5.0 out of 5 stars Very old-school, in the best possible way
The New Order does to first-person shooters what Escape Plan did to action movies: it simultaneously reminds you of what was so great about the old ones (and what's so lame about most new ones) while transcending their limitations in its own way. That this is done by an entry in the franchise which started the genre just makes it all the better.

New Order does...
Published 5 months ago by Alon Lessel

3.0 out of 5 stars i chose 3 stars only because it is a very ...
i chose 3 stars only because it is a very short story for a just story game only 16 chapters takes around 16hrs and does not show the emotion levels as last of us which was disappointing
Published 6 months ago by kieran

5.0 out of 5 stars Very old-school, in the best possible way, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)

New Order does away with many of the annoying tropes of modern shooters. Health doesn't regenerate all the way up like in other games: it regenerates in blocks of 20, meaning that if your health gets down to 22, it will regenerate up to 40, but if it gets down to 19, it'll regenerate up to 20. It's sort of like how health works in Mass Effect 3, sans the shields. There's also armor, which lessens the damage you take but doesn't absorb it completely.

There's no 5 differently-named weapons that are all machine guns, like in Killzone and Bioshock Infinite. There's one machine gun, along with other standard weapons like a handgun and a sniper rifle. Also: a laser weapon which can obliterate everything on screen when fully charged. Awesome.

Last, but certainly not least, there's no 2-weapon limitation. New Order allows you to carry all the weapons you find throughout the level. But wait, there's more! Not satisfied with merely restoring weapon carrying to what it should be in a shooter (because you know, we want to be SHOOTING things), the developers went one step further, thinking: what's the opposite of a 2-weapon limitation? Why, letting you carry 2 of every weapon! That's right, you can dual-wield any weapon in this game. Wanna run around shooting two handguns, Max Payne style? You got it. Wanna use twin rocket launchers to take down massive robots? Go right ahead. Wanna use two sniper rifles simultaneously? Why the hell not! It's a great mechanism that allows you to balance between accuracy and damage as needed, and it comes in handy in the very fun boss fights, another element of classic shooters that's absent from most modern titles. And to fully underline just how old-school this game is, in very yo-dawg fashion, you actually get to play the first level of the original Wolfenstein 3D, with the controls and character graphics of New Order.

Strangely enough, there's an actual plot to this game, and stranger still, it's pretty damn good. The game takes place in an alternate history where the Nazis won WWII, and main character B.J. Blazkowicz wakes up from a coma in 1960 to find the world dominated by them. While the game never shows any remorse towards the Nazis - as it should be - it does portray Blazkowicz as a somewhat tired man, who is getting sick of the life of fighting and killing. Along the way he meets a woman named Anya, herself an anti-Nazi fighter and a much better female character than a game like this can usually be expected to have. The characters in general are quite solid, and you actually feel something for most of them by the end of the game.

There are faults to this game. The cutscene graphics are decidedly last-gen, despite the game looking great outside of them. And while the plot is good for what it is, it's disappointing that outside of newspaper clippings, one rarely gets a glimpse of life under a Nazi world government. That's the one place where New Order sticks to old shooter conventions when it probably shouldn't have. The game is also on the short side and, despite a choice made in the beginning which alters some things about the game, replay value remains rather low, especially given the lack of multiplayer or co-op campaign. A future sequel with better graphics and more exploration, possibly with Anya as a playable character, could be really great. Add in split-screen co-op and it could be game of that year.

The game's faults are significant, and given the option, I would have given New Order a 4.5 out of 5. However, I can't bring myself to give this game a 4; not in a world where a game like Bioshock Infinite gets 9 or 10 out of 10 from most reviewers, and this game wallows just under 8 out of 10. New Order is a great old-school shooter that deserves to be played by any fan of the genre - although if you're hesitant, maybe a rental is in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid and Fun Game of Slaughter!, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
Before release I had a feeling Wolfenstein was going to be good. The feeling was so strong that I pre-ordered even though Watch Dogs was barely a week away. What I didn’t expect, though, was a 10/10 experience and a game that is now my favourite on the PS4. The gameplay is smooth and fluid, the aiming accurate and the blood-splatter suitably gory and over-the-top. The guns feel heavy and satisfying, and when a Nazi literally explodes leaving nothing but a rifle to remember him by, it leaves you feeling decidedly gleeful. There are plenty of collectables to search for and lots of trophies for the hunters among us. The story is solid, interesting and, at times, thought-provoking and emotional. The cut scenes blend in nicely with gameplay and are graphically outstanding.

