5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, heartfelt approach to mindfulness
Published 15 months ago by Karen T

2.0 out of 5 stars having heard the one in the book by Mark Williams (which was brilliant by the way)
I really bought this book just for the CD, having heard the one in the book by Mark Williams (which was brilliant by the way). However, I didn't warm to the voice of the reader on this CD at all; I found her voice quite annoying, so defeated the object of relaxation. Would definitely recommend the Mark Williams mindfulness book over this one if you are only going to buy...
Published 2 months ago by Mandala

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, heartfelt approach to mindfulness, 9 Sep 2013
I loved this book. Not only does it guide the reader through an interesting and enjoyable mindfulness course, but it brings the practice to life with inspiring personal stories of people who have benefited enormously from mindfulness techniques. These stories provide a compassionate insight into everyday life, and how easy it is to lose ourselves when things get tough. Whether you've become distanced from your real self through stress, a pain condition or illness, this book teaches you mindfulness techniques that can put you back in touch with your true self again. It is thoroughly well written, in a very open and approachable style - reading it is like doing a mindfulness course with a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you'll ever need, 11 Oct 2013
Having suffered with fibromyalgia, ME, chronic migraines and violent anxiety wondering what was wrong with me for the last 4 yrs and having tried almost everything. I found the original book "Living well with pain and illness" and within 6 pages I knew everything was going to be ok. So much so that I am now on week 3 of the Breathworks course in Manchester and I know with certainty that I want to become a Breathworks teacher so that I can spread the word. This new book is just the icing on the cake and so easy to read and understand. No mumbo jumbo. Enjoy the journey and remember, as Buddha said -Illness is nothing to be ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom and opens the way to happiness. Through illness human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understanding it's value and dignity and strive to leave more fulfilling lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, helpful book, 10 Sep 2013
Mindfulness for Health makes mindfulness simple, practical and accessible. The programme can change your life and is easy to follow. For anyone living with pain or illness or experiencing aches and pains due to stress - get this book. Packed full of case histories, all the benefits are well illustrated. I liked the 10 minute meditations on the cd very much. Vidyamala Burch has spent decades developing the Breathworks programme that is the foundation of the book, and it shows. Not just nice theory, all the techniques have been honed through both her and Danny Penman's personal experience as shown in the way they talk about using mindfulness to deal with their own injuries. Highly recommended to anyone with pain, stress or illness or just wants to learn more about mindfulness and be shown how to apply it to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformative and practical kindness, 22 Nov 2013
L. Harrison (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Beneath this wonderfully accessible text lies an impressive depth of scientific research and the authors' extensive experience of managing their chronic pain. The guided exercises are easy to follow and the whole suggested programme is realistic for someone in pain or suffering stress and illness. I particularly liked the 'habit releasers'. The tone of the book is warm and down to earth, but also incredibly inspiring. This book goes beyond many pain management programmes in being both very practical and also engaging the heart. Learning mindfulness techniques and meditation is NOT about passively accepting your fate, becoming falsely positive or sitting cross legged on the floor for hours a day! By incorporating these Breathworks mindfulness practices into my life I am now happier and more connected with others than I was even before my accident.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mindfulness for Health: A practical guide to relieving pain, reducing stress and restoring wellbeing (Kindle Edition)
I have read a number of books on mindfulness they were all really good, but this book gives you a different perspective by dealing directly with being in pain. Whether that pain is real like a broken limb or in the mind through stress etc, it's irrelevant, you are in pain and this book not only recognises that but it also gives people the right to address that pain. The best book I have read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has helped with pain control., 27 Nov 2013
I would recommend this book and it has a CD to assist meditation. It is easy to follow and has helped me to deal with the pain and helped me relax alot more. I find it easier to live in the moment now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book well worth buying, 22 Jan 2014
I have just finished reading this book it is so worth buying it helped me such alot while suffering with back pain, and Achilles tendinitis. Really makes you see things in a different way and learns you how not to concentrate on the pain and coping mechanisms, If you are suffering this book is well worth the read its a book that you can keep referring back too, definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly useful text on mindfulness, 23 Sep 2013
S. Mac Suibhne (Australia) - See all my reviews
Mindfulness for Health successfully adapts and extends the Breathworks mindfulness-based pain management programme.

The engaging and clear writing style provides the essential skills and supporting theoretical context. The technical aspects of meditation and neurobiology are communicated without obscuring the 'how to' and experiential aspects of mindfulness. The result is `the means whereby' to apply mindfulness to both the prevention and management of chronic health conditions and stress. Allowing those new to mindfulness techniques to meaningfully apply them and more experienced practitioners to gain fresh insights to integrate into their own practice or teaching. I am particularly enjoying the guided meditations CD and freshening up my practice.

Without discounting Vidyamala's and Danny Penman's considerable experience and credentials of teaching and publishing on mindfulness, their perspectives are clearly enriched by the first hand experience of benefiting from mindfulness. An important aspect of the programme is its authenticity, both authors bring their own experiences of applying mindfulness to managing personal pain and suffering.

There are few that would not benefit from this programme

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for 'Mindfulness for Health' - a softer, acheivable way to manage your pain., 12 Sep 2013
There are several things I really like about this book. I like the CD with its 8 tracks of guided mindfulness practices - Vidyamalas voice is just gorgeous and instantly transports me into a calmer, less tense, trusting state where my painful body can relax and my breath can help me be 'be here now'. I like the case histories, not just Dannys & Vidyamalas own personal experiences, but all the other examples of people suffering with different conditions, and their ways of translating mindfulness into everyday activities that gave them so much more freedom and enjoyment in their lives again. I like the encouraging tone of the book and the gentle way in which the reader is invited to experience these moments of mindfulness as they progress through the course and reflect on how it feels for them. I've read both 'Finding Peace' and 'Living well', the 2 authors other books, and found them both incredibly useful and helpful. I've done the courses and now teach mindfulness, so I've read a lot around this subject and I can honestly say that this book has made mindfulness as simple & do-able as possible - anyone could read or listen to this book, follow the CD tracks and begin, immediately, to experience the benefits for themselves. I'm giving copies of this great book to family, friends and neighbours as I know it will help ease their suffering. I can't recommend Mindfulness for Health highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book, in the opinion of an open-minded sceptic, 14 July 2014
I tend to be a bit sceptical about these sorts of things, but I bought this with an open mind and I really can't recommend it enough.

The book strips away the more spiritual elements of mindfulness meditation that many may find off-putting, and it roots its approach instead on sound, scientific evidence. It guides you through an eight-week course, at the end of which you can continue with mindfulness independently, mixing and matching the meditations that are best suited for you. All you have to do are two ten-minute meditations per day, plus a habit releaser like patiently watching a kettle boil, but the effects are far-reaching. Most of the things this course teaches you are common sense, but being made to actively readjust your attitudes each day really does begin to make a difference.

I've been suffering from frequent migraines for some time, and I bought this book during a particularly bad period. I can honestly say it has really helped (and is continuing to help) me with my approach to life in general, not just with dealing with the migraines. At its heart, mindfulness is about encouraging you to focus on what's actually happening in the present moment, and appreciate that life is a flow of changing sensations, thoughts and emotions, rather than allowing yourself to get bogged down by every thought or feeling that crosses your mind or body. I'm far from being a zenned-up yogi, but I find myself less weighed down by negative thoughts, and more aware of everything that's happening around me, leaving me more open to appreciate the small, simple pleasures in life.

This truly is a life-changing book!