5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and worth a read
A 4.5 star read that I couldn't put down when I started.

The book gets off to a slow start as the author builds up the characters and you get to know a little about their backgrounds. Stay with the book as the pace gradually picks up and I found myself wanting to know what happens next.

The story starts with the gradual failure of key computer...
Published 6 months ago by Mr Robert Butler

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored now................
I'm half way through this and to be honest I'm starting to get a bit bored. A bunch of people stuck in an apartment block the power is out, there's a mega snow storm, CNN is off air (in fact all TV channels are off air but CNN get numerous mentions) and there's only a couple of radio stations broadcasting. One of the men has water and a generator stashed in a lock-up...
Published 6 months ago by b5historyman

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 18 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A look into our probable future, 25 July 2013
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
As other reviewers noted, this is a great 'What if?' story, but its much more than "if this - then that".

The story centers around a group of people and a series of cyber attacks. What begins as a simple process of people preparing for a possible disaster quickly escalates into survivalism. Not everyone makes it.

Its a harrowing look into the future. What makes it slightly more edgy is that this isn't a distant future. This could happen tomorrow.

The story is also a great look at the human psyche. There are many interesting characters and many twists in the plot. We see how people act and react in various situations - some of which aren't for the faint of heart.

Its not all doom and gloom though! There is a lot of action, plenty of surprises and some twists that will make you think twice. The story never lulls and you won't be able to put it down until you find out how things turn out.

A thoroughly enjoyable read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying!, 29 Jun. 2013
Radiojock (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
What would it be like if you opened your phone one day, and nothing happened? How long could you last without the Internet? Strangely enough, I can remember the days of not being instantly connected, but these days, we've become so reliant on computers that the story which unfolds between these pages could become a frightening reality. We read of a group of people who are suddenly thrown into a fight for life during an intensely cold winter in New York. The fight for survival is brought horribly alive. If it ever came to that, I would not survive. Brilliantly written. Much more real than most horror stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyberstorm: Modern sci-fi at its immersive best, 13 Mar. 2013
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
I didn't really know what to expect when I started to read `Cyberstorm'. I did suspect the writing would be superb as I'd been very impressed indeed with the writing in `The Atopia Chronicles'. What particularly impressed me with the `Chronicles' was the attention to detail with which scenarios were described which delivered a feel of a wrap-around reality in what was a wholly imagined universe. This sense of a well-imagined and detailed reality is surely what every author strives for. I have found very few authors can achieve the level of believability which was evidenced in Matthew Mather's first book. So, I was happy to find this same attention to detail combined with assured plot-pacing continues in `Cyberstorm'.

When I was a teenager I fell in love with a particular sci-fi concept, that of a civilisation gone wrong where the survivors of a world-wide disaster attempt to find the basics required to survive in a world brought to its knees. So, I was pleased to find myself immersed in such a scenario and the immediacy of the action caught me and carried me along with it. The key word in my opinion in regard to both works is `immersive'. This I put down firstly to the significant descriptive powers of the author and secondly his in-depth knowledge of the subject matter, the current technologies which our modern world can now hardly do without. The threats to the skein of our technological membrane has never been greater than now. So this book is highly current and relevant. It is firmly based on reality and takes us into places which could become all too real given just a few random factors.

`Cyberstorm' has every bit of the attention to detail that made `The Atopia Chronicles' such an immersive read for me and I would have no hesitation in recommending it as a first-class page-turner that, if you think deeply about the issues involved, may frighten you in almost equal measure to entertaining you. We live in the same world as described by Matthew Mather here. Our increasing reliance on the myriad diverse technologies which run our world and which constantly inform, guide and keep us safe mean we are all the more vulnerable in the event of their failure. The cyber storm described so well here, could, in our lifetimes, become an all too devastating reality. Get some excellent advance pointers here about just what you may face... and how you might just survive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Technological dependence, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Disturbing exposee of how quickly civilisation can degrade despite the goodwill of most people. Puts the 'internet of things' in a new light.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 16 July 2014
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read. Maybe there is hope for us after all. Well, not all of us. And remember, if you don't pay for a product, you are the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend - really good book and totally possible in todays world. will watch out for more books from the author in future

4.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
A truly gripping read and a haunting insight into the human psyche. I'm looking forward to reading Mathers other books already.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cyberstorm, 16 Aug. 2014
Mr. T. Kennedy "Maybole1599" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
This was an easy read and I enjoyed it although the ending was a little weak. It has all the makings of a blockbuster movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. it's one you can't put down but are sorry when you get to the end. I recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good...worth a read..., 30 Dec. 2014
M S B (Kendal, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Good read, a little slow in parts but stick with it, it's worth it. The story is well thought out and clearly researched...

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 18 | Next ›