The game runs at 1080p and 60FPS. I admit numbers like this don’t do a lot for me. I’ve no idea how the same game would look at 30FPS, for example. What I can say is that on my 47” TV, it looks fabulous. Detailed scenery, realistic skin and environmental textures, no juddering, no popping in and out – just smooth graphics that run with absolute perfection. It’s a beautiful looking game. The sound, also, is damn good. I used headphones so I could slaughter my enemies without disturbing the neighbours. It really is an immersive and intense experience with the sound cranked up and so I apologise to my neighbours for the intermittent screaming and war cries. It seems I may have disturbed them after all.

There is a wide range of difficulty levels that make Wolfenstein incredibly accessible. It means the game is fun, exciting and challenging for all skill levels, from total beginners to hardened First Person Shooter enthusiasts. If you don’t want to get shot in the back and die 20 times per hour every hour, there is a difficulty level for you. No one will ever be alienated by overly-hard gameplay, and those who need it good and hard will most certainly get it.

My only gripe is that Blazkowicz is not a massively agile character when it comes to flying leaps, so on the very rare occasion that you are called to sprint and jump, he often doesn’t make it. It almost feels like his physical bulk and the weight of his many guns is too heavy to carry him over any substantial gaps. Then again, it could just be User Error or User Too Excited Shooting Nazis to perform the jump correctly.

There is no multiplayer to extend the life of the game, but I am thankful for that. I don’t think every game needs a multiplayer option (and some developers need to concentrate on getting the single player campaign right first). It is worth noting, however, that due to a horrific decision you will have to make at the beginning of the game, there are two timelines. I’ve only played one all the way through so I have no idea how much the other timeline differs, but it does mean you have a good excuse for a second play-through.

Wolfenstein is a solid buy. You just can’t go wrong. Gameplay, graphics, sound, story, accessibility – boxes all ticked and money well spent. I had planned to trade this in next month, but I think I’ll hang on to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolfenstein surprised, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
I didnt expect Wolfenstein to be this good. Im finding it really enjoyable game and a lot of fun. It is quite challenging in places which will keep me entertained for a while. A shine game on ps4

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Better Than Expected. Truly Excellent Game. 10/10, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
I like the original versions, but this is something else, this game brings the PS4 to life. It's far better than I was expecting by a massive margin. I has a uncomplicated story line, plenty of action and thrills, and the graphics and gameplay are superb, it's certainly made me use the PS4 today. They have really done an excellent job making this game, okay there's no online play, but the single player is so brilliant I'm happy to sacrifice the online mode.

I cannot praise it high enough, Though early reviews have been very favourable, I'm just surprised it wasn't rated even higher than it was, but I suppose it depends what one likes in a game. I can't believe I almost didn't pre-order this, it's an amazing game which will likely get played more than once.. A SUPERB GAME.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good first person shooter., 23 Jun 2014
JennyD (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
Finally, a game that is all about the single player. For too long now games have focussed on the multi-player 'experience', getting your friends round or arguing with strangers online. Wolfenstein is a good old fashioned first person shooter which is all about the gameplay. You have an arsenal of weaponry at your disposal (which can be upgraded as you progress) as you fight the Nazis (who won WW2 as they had better tech) and their horrible mechanical creations. The storyline is quite far out there and the dialogue swings from trying to be profound to sheer comical. That said there are actually genuinely touching moments. There's impressive levels throughout, in particular the derailed train; highly impressive. My main criticism would be the sound; at one particular point you are being spoken to via a communication system but I couldn't hear what the character was saying, the music was too loud. I turned the music off but it wasn't that much better. The voice sounded muffled and far too quiet. Also, I fail to see the point in sex scenes in computer games, however tame and brief they might be. I realise computer games are coming more like films but really, it doesn't add anything to the game in my view. The 'lovestory' was needless but then most love stories always feel superficial and totally silly anyway. Must say, I appreciated the female characters in the game, proper personalities and interesting stories; pretty cool. Overall this is a decent game, I really cannot say how pleased I am that the emphasis is on the single player experience. I'm so sick of single player campaigns that are basically an afterthought, stuck onto some multi-player game.

Interesting thing: 'Dead Space' had the Plasma Cutter. This game has the LaserKraftwerk. Both are favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shooter., 23 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
Can't say I was expecting a lot, haven't followed the series at all. A lack of next-gen titles (especially on PS4) led me to buying this game.

