5.0 out of 5 stars The sound of champagne on ice at 30,000 feet
Published on 9 April 2013 by matt carmichael

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
why did i buy this?
i wonder if i can get some other sucker to buy it off me?
Published 8 months ago by harvey duplicate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound of champagne on ice at 30,000 feet, 9 April 2013
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
Think the rich harmonies of Fleet Foxes, the intricate melodic architecture of Elbow, the rhythmic drive of James' Laid, and the lyrical dexterity of Bon Iver. Or, since this already feels like a classic, Simon and Garfunkel meets The Byrds and Harvest-era Neil Young. The generation you hear in its influences really doesn't matter, but the album surely does. Fossil Collective is a band with serious musical ambitions and their debut LP achieves the small miracle of pulling an authentic, nearly lo-fi, rabbit from a meticulously recorded hat. Only musicians of rare talent and soul can achieve this feat, which is borne out by the fact that multiple vocal harmonies, subtle dynamics and instrumental perfectionism are also the core of the band's live sound.

This album's motif is the element of air. Skies, stars, kites and birds adorn the lyrics, and the soundscape conveys the sense of an aerial view. Perhaps that's why Tell Where I Lie satisfies and intrigues enough on first listen to warrant further attention, like being struck by the beauty of a new country from the air so wanting to land and explore it. Landing here does not disappoint; it grows and grows with every subsequent outing until you find yourself humming the horns from Brother or the strings from Monument without even knowing what they are.

Let It Go, On and On and When Frank Became an Orb have previously been released on singles and EP, and they form the album's band-defining spine. But the new material is a joy. Under My Arrest sounds like late spring rain falling on your face after a hosepipe ban, Dave Fendick's angelic lead vocals wondering "Am I just a falling star?". Boy with Blackbird Kite struggles upwards like its subject and ends soaring in clear skies. Wolves pulsates with the bitch-in-heat of a sweaty summer night. British Sea Power would be proud of the shimmering Brother, which explores the theme of reconciliation and includes a line which could be the album's long-haul motto: "Now it's time to forget about time". Monument and The Magpie are the most ambitious tracks, and neither misses a beat. Each creates a cathedral-sized instrumental space which is amply filled with the sonic equivalent of watching the sun set over the Himalayas from 30,000 feet. The Magpie put me in mind of The Indigo Girls meeting recent Radiohead; and the 2:44 minute guitar-and-vocal How Was I to Know testifies to the pure songwriting nous that underscores every track, ending the album on a wintry note and hinting at another reason why the whole effect feels timeless: the album is structured, consciously or not, like a flight through the seasons of a year.

Only time will tell whether this album gets the attention it richly deserves, but it could be the soundtrack to your 2013. It will be mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quality Continues, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Tell Where I Lie (MP3 Download)
With a wonderful mix of Fleet Foxes and Turin Brakes at their best, this album delivers on all fronts. After listening to their two previous EP's and the free download from their website, the first full length album was eagerly awaited.It delivers with a wonderful flowing musicality, making it easy on the ear whatever the mood and wherever you are?

This two piece from Leeds will hopefully gain more fans from their current tour and I for one look forward to seeing them in Bristol. The challenge is to reproduce the mood in a live setting and to keep coming up with outstanding tracks such as Let It Go, which will make the band more commercial and gain increased levels of air play. As an album, the tracks all play their part to make the mood work and long may it continue.

Buy the album, put on your headphones and just listen. Trust me, there are far worse things to do in this life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tell Where I Lie (MP3 Download)
Wow! I just downloaded this album on the strength of other reviews and it was recommended along with the Barr Brothers. This is a fabulous album, one of the best I've heard in a long time. Everything about it is good, all songs are very strong, no fillers. The vocals and harmonies are stunning and instrumentals are varied and outstanding. This is a must buy album and usually I'm hard to please. I've only played it once and had to write the review immediately. Well done Fossil Collective, a fantastic album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 16 Dec. 2013
Mr. M. Brenson "Marky B" (Southsea, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
I saw this band live in Portsmouth a few weeks ago having never heard of them before and I fell in love with them instantly.
Absolutely amazing live and they seem like very nice, modest and humble chaps.
Highlights for me are 'Let it Go', 'Under My Arrest', 'On and On' and 'When Frank Became an Orb' but the whole album is stunning. I really hope they get the recognition they so richly deserve in 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful., 22 Dec. 2013
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to catch these at a festival (End of the Road) earlier this year and was not expecting too much and yet was blown away. They all play beautiful music so effortlessly that it seems almost too easy. They harmonise brilliantly with falsetto ranges that blend perfectly with the tunes. The album is a collection of songs that seem to flow into one another but all retaining enough individuality to be able to stand alone.

I particularly am enthralled with opener `Let it go' but also `boy with blackbird kite' and `under my arrest' are all sublime with soaring vocals and musical accompaniment that is based around strings of one form or another. `When Frank became an orb' was also a previous single and oozes quality. They have been compared to both `Fleet Foxes' and `Turin Brakes', which is very fair but I actually think these guys are better - there seems to be more meat to their music and certainly so in the live performances that I have been privileged to see. I have been listening to this for a number of months and it is still growing on me which is no mean feat. I can absolutely recommend and can't wait for a new offering from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect autumn listening, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
It's all been said already here, the soaring reverb soaked harmonies, beautiful melodies, fleet foxes inspired. But there's also a good dose of Midlake in there too, which seems to lend itself perfectly to this time of year, melancholy, reflective....(maybe Turin Brakes too, but don't let that put you off!) It's just what you need in September in England as you think back to the now fading summer. I stumbled on them at End of the Road festival a couple of weeks ago, and had a perfect half hour lying on the grass, couple of pints of proper beer and a few clouds floating across a blue sky. I've listened to this album a few times since, and it keeps getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut, 19 May 2013
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
Love this album , even better live. The harmonies, vocals beautiful, original and chilled listening but enough to keep you listening,very cleverly done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with Beck's Morning Phase, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Probably the most beautiful record I have heard in years. The record arrived signed from the guys also, so as you can imagine I'm very happy. For fans of Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Barr Brothers , Thirteen Senses and all that other dreamy folk infused melodic stuff. Great record. If you even considering buy it just do it. You won't regret it. Also on beautiful cherry red vinyl with a stunning gatefold sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow just wow, 9 April 2013
Sam The Man (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
Discovered this under recommendations. Can not go wrong. A relaxing soothing album with real talent! I hope these boys go a far. Must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow .. This album is brilliant!!!!, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tell Where I Lie (MP3 Download)
I thought this was the best album I downloaded over the past year. Its tunes are high quality easy listening melodies that i never get bored of ... what a find!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›