5.0 out of 5 stars Best output from a portable solar panel, close to stated spec in sunshine.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:48 Mins
I bought the 15W and the 7W panels. Both are superb. I would suggest that the 15W is good for car camping and cycle touring while the 7W is light enough for backpacking. Stated specs come close to real-world operation. In perfect bright sunshine, you can expect to see over 2A on the 15W and over 1A on the 7W. Note that most phones and external...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. N. Webber

3.0 out of 5 stars works well in bright sunlight
the portapow website talks about it being able to charge in slightly cloudy conditions, but this clearly means cloudy with the sun still shining between the clouds onto the panel .. not cloudy per se...

However in bright sunshiny conditions .... it charges straight away ... even cold wintry sunshine gets a charge through a large glass patio door .... im sure...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. B. T. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic investment. Good quality, fast delivery, good communication., 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: PortaPow 7W USB Solar Charger for Portable Electronics (Accessory)
Received the portapow 7w today unexpectedly fast. The solar panels are made with a brilliant craftmanship. Good quality, and looks robust. The panels fit perfectly on the lid of my Vaude rucksack who is designed for this porpose. Tested with my daughter's IPhone and started charging even when aproached to a indoor lamp. This model has a good rating and it deserve it. Happy with the delivery and the communication from Amazon that updated me every day with the state of the delivery. I'm expecting it to work briliant as it is looking. Fantastic deal. Strongly recomended. Stay safe, Pablo G

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great! I tried another brand, 6 Sept. 2014
Absolutely great! I tried another brand, which would happily work in the sun, but when the sun disappeared, so did the power to your phone. On one occasion, I found my phone had been completely discharged.
The Portapow on the other hand, works great! In the sun and when its cloudy and even in artificial light.
I am so pleased with it, i bought, the company; well, lets say i would do if i had loads of money.
Obviously, it will work faster in sunny conditions, but if like me, you live in old Blighty, this is the one i would recommend.
Very satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works better in direct sun but over the day (9hrs) in ..., 20 Aug. 2014
Works better in direct sun but over the day (9hrs) in just daylight it charged my Samsung tablet to 90% but in direct sun it took just 5hrs so its a good product for the cost in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this product a week ago and so far so good. Used only on over cast days and its ..., 9 Mar. 2015
Bought this product a week ago and so far so good.

Used only on over cast days and its charged almost everything

It charges my Qi Note 3 as quick as its Qi pad companion but wouldn't charge an ipad.

As a layman I therefore suspect on an overcast day its still kicking out 1Amp.
I look forward to a sunny day when i have no reason to doubt it will charge the power thirsty 2Amp ipad.

So far i've charged a bluetooth speaker and headphones, my Note 3 and as i write its happily charging via cloudy skies an Anker 15000 amh battery charger.

It seems a sturdy showerproof product but of course be weary of the USB connectors getting wet.
I'm a bloke and i need build quality and this product seems to fit the bill.

It apparantly comes with an inbuilt volt regulator; which is unseen. I wouldn't buy a solar panel without this little bit of electrical alchemy.

I'm curious as to whether the Portapow enhanced leads sold here will actually make a difference to charge times?

I recommend this product; well done PORTAPOW

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 3 Jun. 2014
Fitzy "yup." (OSWESTRY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
FIRST: I would recommend buying the portapow USB power Monitor with this device otherwise you will not know exactly how much power you are generating.

This solar panel is smaller than I thought. Not too small, but smaller than I imagined. Each panel is about the size of A4 paper. Folded up they take up very little space indeed and it is quite light as well.

Each panel has a pocket at the back with a usb cable for connecting. I plugged my Nexus 4 into one of the USBs to charge and the phone began to charge ok. However, the phone began to bleep straight away as it appeared to be on/off charging... not getting a full current.

Luckily I had bought the PortaPow USB Power monitor and found that the panels were only processing 4.8volts. The phone needs 5.15volts to give it a proper charge - I'm not sure if the phone would still charge without damaging the phones battery but I thought best not to risk it.

The weather was over cast and raining and I was surprised i was getting as much power as I was.

