1,295 Reviews

Published 23 months ago by Wendy Fisher

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful
Published 17 months ago by Valleysgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome first book, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Paperback)
I bought this book after being directed to the reviews. It is the author's first book and I hope that his future novels maintain this standard. I was hooked from the first few pages - the characters are developed as the story moves along at a fast pace, with the number of victims steadily rising. A great, enjoyable read that will have you absorbed from beginning to end. I can't wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nameless - a riveting debut, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
Following other reviews, thought I'd try `Nameless,' the debut novel from new author Joe Conlan.
It's a gripping read that keeps you page turning right from start to finish. He cleverly draws you into this thriller, back-grounding the main characters and even extracts sympathy from you when you learn of the villain's upbringing. That doesn't last, as the young Shem turns into a nasty, violent and perverse serial killer. Against this, you have FBI agent Daniel Falcone. He too has had childhood problems, but he chose a different side of the law. However, through a mind-tormenting indiscretion, he is drawn into Shem's twisted world. The story follows paths you don't expect, and the lead up to the conclusion is gruesome but riveting.
It's a must read book, and highly recommended. The only disappointment is the wait you have for the follow up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
An awful novel, with a totally unbelievable premise of a boy developing into an inhuman character with highly-developed IT skills even though he lived in isolation for his formative years, with no education, and he didn't exist as far as society was concerned (and yet he still managed to enrol himself in night school!). I didn't enjoy it and only finished it because I hate leaving a book halfway through.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 July 2013
F. McLauchlan (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge crime/thriller fan and bought this (very cheap) offering having read all the glowing reviews. The brevity and poor grammar/spelling of many of the top reviews should have made me suspicious. I am sorry to say that I just couldn't get into the book at all and I persevered for a few days. I found the endless details and back stories really slowed down the plot and I struggled to care about the hero and heroine. The bad guy's ability to be good at everything, despite the most awful childhood, just stretched my disbelief beyond anything I could accept. I accept some descriptions of violence to be a necessary part of this genre, but I felt that there was too much here - and it wasn't relevant or necessary to be so detailed (and boring. Halfway through, I ground to a halt, and went back to the reviews to see if I had missed anything. One of the reviews revealed a massive plot point. I am ashamed to say I was relieved....at last, an excuse to stop reading this awful book. Many people seemed to have enjoyed it and that is fine, but it just wasn't for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome, but couldn't put it down !, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
Can't actually remember why I downloaded this onto my Kindle, but once I started reading it I genuinely found it hard to stop ! I think that it could have used a little editing, because some parts seemed to go on just a little bit too much, but I found it to be an engrossing read and a well put-together story. It was fairly gruesome, and much of it was rather unpleasant for the faint-hearted, but I'll certainly read Joe Conlan again.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Novel from Joe Conlan, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
This book had a very attractive and atmospheric cover graphic which suited the genre. The books' layout and structure were professional, demonstrating good use of language with clear dialogue between the characters.
As to the content of the book itself, I was really impressed with the exciting and detailed plot, which displayed real creativity.
Unlike many books in this genre, this was a credible read, with true to life characters. The author gave the impression that he had thoroughly researched into the psyche of his serial killer.
Albeit there was a certain naivete displayed in character plotting, in regard to a black and white approach to right and wrong with no clear resolution. ...no doubt clear scope for a follow-up book here!
However,
ultimately definitely a book I would recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just dire, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how this book has received as many 4 and 5 star reviews as it had - does the author have a marketing trick? It has no redeeming features. It is badly written: bad/clunky dialog (countless examples but to give just one, how many FBI Special Agents in Charge would refer to themselves as Special Agent in Charge when talking to another FBI agent, rather than just SAC? None), bad characterisation, implausible characters (of course I'm prepared to overlook a high degree of implausibility, that goes with the territory of thriller writing, but the villain in this one had just such implausible skills given his upbringing that it didn't work for me) and bad/unbelievable plot. Time and time again it was just too implausible. One key section relies on the bad guy staying on a cruise ship for a week and then hacking in to the cruise ship's database and deleting his record. There is then no record to be found. Given the investigation is taking place at the end of that week, don't you think there'd be at least 20 hard copy printouts of passenger manifests on the ship, to say nothing of in the port records etc? I could go on and on pointing out the errors in this but that would get repetitive, rather like the constant and gratuitous descriptions of violence throughout the book.

