1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome and Macabre, 14 Nov. 2013
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
So I read this in about two hours tops. A YA novel about the last boy in the Baddenfield line, a family so depraved and so bad, that people are delighted when they die. A family, because of its extreme depravity, has a tendency of dying young.

Alexander is raised and taken care of by Winterbottom, who is also the last in line of a family who - throughout history - have tried and failed miserably, to look after their Baddenfield masters and attempting to prevent their untimely deaths. Now Winterbottom is adamant about beating that family curse, and is therefore paranoid about absolutely everything, creating all sorts of rules that young Alexander is to follow and doing all that he can to keep Alexander away from danger. But then Alexander, who has always been fearless especially of his own death, has the absurd idea of transferring all his cat's 9 lives onto him, so he won't ever need to worry about dying again.

Alexander being the Baddenfield that he is, however, abuses his lives, and ends up dying in the most horrid and gruesome ways. Upon his last life, he becomes more paranoid than Winterbottom ever was, so paranoid that he coups himself up in his home and refuses to eat, drink or do anything but lie down in his room. He becomes so frail and his immune system so weak, that he ends up dying from an allergy he developed to his cat who was with him in the room.

Poetic justice? I believe so.

I did not particularly enjoy this book. And I did not particularly like it at all. I read it in 2 hours, because it is a fast and short read, but in truth, there was very little that kept me going besides my own determination to want to finish the book. I do like some factors in it, I did appreciate the lessons the book attempted to give, and for that I gave it 2 stars.

The Nine Lives of Alexander Baddenfield