5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable
Published 13 months ago by A. Ostacchini

3.0 out of 5 stars She's pretty good on her own
Came across Aoife by accident from an Emily Smith album I think.

She's pretty good on her own.
I didn't realise she was American.
Published 4 months ago by Simoxyz99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 25 Oct 2013
A. Ostacchini "A O" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of Aoife O'Donovan until I saw her on Transatlantic Sessions. She sang a song called ' Bright Sunny South ' which, backed by the excellent musicians on the show, I thought was fantastic.I decided to find out more about her and discovered she had released this album. I was slightly disappointed to find that Bright Sunny South wasn't on the album but bought it anyway. In my opinion Fossils is a very good album and is still growing on me. It is a good mixture of slightly upbeat and slower, more melodic tracks with good use of the electric guitar. I really like Aoife's voice. If you like artists such as Mary Chapin Carpenter, Sarah McLachlan and Shawn Colvin, give this a try. Whether you put it on when you have friends round or when you're sitting alone with a nice malt you won't be disappointed with this. ( By the way, I've kept the recording of Transatlantic Sessions with Bright Sunny South so I can watch her " live " ).

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but..., 14 Jun 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fossils (MP3 Download)
This is a very well-crafted album of good songs, well sung and with skilful production. The effect is lovely and it makes a pleasing listen. It is somewhere in the alt-country/Americana genre with a nice variety of songs which are tuneful, often pleasantly infectious and lyrically pretty good. Aoife O'Donovan has a very nice voice which reminds me rather of Ruth Moody's (a very good thing!) and in the songs and arrangements I caught elements of Edie Brickell, Joni Mitchell and even Joan Armatrading in places. With echoes of musical giants like these I ought to have loved the album. I do like it, but something at its heart just doesn't quite do it for me.

I have tried to put my finger on the precise problem and have failed, but it is something to do with a slight slickness which, for me anyway, just takes the edge off real sincerity here. The production is in many ways perfect - the lovely vocal harmonies, the tastefully placed and mixed lead guitar, the impeccably restrained and yearning pedal steel and so on - but I just feel at times as though a very glossy product is being marketed rather than sincere music being played, and a sense of having heard this track before even though I hadn't.

It may be unfair even to mention this because it is such an elusive and personal feeling, and I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone off the album. Aoife O'Donovan is a rightly respected artist through her work with Crooked Still among others, and Alison Krauss recorded her song Lay My Burden Down (the opening track on this album) on Paper Airplane so she's plainly well respected as a songwriter, too. It's just...you know how sometimes an album doesn't quite reach you as it should, somehow?

No-one with an interest in this genre could possibly dislike the album and many people will love it - and fair enough. I'd suggest that you try it; you certainly won't hate it and may well not share my reservation and love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely voice, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
Aoife is the lead singer in some of Crooked Still's songs and I heard her on Bob Harris' show recently. There are some great tracks on here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
Spotted Aoife on a BBC 4 Trans atlantic Sessions programme. Highly recommended album from this wonderful singer. Lush vocals throughout.

4.0 out of 5 stars good album, 9 Dec 2013
DM Gilliver (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fossils [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Lovely irish lilt to her voice. Good songs/lyrics. Played it often with friends. None have said turn it off. Sorted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
Excellent service, hubby loves this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect voice, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fossils (MP3 Download)
An americana\alt-country album with strong melodies and lyrics and amazing lead vocals. There's plenty of pedal steel in here but also distorted strings and electronic background noise - think Little Willies style Norah Jones meets Nigel Godrich and you won't be far wrong. This being the case I ought to love it, but I don't, something about it just doesn't quite hang together for me and I can't figure out what. I think it's a very good album and just a whisker away from being a great one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 17 April 2014
P. Orr "Philip Orr" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fossils (MP3 Download)
Bought this album having seen the singer perform on Transatlantic Sessions. Then found I already have an album by Crooked Still which features Aoife on vocals! On first listen there are some good songs which are very well performed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new find, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
Introduced to this lady's music by Mary Chapin Carpenter and I absolutely love it. Do yourself a favour and give it a listen

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fossils (Audio CD)
it was bought as a present for my son and his wife, they like, but this old fossil hasn't read it!

Fossils
Fossils by Aoife O'Donovan (Audio CD - 2013)