive, but I thought I might as well splash out. Although the seller was MULTISYSTEM WORLD the order is fulfilled by Amazon and, so I got it pretty quickly being an Amazon Prime Member.

I took everything out of the box, and everything was present and correct. However, noticed the Travel Adapter provided with this set felt a bit loose when you put in the American plug into it. It isn't so wobbly that you lose power, but then I was a little concerned over it being a fire hazard. But five Days in there has been no fires.

Setup was straightforward and had no problems. Product worked as advertise you can switch among zones with one, two, and three buttons on the remote provided. Also, the DVD is region free. So no problems there. However, even though all the online features worked. The firmware update feature didn't. Little confused by this. I tried using Wi-Fi and, then went back to Ethernet cable and put my information manually and nothing worked. So, after a lot of head scratching later I decided to contact MULTISYSTEM WORLD and I emailed them and asked them for help. Very surprised they contacted me very quickly telling me to download a zip file they sent me and put it on a CD-R disc. I followed their advice and copied the firmware patch and put it into the player it read the disc and updated my machine to the latest firmware. Great! Well...no not great. Now the machine won't play DVDs of any region and the machine will only play Region B Blu-Rays. Why didn't they tell me this would happen if I updated the firmware? I only updated the firmware because some Blu-Rays wouldn't work on the machine in the first place! They should have put that on the instructions *Warning* Firmware updates will reset modifications. *Warning*

So, if you decide to buy this machine, then don't update the firmware as you will end up with an overpriced Blu-Ray player, which only cost 79.99 on Sony's website. However, the one on their site is more than likely unmodified.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & so compact!, 3 July 2013
TM McRae (Dumbarton, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Blu ray player BDP-S3100, 3 Jun 2014
Great player, gives a clear well balanced picture, up scaling really does work. Fairly easy to set up and get working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and works well with other Sony gear, 18 May 2014
Very impressed by the S3100. I'd spent a while looking at different models and this All-Region version (you press 1 - ON for "Region A", 2 - ON for "Region B", 3 - ON for "Region C", all the DVD regions are Automatic) is the ticket.

The only thing you don't do is connect this baby to the WWW as it'll kill the All-Region hack.

A nice feature with the remote is that it also has buttons to control Sony Smart TV's, and actually when HDMI'd up to a Sony telly, will actually turn it on automatically once the S3100 is turned on.

The only slight annoyance is that due to the hack, it very rarely remembers where you left off on a Bluray disc when you pause a movie and turn the unit off, nor does it have a Disc memory for the last few discs to remember where you were on those discs either. My Pioneer DVD players for years ago even did this simple feature.

Apart from that, unless you need the extra few features of the S5100, the S3100 will suffice for 95% of people out there, especially if you're using other Sony gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars MULTI ZONE, MULTI STARS, 4 May 2014
I just got this and played 2 films,DVD of The Liquidator & BLUE RAY of The Big Gundown.
All 3 get 5 STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product. A must if you travel and buy DVD or Blu-ray, 7 Feb 2014
Multiregion changes are very easy for Blu-ray and by default for DVD

Small size and low weight is adequate for transport from one room or one house to another.

Very good picture quality via HMDI

Price very affordable for multiregion convenience