4.0 out of 5 stars A storyline for all ages
Published 22 months ago by Sandy S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was expecting
Published 22 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars A storyline for all ages, 7 May 2013
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
REVIEW: LOKI'S WOLVES is the first storyline in Kelly Armstrong/Melissa Marr's new middle grade series The Blackwell Pages based on Norse mythology and the end of the world. If you are a fan of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief et al, you will like this particular series. Although the premise and its characters focuses on thirteen year old reluctant heroes, the novel can be read by teens and adults of all ages.

The story tells the tale of a Norse legend where Thor (the god of Thunder) and Loki (god and shapeshifter) must band together to prevent the end of the world known as Ragnarok. There are varying myths-some say they fought side by side, while others say they were enemies until the end. Loki is known as malicious and a trickster.

In Loki's Wolves, are two young heroes, Matt Thorsen and Fen Brekke, along with Fen's cousin Laurie, are forced into a war between good and evil. But it is Matt who learns rather quickly that he has been chosen to fight the serpent and in doing so, it could very well end his life. The scenarios presented look grim from all accounts and many of the old Norse mythological stories run true to form as the young teens search South Dakota for the other young descendants of Norse deities who will fight by their side.

Along the way, our young trio must fight a shapeshifting pack of wolves, trolls who turn to stone at dawn and an evil witch who brings nightmares and death. Many of the Norse mythological gods and demons are represented including Odin, Frey and Freya (the twins), the Norns (females who rule the destiny of gods), Valkyries, trolls, Balder and more. If you are a fan of Norse mythology many of the gods and the storyline premise will be a contemporary but familiar friend.

Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr have brought together their combined ability to tell a story and have woven a fantasy tale to be enjoyed by readers of all ages. Loki's Wolves is the first storyline of what is sure to be a wonderful series full of childhood adventures with mythological creatures and supernatural powers

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot)com

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 31 Oct. 2013
I wanted to read this because the story intrigued me, and when it arrived at work I knew I had to read it for sure so I could tell if it was good to recommend or not. It is classed at work as a 9-12 book but that didn't deter me.

I will admit I was surprised when I opened the book as their are full page pictures in there, but they look so awesome, almost like a comic book type style! I'm a huge Avengers fan so the whole Thor and Loki thing intrigued me but I was quite excited to learn about some of the other Norse Gods as I don't know much about them.

The story didn't mess about, and it jumped straight in with the quest in the first few chapters with a plot twist as well! The whole book was really fast paced and beautifully written with amazing drawings to accompany it.

While you probably go in to the book knowing about Thor and Loki the story also makes references to the fact that in some of the stories Loki and Thor are friends instead of enemies, and doesn't stick to a rigid plotline following the most well known myths, the characters can change their own story to either be friends or enemies. In this one we so far see them as friends.

You also get to learn about the other Gods, so far we've briefly met Odin, as well as Balder and the twins Frey and Freya who have a weird sort of power similar to Witches from the best I can tell and Balder who is impervious to harm except for Mistletoe. I'm excited for the next installment to meet some of the other Gods, as the team are left setting off to find Hel to try and get Balder back from another plot twist that I was really hoping wouldn't happen! This is one of the few books i've read where it's not at all predictable and you are kept guessing as there are so many versions of the myths about these Gods that you don't which one will come true!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was expecting, 6 May 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong's work and have loved her Young Adult as well as her adult titles with each successive release, yet this title is different from both as its aimed at a younger market still, that of the reader being in the 8+ age group. Whilst there will be quite a few people who will love this, I personally had a lot of problems as it felt rather rushed, the characters pretty flat and all round really didn't give me that magical feeling that I've had from her work previously as she's given the readers characters that they can get to know and love to spend time around.

Whilst this is a joint project, with two well-known authors writing together I had expected a lot more than what I received. All round it is OK and future titles may well pick up and take this to something pretty epic but if your young reader wants a book with a Norse feel to it, I'd heartily recommend John Flannigan's Outcast series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story and characters, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Blackwell Pages: 01 Loki's Wolves: Number 1 in series (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. The characters although all children to save the world are believable as they fight their own insecurities and fears while having to grow up quickly. Great story and the beginning of lifetime friendships can't wait for next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 7 July 2013
When I bought it,did not realise that was for young readers, I start reading it now I have put it aside for I have nothing to read, i like the author other books, very much

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the next one? Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 12 Aug. 2013
Although this is aimed at teenagers, i bought it because Kelly Armstrong co-authored it. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book! I'm hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct. 2014
Engaging and perfect for my 8 year old who is hooked on adventure !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 12 May 2013
Not a bad read, I might read any subsequent books in the series if I get around to it. That being said, it is obviously aimed at a much younger audience then the Other world series and is no where near as fast paced or exciting, the plot and dialogue isn't as complex and well developed and the character's and as engaging, in fact reminds me overwhelmingly of the tv series "the Johnson's" but is a little less charming.