The next day was full of sunshine (June 1st 2014 - UK) and I tried again. This time the panels were throwing out 5.28volts, more than enough to charge the phone properly. It took no longer than normal to charge the phone.

Great for sunny days but just misses on cloudy days... by a fraction! Overall this is great and i will report back to see if it can charge a phone safely on cloudy days without full power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job as advertised,portable works well on my s4 which I use a lot on sat nav. not to large when folded out, 27 Nov. 2013
Does the job as advertised,portable ,works well on my s4 which I use a lot on sat nav .its not to large when folded out and there are plenty of loops for securing the panel down.The pocket on the back is ideal for holding/charging a spare battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for when you're just not near a socket., 8 Feb. 2015
Lewis (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I managed to charge all of the following devices with this in direct winter sun through a window: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Nexus 5, Motorola Nexus 6, Asus Nexus 7 (2013). I won't be using it for outdoor adventures and really have my eyes set on holidays when I'm on the beach or a socket just isn't convenient. I have tried it during heavy overcast conditions but the power output wasn't enough to charge my phone - I'm not surprised as it was very overcast. I've taken a shot of the day I used it to charge multiple phones, some at the same time. I think I'll be getting the power monitor too as it would be nice to know what the panel is putting out during different conditions...

5.0 out of 5 stars best solar panel charger their is at this price, 21 Aug. 2014
This is only one of many reviews for products iv bought online. but anyway here it goes.

Id been searching for a solar panelled solution to charge my mobile phone while im out and about for months. as i work security at alot of festivals and outdoors so i dont always have access to electrical sockets. so my search begane here on amazon, for months id searched, read reviews about alot of solar panels. i wanted one that was not made with cheap panels. i wanted something for the outdoors in all weathers so waterproof was a must.
So i found this The PortaPow 15w solar charger - i purchased and it came next day. opened it and i have to say its casing its brilliant. the black waterproof cover is brilliant. 3 panels, all waterproof with a pocket at the back to put your device in whilst its charging.
as for powerful panels. well of course like any solar product. they only work as good as the power of the sun so of course the more powerful the sun is the more power the solar panels produce.
it does work on cloudy days as well so thats good. their is also a power meter you can buy to see how much power the solar panels are producing which im buying myself soon so i recommend people purchase that too. so
overall this is the best solar panel charger i have ever purchased and i doubt you will find a better one. if you do let me know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good build quality and fast at charging in direct sunlight ..., 25 Sept. 2014
Extremely good build quality and fast at charging in direct sunlight but did struggle with cloudy days. Extremely good purchase, now i wouldn't go camping without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good direct charger for your gizmos., 1 Jun. 2014
I tested this as follows:

Samsung S4 - actual test:
1st June 2014 - Sun with occasional cloud - Morning - flight mode OFF
8:54am ---- 60%
11:05am ---- 100%
= 2 hours 10 mins to charge 40%

Equates to:
5 hours 25 mins to charge from 0% to 100% approx in morning sun with occasional cloud.

iPhone - actual test:
1st June 2014 Spells of strong Sun and spells of heavy Cloud (50:50) - airplane mode ON
11:25am ---- 49%
1:45 pm ---- 100%
= 2 hours 20 mins to charge 50%

Equates to:
4 hours 40 mins to charge from 0% to 100% approx with lots of cloud & spells of strong midday sun, with flight mode ON.

Charging very well in strong sun - charging slower with the sun behind the cloud but still charging. (Sun was not even casting a shadow as the cloud obscured it, yet it's still charging)
Had to unplug it and plug it back in three times due to heavy cloud causing iPhone to show 'this accessory may not be supported'. This is typical for an apple product as they don't accept anything less than a perfect charge. (Samsung S4 just keeps charging) The solar battery would no doubt iron out the bumps in supply if this bothers you. For me it's perfect - I just check the iPhone when it's a little bit too cloudy. If I get a chance I will test two phones at once & test an ipad and post results.

PLEASE NOTE: This test shows typical English sunny days with lots of cloud about, if the sun was constant the charging times would probably be half. And yes as fast as a mains charger. Overall I'm pleased to be able to charge when camping without any mains for over a week & I would recommend this solar charger.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›