5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Return To Form, 2 April 2013
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
My first OMD record was the single of Messages and the first time I saw them live was at Birmingham Odeon on the Organisation tour in 1980. I've seen them many times since and bought many records since, but really the "golden period" for me is those first four albums from OMITD to Dazzle Ships.

History of Modern? Nah, didn't like it, I was so disappointed and despite it's great reviews and friends telling me how excellent it was I've never really taken to it.

I was pleased to hear there was a new album out, which I will admit I thought I'd just buy and stick on the shelf with the others. Then, I heard "Metroland" and I thought "bloody hell, it's brilliant!" Yes, it is bloody brilliant. Classic OMD. Andy's voice soars for the chorus, the synth sounds are superb, sounding OMD and a little like the group that begin with K, but that's no bad thing. From the plinky-plonky synth beginning you can just tell it's a corker. And it even has choral voices which made this nearly-50 bloke happy, I can tell you!

You can seven tracks with this download, six versions of Metroland and the b-side (do they have b-sides now?), The Great White Silence, which is dark and moody in an A&M kind of way. The great thing about the tracks is that even the different mixes of Metroland still sound like the original track. I hate those mixes that sound nothing like the track. Over 40 minutes of music for 4 is great value. Shame there wasn't a physical product to buy though, I'm a little old fashioned like that.

Any wavering old OMD fans out there who are not quite sure what the new stuff is like should rest easy. Metroland is Andy and Paul at their best. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
This is an awesome song. I have listened to it carefully with their back-catalogue in mind, to decide if it really is one of OMD's best - and it is. Easily up there with Messages, Enola Gay and Joan of Arc. They opened with this track when I saw them in Nottingham (supported by the equally brilliant John Foxx - May 2013), and it hit the spot perfectly for a superb gig. There's more than a nod to Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" and "Trans Europe Express" days in this song. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Metroland Single, 6 May 2013
Miss M. Potter "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
Metroland is a great new single from OMD and there are some interesting alternative mixes and other songs here that make a good little album in its own right.
Only down side is that there is no physical single CD edition available. There is a vinyl edition but no CD. Not everybody is into downloads. Anyway the music is first class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great single, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
From a great album, English electric. To some it may sound no different from their earlier stuff but is that a bad thing? I don't think so. When I heard the track for the first time from the album i had to have the single for the different mixes and i don't think there is a bad version here.
So glad they can still produce quality songs like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely back on form, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
Its like theyd never been away for so long in my eyes amazing track from the album sets the goal high for the rest of the album cant wait to download it going there now

5.0 out of 5 stars back to the old days, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
superb! looking out my tank top and bags the boys are back with all that's good about omd in a new album

4.0 out of 5 stars good single, 7 April 2014
B. J. Morris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metroland (MP3 Download)
You get 6 mixes of the single.all are pretty good .the b side is not too bad and is fitted in nicely to break it up. Metroland is a good track on its own

5.0 out of 5 stars OMD-Metroland, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Metroland [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Probably the stand out track on the new album. Classic OMD with their old familiar sound and a bit more added to it. Well worth guaranteeing to other OMD fans old and newI

Metroland