1,207 Reviews

Published 14 months ago by Wendy Fisher

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 12 months ago by F. McLauchlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome first book, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Paperback)
I bought this book after being directed to the reviews. It is the author's first book and I hope that his future novels maintain this standard. I was hooked from the first few pages - the characters are developed as the story moves along at a fast pace, with the number of victims steadily rising. A great, enjoyable read that will have you absorbed from beginning to end. I can't wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nameless - a riveting debut, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
Following other reviews, thought I'd try `Nameless,' the debut novel from new author Joe Conlan.
It's a gripping read that keeps you page turning right from start to finish. He cleverly draws you into this thriller, back-grounding the main characters and even extracts sympathy from you when you learn of the villain's upbringing. That doesn't last, as the young Shem turns into a nasty, violent and perverse serial killer. Against this, you have FBI agent Daniel Falcone. He too has had childhood problems, but he chose a different side of the law. However, through a mind-tormenting indiscretion, he is drawn into Shem's twisted world. The story follows paths you don't expect, and the lead up to the conclusion is gruesome but riveting.
It's a must read book, and highly recommended. The only disappointment is the wait you have for the follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Novel from Joe Conlan, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
This book had a very attractive and atmospheric cover graphic which suited the genre. The books' layout and structure were professional, demonstrating good use of language with clear dialogue between the characters.
As to the content of the book itself, I was really impressed with the exciting and detailed plot, which displayed real creativity.
Unlike many books in this genre, this was a credible read, with true to life characters. The author gave the impression that he had thoroughly researched into the psyche of his serial killer.
Albeit there was a certain naivete displayed in character plotting, in regard to a black and white approach to right and wrong with no clear resolution. ...no doubt clear scope for a follow-up book here!
However,
ultimately definitely a book I would recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 July 2013
F. McLauchlan (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge crime/thriller fan and bought this (very cheap) offering having read all the glowing reviews. The brevity and poor grammar/spelling of many of the top reviews should have made me suspicious. I am sorry to say that I just couldn't get into the book at all and I persevered for a few days. I found the endless details and back stories really slowed down the plot and I struggled to care about the hero and heroine. The bad guy's ability to be good at everything, despite the most awful childhood, just stretched my disbelief beyond anything I could accept. I accept some descriptions of violence to be a necessary part of this genre, but I felt that there was too much here - and it wasn't relevant or necessary to be so detailed (and boring. Halfway through, I ground to a halt, and went back to the reviews to see if I had missed anything. One of the reviews revealed a massive plot point. I am ashamed to say I was relieved....at last, an excuse to stop reading this awful book. Many people seemed to have enjoyed it and that is fine, but it just wasn't for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just dire, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how this book has received as many 4 and 5 star reviews as it had - does the author have a marketing trick? It has no redeeming features. It is badly written: bad/clunky dialog (countless examples but to give just one, how many FBI Special Agents in Charge would refer to themselves as Special Agent in Charge when talking to another FBI agent, rather than just SAC? None), bad characterisation, implausible characters (of course I'm prepared to overlook a high degree of implausibility, that goes with the territory of thriller writing, but the villain in this one had just such implausible skills given his upbringing that it didn't work for me) and bad/unbelievable plot. Time and time again it was just too implausible. One key section relies on the bad guy staying on a cruise ship for a week and then hacking in to the cruise ship's database and deleting his record. There is then no record to be found. Given the investigation is taking place at the end of that week, don't you think there'd be at least 20 hard copy printouts of passenger manifests on the ship, to say nothing of in the port records etc? I could go on and on pointing out the errors in this but that would get repetitive, rather like the constant and gratuitous descriptions of violence throughout the book.

In short, it reads like a very extended, rather disturbed essay written by a not very talented teenager

I love thrillers - from Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver to name just a few - and I read a lot of them (probably 50 a year - I travel a lot and read on planes to distract myself) so I have to look outside the big names. I won't be reading any more of this guy. I only finished the book because I hate to leave a book unfinished and I was on a 13 hour flight with nothing else left to read. It still wasn't worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently frustrating, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be an excellent read. There was twists and turns unexpected plots that really gets you wanting to read more. I honestly couldn't put it down. A part of the book I wanted to stop reading as I knew what was going to happen and I didn't want it to, it made me so angry at the character (not the writer) for being so stupid and letting down his guard. The serial killer is totally deranged and some parts was totally skin crawling and chilling to read. It will definitely make me think twice about talking to strangers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome, but couldn't put it down !, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
Can't actually remember why I downloaded this onto my Kindle, but once I started reading it I genuinely found it hard to stop ! I think that it could have used a little editing, because some parts seemed to go on just a little bit too much, but I found it to be an engrossing read and a well put-together story. It was fairly gruesome, and much of it was rather unpleasant for the faint-hearted, but I'll certainly read Joe Conlan again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
An awful novel, with a totally unbelievable premise of a boy developing into an inhuman character with highly-developed IT skills even though he lived in isolation for his formative years, with no education, and he didn't exist as far as society was concerned (and yet he still managed to enrol himself in night school!). I didn't enjoy it and only finished it because I hate leaving a book halfway through.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
This is an example of a writer showing off his so called knowledge and boring us with unnecessary detail.
It was a joyless, purposeless read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story - characters spoilt it, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
On balance I enjoyed this book, but I did have to ignore the terrible bad guy character back story (skills / wealth / childhood / psychology / physical attributes).

The story had good pace and became a page turner as it built to the climax.

This said I find it hard to recommend due to the graphic descriptions of the some of the most depraved scenes I've ever read (maybe I've just chosen more mainstream authors before?) and the unbelievable bad guy.

Nameless