In short, it reads like a very extended, rather disturbed essay written by a not very talented teenager

I love thrillers - from Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver to name just a few - and I read a lot of them (probably 50 a year - I travel a lot and read on planes to distract myself) so I have to look outside the big names. I won't be reading any more of this guy. I only finished the book because I hate to leave a book unfinished and I was on a 13 hour flight with nothing else left to read. It still wasn't worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value book ever, 7 Mar. 2015
Nameless
I bought this book for 37p on 25/01/2014 and have to say it was one of the best books I have ever read. I have read 100s of books since my first: Famous 5: books in my school days. I have read so many books that I have had to create a books list of books read and when. Some, but not many of these books go into a read again list, or go into my top ten list. This book was a do not put down, as I wanted to know, will he get away with it, and it was so, that was close, that I had to force myself to go to sleep at times. I then created a new READ AGAIN within a year or so list and this book went straight to the top of that list. As it’s now been just over a year since I last read it I am going to re-down-load it ready for my holidays in July. I can honestly say it was the best 37p I ever spent and I would certainly add 3-4 pounds signs in front of that price and still think it was value for money. If this author brings out any further books I will certainly purchase them. I suspect there may be a follow up book because….
John

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
They need to create a new category - zero stars. I hate to give this book even one star. It was dreadful and yes I did complete it. In the end I had to skim over pages and pages of dribble just to find out if there was anything relevant to the inane story line. I have to agree with a lot of the reviewers here about the cretinous writing style, the one dimensional characters, gratuitious violence and sex and the enormous gaping holes in the logic of the story. An abysmal book. I will never start a new book by this author.
Just for my sanity's sake I need to emote - how does this rediculous man think a human, no matter how incredibly well endowed with "intelligence" could ever reach his full potential given the incredibly poor start nutritionally,intellectually,and emotionally. He was born to a junkie in the back of a dirty van. He would have been born addicted with drug induced brain damage.The baby was never fed, he didn't get enough calcium to achieve anything like his optimum height, the boy was never taught, not even English!, the child was never touched except with violence. How on earth could anyone imagine this person could grow to be 6'2", healthy and vital with the ability to do advanced engineering, advanced computing, understand the financial world enough to manipulate it to te point he achieves financial independence, advanced weaponry, and so on?Gag me with a spoon, it is so rediculous
Then there is the gratuitous sexual violence - any woman who is raped so viciously and continually with cuts that, let's face it, would fester and debilitate any normal person, doesn't just spring up and get on with being happy housewife. They wouldn't be able to. Being raped is not something that happens and then it is over ... next ! It is a serious attack on a person. The hours of rape this author describes just isn't physically possible. Sorry to dent men's egos but going in out, in out brings a man to a climax a little shorter than hours. There would be no lubrication. She would be torn to hell and incapable of sitting down from the anal rape and walking generally. This must have been written by one incredibly misogynistic childish little boy.
Enough emoting . Rediculous story

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed thriller, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Paperback)
Sometimes a child is born unloved, neglected, uncared for and suffering from physical, sexual and emotional abuse which sets them off on a dark and chilling journey of obsession, death and destruction. So we have NAMELESS, Joe Conlan's skillfully woven thrilling plot , which follows Daniel Falcone, a guilt ridden FBI Agent , who must pit his wits against a dark, evil, psychotic killer ...
NAMELESS is a pulse raising, fast paced, action packed thriller full of suspense, tension, gripping characters and an adrenaline fuelled rush that lasts from the first to the last page. This thriller has it all. Hunter and hunted, pursuit and flight, love, obsession, good and evil and the ability to keep you on the edge of your seat through the whole, exhausting roller coaster of a ride to a nail biting climax.
It is amazing to think that this is Joe Conlan's debut as an author. An absolutely brilliant first novel and I for one can't wait for the next one. NAMELESS comes highly recommended.

Nameless