on 25 February 2014
very good book for teenage girls like me,I really enjoyed this book and would read it again I just wish they could make it a bit longer so she could talk about her long lost family member. but over all it is a very good book
on 9 August 2015
My 13 year old daughter is reading the book now & I love to watch her laughing so much. She says that any teenage girl would relate to the character and every girl of her age should read this book. I guess I'll be the next one to read it!
on 2 January 2014
It's amazing book so funny there should be a second one I love how she other reacts on everything its very funny and romantic over 12+ if under it will be very rude and won't understand it but apart from that great very funny A*
on 15 January 2014
it was an amazing book and really funny you should definitely read it !
I would say that it is for children aged 10-13
on 17 July 2013
When I received this book for review I read the blurb and thought it was the sort of book I probably wouldn’t have automatically picked up to read but it sounded like it could be really funny. I therefore didn’t start reading the book with many expectations at all.

To begin with I wasn’t sure whether I was going to get on with the book. It’s written in a diary format which is something I really enjoy, but I was switching rapidly back and forward between finding Hattie entertaining and infuriating. Once I got to grips with her I realised there was no way I was going to stop reading the book, I did care about what happened and I wanted to find out how Hattie’s year went.

The real grit of the book is Hattie’s quest to discover who her biological father is. She has the difficult situation of not knowing who he is yet having a stepfather who has been in her life for almost all of it and who she loves dearly. She has a real sense of conflict because as wonderful as her stepfather is she can’t help wondering about her biological father – the fact her mother is so reluctant to tell her about him only adds to the intrigue and wonder.

Hattie is a lively character, throughout the book I found at times I laughed with her, at times I wanted to give her a hug and at times I wanted to shake her! She’s a 14 year old girl (for most of the book) and I think she’s a pretty accurate representation of this – she’s suitably inward looking and self-invested! Her two friends, Weird Jen and Dimple are highly entertaining, the three of them together make for a great trio.

The real strength of the book for me was in some of the supporting characters. I loved Goose, the boy next door, and Hattie’s grandmother in particular. I felt at times that Hattie’s mother got a bit of a raw deal but this was probably very realistic in the circumstances.

By the end of it I enjoyed this book and was satisfied by the ending. There were a few surprises scattered throughout the book which were pleasing to discover. I think this book will be really popular with its intended audience.
on 2 January 2014
I got this for my daughter for Christmas, and she says it's fantastic. She's not a massive reader, but it's written in diary format so she's not overwhelmed by it, and has been laughing away whilst reading it.
on 11 June 2014
this book was really entertaining I would recommend it to preteens to teens who hates reading like me.
I absolutely hated reading but this book was so interesting and funny that at some points I couldn't keep
my eyes off it ! I'd definitely recommend this book as it is surely genius!
on 12 April 2014
I actually laughed out loud when she finds out about MGK but at the same time I felt like crying, this book is a great read and I'm 11 and I like sad books and this is a comedy and a sad story all in one
on 24 February 2013
Boys, friendships, family stuff - all the drama of the early teen years is here in Hattie's diary. I enjoyed this and found myself snorting and laughing out loud more than once (much to the surprise of some nice bus passengers...). It's worth noting that the author is also the writer of TV's 'My Mad Fat Diary', but this is pitched much younger than the series.

Hattie is a typical 14 year old with normal 14 year old worries. She's trying to figure out who she is and where she fits in and for Hattie, this poses a particular difficulty. She's never known her father and sets out to do some detective work and figure out what's in her genes. That is, if she can fit it in around trying to date and generally navigate the social minefield that is being 14.

This diary-style novel tracks a whole year of Hattie's life and I greatly enjoyed getting to know her, her friends and her family. Her writing style is hyperbolic, full of capitals and dramatic statements but she is over-the-top in an endearing and naive way. I grew quite fond of her, and I defy anyone to read this and not be charmed by her.

Characterisation is definitely a strength here, which is no mean feat considering it's entirely presented as a diary so it's heavily filtered through the lens of Hattie's point of view. It takes real skill to present a whole novel this way and to maintain interest, and Rae Earl makes it look easy. I loved Hattie's Gran in particular - she was definitely responsible for some of my embarrassing public laughter.

The plot, with its various strands of family detection, romantic endeavours, social hierarchies and getting through school, is bright and breezy and zips along nicely. Hattie does deal with real-world problems but it's all very light and frothy and non-threatening, with a hearty dose of humour.

Overall, I enjoyed this and would definitely recommend it for its target 11+ audience. My 14 yr old was certainly drawn to it.
on 3 August 2014
The book starts off quite slowly, but stick with it. When you get a bit further on the writing comes alive. It's funny, clever and exactly how a 14 year old girl would write it. I should know, I am one. The format takes a bit of getting used to, but overall a good fun read, perfect for on holiday.