4.0 out of 5 stars too short
I really enjoyed this but once again the campaigns far too short. I understand loads of people want more online but tat shouldn't stop a long campaign . Games are made for online now and I'm sick of getting half a single player game and that's why it's 4star.
Published 5 months ago by heggy1888

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to like it so much more!
Before I begin I want to let you know that I love Battlefield, and have done since Battlefield 2 on PS2. Bad company 2 was a particular highlight for the series and showcased what could be done with current gen consoles. I would also like to point out that my rating is only really based on the multiplayer (as that's what Battlefield is all about right?).

So why...
Published 13 months ago by James

4.0 out of 5 stars too short, 19 Sept. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to like it so much more!, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)

So why only 3 stars? Firstly, it's now over 3 months from the game's release and bugs are still very visible. For example there is always a good minute at the start of each game where I have no audio, hardly game-breaking I know, but still an annoyance and unacceptable really for publishers with the budget of EA. Another, much more serious bug, is the intermittent lag that is very frequent in 64 player games, even though I have a rock solid 60mbps fibre connection, which my PS4 is hard-wired in to. It happens even though I only go on games hosted in europe and the best ping. The game isn't broken by any stretch, it's just not what it could be.

This is all the more annoying, as when this game works it's fantastic. When you're in a helicopter gunning people down in a 64 player conquest game, all at a silky smooth 60 fps it is breathtaking. However these moments are all too rare, and the game could be improved so much by ironing out the bugs.

However, the bugs aren't all that is keeping this game from greatness. Some design choices seem to be contradictory to what battlefield is all about - playing with your mates in a squad!! DICE have decided that it used to be far to easy to play with your buddies (all joining a pre-game lobby and then going into a game as a squad on the same team), and have now made it so that you have to go into into a game separately and then use the in-game menu to all join the same squad. Words cannot even describe how stupid and ill-conceived this idea is. Firstly, half the time when you join you get put on the opposite team to your friends - meaning you have to quit and rejoin and endure the lengthy loading screen once more. You then have to repeat this procedure until you finally get on the right team - hoping that the game doesn't fill up before you do.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who loves battlefield, or anyone who likes fps games and has some patience - Battlefield will reward you greatly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game But.., 27 May 2014
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Battlefield 4 is a potentially great game. Online it has huge maps, massive players, tanks, aircraft etc it really does come into its own. Its an FPS which rewards a bit of thought when you are playing as just running and shooting rarely works. The changing terrain is good. However, it still has problems with its servers and matchmaking. Rubberbanding still exists as does not being able to get on a server or joining a match at the end (pointless). This would be ok if this wasn't a problem on previous versions of Battlefield. EA should have sorted this by now. So a 4 star game due to the online experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Multiplayer action, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Multiplayer is absolutely epic, could have a better access level system though. What I mean by this is I bought the game very late and everyone on the multiplayer seem to be incredible players at very high levels... I think it would have made more sense to match me up with other lower level players is all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Buggy, 1 Mar. 2014
JB (Newport, Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Excellent graphics, great gameplay however if you wish to play the Single Player Campaign feature - don't bother unless you can complete in one sitting as it doesn't save your last position and you have to restart from the beginning. This is a known problem and as yet, four months down the line and although aware, EA/DICE have yet to provide a fix. Combine this with the Campaign level crashing at random points and several Multiplayer bugs it's currently, I'm sorry to say, one to avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars A work in progress, 17 Dec. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Battlefield games have always been about the multiplayer. It is by far its most outstanding feature. I have owned this game since release day and I have to admit that I have not played the single player campaign yet. Like many other people out there I found the single player campaign in Battlefield 3 to be extremely linear, scripted and boring. It's actually the first time I have ever felt like I was just playing through a game to see how it ended I did not feel connected to the story or the characters. The experience was just too on rails for my liking it took all of the fun out of it. Anyway this is the main reason why I have not touched the campaign yet in Battlefield 4. Apparently it is much improved but this review is going to be about the multiplayer aspect of this game considering that I have played it for many hours.

First let me start off by saying that this game is a lot of fun to play, it is highly addictive! EA and Dice have combined some of the best aspects from Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 to make this game incredible! It has even more destructibility and the graphics are truly stunning. Battlefield Bad Company 2 used to be my favourite Battlefield game. As good as Battlefield 3 was I found it to be average at best. The console versions anyway. The maps where huge which was great but, the player count was capped to 24 players which made it hard to find people and the destruction had been toned down. Also it was capped to 30FPS which made everything feel a little slow. Battlefield 4 fixes all of these problems which is why I see it as a superior game. The improved 64 player count in conquest mode puts this version of the game on par with the PC version in terms of numbers. The frame rate is also a lot closer to 60FPS.

Infantry fighting on the Operation Locker map is truly epic with 64 players! It makes you feel like you are part of an immense battle, when you have a team of 32 players engaged in a heavy firefight in between corridors against an enemy team of 32 players. Its moments like this which makes this game shine. The Levolution moments also create that same type of drama.

However as good as this game is, it still feels unfinished. This game has many problems and feels like it's still in beta. As of right now EA and Dice have agreed not to work on any new content until all of the bugs have been fixed. I bought this game knowing fully well that it had many issues but I did so after they had released an earlier patch so it is considerably more playable and stable now than it was when it launched.

In my opinion this is still a really great game it's just not fully complete yet. Regardless I bought this game for the multiplayer and for all the fun it would bring me and it has lived up to my expectations. Although its premier mode is conquest, I have enjoyed Obliteration and Rush just as much as well as all of the other game modes. This game is highly addictive and when you really get into it you will find yourself playing for hours.

