4.0 out of 5 stars Best read with a little visual imagination

Published on 9 July 2004 by J. E. Fowler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 9 July 2004
J. E. Fowler (New Zealander in Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This book could have been wonderful, unfortunately it's not! The layout of the book is unfriendly, specific countries do not have page numbers meaning to find eg Italy you need to flick through all of Western Europe. The entries chosen are mostly appropriate with most big name places mentioned however each is followed with a commercial plug for specific hotels or restaurants in the area leaving you wondering how some more obscure places got their mention. I'd hate to think they had paid or coerced the author but... Many places eg Fiji are mentioned because there is a flash resort on the island, meaning if you cannot afford to pay for a weeks stay at an expensive resort you won't be able to visit the place. Also a lot of the descriptions in the book sound very familiar with other travel books eg Lonely Planet making me wonder how original the text is.
I put my copy in the bin, save your money!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you're a rich yank, 19 Nov 2008
M. Blanche - See all my reviews
200+ pages on the USA, 2 pages on Sri Lanka. Lots of expensive 5 star hotels, resorts and expensive paradises that are fine if you're an ageing, moneyed American but do not even begin to scratch the surface of the country you are in.

If you are rolling in dollars and travel first class from Four Seasons to Four Seasons, buy this book. Otherwise there are a hundred other books out there that are better to inspire you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not hit the spot, 2 Feb 2006
I received this book for my birthday as all my friends know that I live for travel. However this book did not inspire me, as I found it catered towards the older, more moneyed readers rather than those who don't have the income for 5 star accomodation. As the majority of places listed are hotels rather than the actual places that they are based, you don't get a feel for the places she visits, which is not what travelling is about. The layout and the lack of photos made it old-fashioned, which i did not expect from the title of the book.
You are better off with the BBC places to visit before you die, as it has the photos to whet your appetite for future holidays.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very materialistic...for the rich & somewhat conventional traveller, 20 Aug 2007
I was really dissappointed with this book. There are over 1000 amazing natural places to see on this planet...I cant quite understand how half of this book is filled up with "prestigious" hotels. Thats certainly not what I think visiting other places is about! Definitely for the traveller with oodles of money & for somebody who isnt too worried about getting off the beaten track. Uninspiring & pretty poorly researched in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars 1000 places to see before you die, most of which are in the US, 15 Aug 2008
Like some of the other reviewers, I was disappointed that there was so much of the book devoted to the US at the expense of some truly magical places in the world.

I agree that the photography is quite old fashioned (but that's not what the book is about) and I was disappointed by the heavy bias towards fancy hotels - if you're in a fancy hotel - you could quite possibly be anywhere in the world so there's little point in travelling there! The fancy hotels that have a bit of history / literary connections are quite interesting and if I'm ever in the vicinity she might have convinced me to pop in for a (cheap!) beer.

Having said that, I did love that she picked up on some really random must do's (e.g. Newark Antique Fair, Nottinghamshire!!!) that I've never seen anywhere else. Sometimes when you're heading to foreign climes, there are so many must do's that it's difficult to a) choose or b) fit them all in. I use this book just to give me some ideas - if she suggests that I ought to see a fancy hotel in say, Thailand, before I die, I tend to ignore her, but she does come up with some "gems" (to quote a previous reviewer) which are often worth visiting.

As for the indexing... I didn't find it at all offputting, it's divided into continents - but to be honest it's the sort of book that you don't mind getting side-tracked by.

To be used as a different viewpoint when undertaking some lonely-planet-esque travel research rather than as a resource on it's own, or if you're doing the Grand Tour - a good place to find all the 5* hotels (I guess) and therefore how to avoid experiencing the "real" must sees (miaow - sorry couldn't resist).

Buy or not buy... hmm overall I think I would say buy - but caveat emptor... read all the negative points first before you buy so that you know what you're getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best read with a little visual imagination, 14 Jan 2006
Ryan Li "Photographer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a photographer, the lack of photography in this book does reduce its usefulness for me as a source of inspiration for travel ideas, although the sheer volume of the book probably makes it more suitable for flicking through on a rainy day anyway. The author is obviously well-travelled, and the breadth of coverage in the book is impressive, if possibly a little over-Americanised. It is fair to say that the author has done an admirable job of collating and presenting such a vast amount of information in a relatively easy-to-follow manner.
The text generally passes my informal 'wanderlust test', of giving me just the right level of information to give me some idea of the location, and enough to inspire me to find out more about it for myself, although again pictorial information alongside would tell a much more useful story, especially when Schultz describes locations such as hotels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Title, 25 July 2004
Darren Henman (England) - See all my reviews
This book sounds so great and it is for a short while, but its only after a while when you get into it and try to find things that you think should be in there that are missing. The reason for this is that its so westernised in its listing that it falls short on some wonderful places from Asia and others.
Does the british isles really deserve 87 pages, the USA a total of 236 pages, while places such as Egypt (9 pages), Sri Lanka (2 Pages) and india (13 pages), all recieve such little coverage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book to rely on, but suitable for light browsing, 17 Aug 2009
This book is engaging in as much as it seduces you with descriptions of places you have never been to but would like to visit. However, it falls down on detail, on its tendency to mention (or plug) the most luxurious accomodation, on its very Americanised style and perspective and - as other reviewers have mentioned - on its ludicrous shortcomings in coverage of parts of the world east of Europe and where English is not the primary language.

Fun to have this book in the loo for guests to read, but this is not a serious explorers volume.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1001 Places for the filthy Rich!, 8 May 2009
I am a very experienced traveller who has lived overseas for decades. This book would be great for a recently unemployed CEO who has much more money than sense. The book covers all the well known spots around the world but totally ignores many other fine and beautiful places located nearby. The Hotels and resorts listed are all at the top of the price lists- no surprise here since Ms. Schulz writes for Conde' Nast Traveler, Departures, etc. Above the title of the book reads: On and Off the Beaten Path. I doubt if Ms. Schulz has ever been off the beaten path and certainly budget travelers and backpackers should save their money and find a more useful guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but better than Prozac, 16 Aug 2004
D. BROWN "MotherFunk" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Yes, I felt compelled to write this having read many a dismal, derogatory review of the book, and yes many of the below comments are justified. The author does concentrate too much on the US and Western Europe and yes, the hotels are plugged in such a way that you begin to think that she perhaps enjoyed just a few too many complimentary nights and breakfasts for her travails, but I'll make no bones about it. Buy this book and I will guarantee you will pick it up, and put it down...and pick it up again many, many times over. It's that kind of book. A literary travel brochure detailing nearly every destination imaginable. From New York's mighty skyscrapers, to viewing the cherry blossom in Japan, to skiing in Chamonix, to the Old Quarter of Hanoi. This is a book designed not to direct and dictate, but to fuel the imagination. Have a browse, sketch your next trip, tick off those you have already experienced. Take a chance and buy it. Trust me, even if you are indifferent, leave it on your coffee table for a couple of weeks and your guests will never lack conversation. And...even if you don't buy it, you have to admire the author's choice of quote for her opening page.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away."
I'm planning such a life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›