I can't say I was disappointed. The story is OK, however the gameplay feels great and is so much fun. Great shooter title.

and at £39, Amazon have spoilt us.

5.0 out of 5 stars if your looking for a new game to fill your slot, this is it, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
It takes awhile for it to take ahold of you, pulling you into its world and everything about it, but in the end its one of the best shooters in a long time. I so recommend it, the less anticipated you are, the better. I wasn't expecting much, but the characters, the voice acting, the story from start to finish are highlights to a great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Nazis, Shoot, Laugh and Lead, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
A huge healthy reminder of why we play games. As much as I like your CODs, Battlefields and Killzones - lord knows they do take themselves very seriously. This game? You spend much of your time with a huge grin on your face, laughing at just how ludicrously OTT it is.

I chuckled at the references to WW2 films (I've got Where Eagles Dare and Inglourious Basterds so far...) and the cartoon violence. The physics of the game feel great, the guns feel solid. Constant 'what ifs' give pause for thought.

There's no multplayer. But another favourite game of mine, Tomb Raider, did have MP. And it was shockingly bad. So it's not always
a bad thing. And I think the price of the game
reflects the fact there's no MP.

So treat yourself to a loud, brash highly enjoyable FPS and singlehandedly stop the Nazis jack booting through an alternate 1960. Achtung!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form and single player heaven!, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
This franchise is beloved because it was one of the first in the FPS genre and most people my age will have played the original 'Wolfenstein 3D' and 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' on the PC in an era with the likes of 'Doom 2', 'Quake', and 'Hexen'. Saying I have fond memories would be a gross understatement...I loved these games. They were crushing hard and extreme fun. Most games now pale when compared with the aforementioned with the exception of one aspect - the graphic and resolution. So I was looking forward to 'Wolfenstein: New Order" but was wary as the last installment from 2009 was just so-so. I won't go into the story and game mechanics - better professional reviewers on all the major gaming sites do a far better job to give you all the necessary information. However, I will give you a gamers' perspective and it is this - this game is the best FPS of 2014 so far and I would recommend anyone who like first person shooters. Buy it and help make it a success

What makes it so good? A mixture of old and new gaming styles, great gunplay and a compelling story with lots of drama, memorable characters and, of course, Nazis in a game . If I hadn't needed sleep, I would have played this continuously over the last five days. There is a high replay factor with two timelines to choose from at the end of the first chapter, multiple paths in each chapter, and further difficulty levels to unlock. This is, refreshingly, a single player game only and this does not mean just a 4 or 5 hour campaign we have all become used to because that is what most developers now give us. This is a 15 to 20 hour campaign, double that if you play both timelines and even more if you try other difficulty levels and find all the goodies. Using the perk system and trying different playing styles will give even more play time. Game goodness!

The game looks lovely and the developers, MachineGames, have have done a sterling job with their research into the look of the era over a 14 year span, the weaponry, the enemies and the even little details like the rank pips of the various uniforms in the game. Equal attention has been given to the characters and the various actors who voice them as well as the musical score. Simply put, the work is exemplary.

Don't waste your time reading this or any other review anymore...just get the game and discover all of the fun that awaits yourself!

Update: 1st June 2014

Playing my third go on the 'Uber' setting but without the unlimited ammo and 999 health which are unlocked with the Enigma codes as a fellow gamer (Avatouir) pointed out. Even though some of the surprise has gone the game is still fun now at the highest level (without unlocking even higher difficulties still available) and this in my opinion speaks volumes about the quality of this game when compared with the recent COD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 which I could not be bothered with out the initial play through. I like different genres such as RTS, RPG, Racing and of course Shooters and this game definitely has 'legs' like the games of the past and bodes well for the future if MachineGames and other developers note the aspects that has made this game this good this time round. It has been a breath of fresh air and the best value game so far this year for the sheer amount of fun I have managed to extract from it thus far and it is only single player!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a Good Laugh Killing Nazis, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
The only con here is that some of the textures, close-up, absolutely honk - a bit xbox360 level in fact. Everything else is just amazing - great story, loads of nazis to kill, good humour and some epic set pieces. I'm halfway through and I don't want the thrill ride to end. Would love to see a truly next gen Wolfenstein rather than all this cross gen crap.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) by Bethesda (PlayStation 4)