Despite everything I am only giving this game 3 stars because of the cons below. I will update it when they are fixed. But make no mistake if you are thinking about purchasing this game for the multiplayer go ahead and do so. This game is still incredibly fun to play and I don't think these cons should stop you from buying it.

Cons:

There seems to be a lot of sound related bugs. The game seems to go out of sync sometimes with all game sounds. Like when you start a game and get into a vehicle there is a temporary delay before you hear the engine or a weapon when it is fired. Also on some maps the sound cuts out completely at random before coming back.

Lag is an issue on some maps too. I have a 50MB connection so it's highly likely that it is an EA/Dice server side issue causing it.

Crashing is also a problem. I have had the game crash on me once when a Levolution event was taking place. A few other times the game would crash after an extended period of play. This occurs when you have played multiple matches one after the other for hours not just during one match session. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The vehicle controls need tweaking. I think this applies more for boats and land vehicles. The controls just don't feel as smooth as previous battlefields in my opinion. And sometimes they can glitch and stutter when you are driving, this happens more in land based vehicles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school shooter with plenty of laughs., 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Picked this up second hand from Amazon. Quick delivery and in a1 condition. Never played battlefield as I've generally gone with Cod but really didn't fancy this year's entry. Waited for the patches to fix the bugs and took the plunge.

First impressions are great, the story is as always it's weak point but fun none the less. The online party though is superb. Huge amounts of fun with so much going on, it's like the old days of modern warfare.

In short if you're after a simple uncomplicated but fun online shooter you really should give this a go now with the patches they've done. Bargain at £20!

1.0 out of 5 stars A great game ruined by EA., 2 Jan. 2014
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
Let me begin by simply reviewing the game itself. On the PS4, the graphics are rather decent. However I was slightly dissapointed for a number of reasons. First of all, the game does not run at 1080p but rather at 900p, which means that distant details in game can be slightly jagged (but much less jagged than the Xbox One which runs this game at old-gen 720p). Secondly, there are severe draw distance problems, meaning that many artifacts including foliage and grass only appear when you are within a meter. I was expecting further detail in the distance (ie. being able to spot an enemy sniper at more than 600m) however it is still lacking like BF3 on the 360. I was probably just over-optimistic regarding this game as next-gen, and should realise that the PS4 does cost £350 after all (the price you would pay for just a graphics card capable of the same settings at 60FPS). Having said all of this, most of the time the game does look stunning, although not as good as Killzone.

The multiplayer experience is again very good, sticking to most of the successful formula used for BF3. The current selection of maps offers a good variety of gameplay and some favourites are already emerging ('Operation Locker' offers an experience similar to 'Operation Metro' in BF3 and is fantastic). As of now many of the glitches have now been eradicated and gameplay seems consistently smooth and bug-free. Oddly enough, there is still what I call the electronic vehicle glitch (where there is no motor sound for the first 30 secs of driving/flying anything)which was present in BF3. The selection of guns and equipment is developed upon from BF3 and there is now so much choice you can happily spend hours on the deployment screen. The new 'Commander' feature is rather boring and doesn't enable you to achieve high scores. I would rate the multiplayer experience at 5/5 stars.

Why do I give this game 1 star then? Simply because of the greed and lazyness of EA.

First of all, who releases a DLC alongside a new game?! The China Rising expansion pack is clearly not new as it was ready when the game was released, so why should we have to pay more to download something that is not new and could have been included in the game to begin with?!

Secondly, the campaign. I have now twice spent around 3-4 hours at a time playing the campaign which seems pretty good, although the AI at times can be rather dumb. When I've had enough I quit back to the main menu, and close the game down or turn off the PS4. When I next start the game up, the campaign progress has simply dissapeared and I am only presented with the option to begin a new game. This issue has been heavily present on the 360 and PS3 versions since launch which was over 2 months ago. So far, EA have still not fixed the issue which they have admitted they've known about for weeks now! How hard is it to solve this problem EA?! This issue stops me from wanting to play the campaign as I do not wish to replay 3-4 hours of the campaign. Furthermore, if I look at my stats on Battlelog, it shows my correct campaign progress and mission scores! So what on earth is happening? Frankly this is terrible from EA.

This game would easily obtain 5/5 stars if it were left to an alternative developer. A recent article by IGN has highlighted how EA is the most hated developer in the world and that they are trying 'as hard as they can' to be more liked. Yeah, sure they are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 1 Sept. 2014
Brilliant game!
Pros: graphics are bueatifull, frame rate is smooth and steady (also depends on your connection), best fps on ps4 no doubt, huge range of maps especially If you have premium, up to 64 players on one map! Lebolution in the game is amazing.
Cons: net code is still an issue even though it has been majorly improved I get shot when I'm round a corner :(, a few glitches in the game where you die for no reason!
Conclusion: This game is a must have for any ps4 owner in mine opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game. Must Buy for Next Gen, 29 Nov. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
This game is epic! If you have a 1080p TV, you will fall in love with the Graphics. The light, the reflections, the smoothness of game play. This is the best looking PS4 game I have played.

The Multilayer is insanely good. Massive 64 Player on-line battles. Destructible environments.

I have played the PS3 version, it looked plain, un-detailed, this is the opposite. Absolutely stunning!

Must Buy Game! I cannot express this enough.

Battlefield 4 (PS4)
Battlefield 4 (PS4) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 4)