4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read But...
Published 7 months ago by Wes Fazzani

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
Some good things here: a gripping start, the author is great at writing action sequences and setting the story in a near but dystopian future allows him to show us some thought-provoking ideas. There are little bits of authentic police detail too.
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read But..., 24 Aug. 2014
Wes Fazzani "Wes" (S. London. England. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
I'd never heard of the author, but nowadays thanks to the kindle that in itself is nothing new. However given that the book was free and had a couple of decent reviews I figured it worth a punt. I dislike wasting money or time, and though money was not an issue here, my time was. As it turns out I needn't have worried. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute I spent reading this and the only reason I have deducted a star is because the end, don't worry no spoilers here, left me scratching my head a little. But that's ok. I still enjoyed the book. The geography was excellent and as an ex courier I knew the locations well, the characters were well drawn and the plot was good. The so called dystopian future left a little to be desired and aside from one or two hints could have been better explored but overall definitely a four star read. I have downloaded other stuff by Mr Larrick (a pseudonym for a "mysterious" ex British cop) and look forward to reading those.
If you're on the fence about investing your time (it's still free at the time of this review) don't be... Give it a go it's definitely worth it.
Wezza
London, England

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
Less good: the characters are all stock. And probably most disappointingly he just doesn't seem to know where this story is going. If in doubt, write another fight scene, another car chase. In the end this reader lost interest. I like action but it has to contribute to the plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different.... but ok, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
After reading Devil's Chimney (which is a brilliant book) I wanted to read more of Tin Larrick's work. Lone Shark is quite different & set in a dystopian setting. For the first 25% of the book I was unconvinced, but then the story picked up & I was engrossed. But when it came to the ending I was left wondering what the heck happened.... It was like one of those movis that ends with a "eh??!!" I am definitely going to read it again as I fear I may have skim read some of the beginning before it gripped me, I'm hoping I've missed something & it'll make sense. Has not put me off this author's work as I enjoyed Devil's Chimney so much, so am going to purchase Manakau Bluebirds & hope it's more my thing :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dystopian thriller with an inventive plot, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
Lone Shark is my third Tin Larrick novel, although actually the second he wrote. Each, so far, is a stand alone story so I'm not messing up any story arcs for once!
By far the blokiest of the trio, elements of Lone Shark felt like a Guy Ritchie film and there is a fair bit of killing for no other reason than that's what this type of person would do. The plot is interesting and generally keeps up a fast place but I found the characters, other than our anti-hero, Jackson Towne, much more two-dimensional than in, say, Manukau Bluebirds. Larrick's descriptions of place and scene setting are excellent so it was easy to imagine his dystopian London and the furniture shop 'hotel' is a nice touch. Poor Newhaven doesn't fare too well!
I found it difficult to actually place the novel in real time as, although the synopsis states 2017, several of the text references seemed to throw us way past that while some tv namedropping particularly is oddly dated. This was distracting but not enough to ruin the atmosphere, just an occasional pull-up.
As a solid genre thriller, Lone Shark easily holds it own with best-selling authors and is more inventive than many of these. Larrick's real life police experience is well used to enhance without being overdone to make this book an entertaining escapist read

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice twists!, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
Just read Lone Shark. Loved it. Easy reading but with a good story line. Don't want to be a spoiler so will say no more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lone Shark it's a belter, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
I was eagerly awaiting the second novel from this newly discovered writer having so enjoyed his debut "Devils Chimney " .
This is a great read , I loved the pace and imagery of this story set in the not too distant 2017, it's scary and unfortunately with current events it's a bit too believable.
It sucks you in quickly and moves with speed - -I visualised the characters straight away and the novel has stayed with me -it's feel as if I've already seen the movie Lone Shark in my head .
Give it a try if you like police/crime/ corruption you'll love this . Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I did enjoy this book and will buy more from this author, 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
I really need to start reviewing books soon after I finish them because I read a lot and remember very little. I did enjoy this book and will buy more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lone shark tin larrick, 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
My first tin larrick book really enjoyed the whole book great storyline interesting characters Will definitely try more from this author.kev dilks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
This book held me from beginning to end. A really thoughtful plot but a little disappointed how it ended suddenly

4.0 out of 5 stars You won't want to stop reading!, 28 Aug. 2014
evelyn leech (mansfield, notts, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Shark (Kindle Edition)
Exciting stuff! Already recommended to friends. Went straight to his next book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›