4.0 out of 5 stars clean as a whistle
Published on 13 May 2013 by SBno1

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for small areas
We have a 6 year old boy in our house, and a fairly light coloured carpet which has taken a battering over the years, as you can imagine. We are always trying different products to try and help keep the carpet clean and in good condition, and haven't found one we are 100% happy with yet. Hence, when I saw this product I was keen to try it out.

This product...
Published 23 months ago by Stracs

4.0 out of 5 stars clean as a whistle, 13 May 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You would be forgiven for thinking this was a rubbish item as the brush, when fully assembled, looks and feels flimsy and cheap. However, this isn't meant to brush the entire households' carpets, but for smaller areas of high traffic eg steps 1 and 2 of the stairs, the bit of carpet right in front of the main house door etc. The problem is that it cleans so well, that the rest of the carpet starts to look a bit dirtier than before and you quickly fall into the trap of wanting to clean a bit more, then a bit more until you run out of product.

It would also be good to keep for when you have occasional mishaps or when someone walks in with shoes covered in wet mud or something that should have been picked up by a responsible dog owner!

The diagram on the box would suggest that you just push the brush forward and leave a nice clean carpet behind you - a little misleading. Firstly you need to give the can a good shake, then work in the foam, leave to dry and vacuum up. It is mainly for soiled carpets, if the carpet is stained (especialy if it is an old dried stain), then this may not get it out completely and you may need other Vanish products.

I have a light carpet that is 18 months old and was starting to show a dark area around the front door, this cleaned the carpet up nicely. I recommended this to a relative with a much older carpet and whilst this cleaned the front door area, it then showed-up the rest of the carpet as being slightly soiled too. That being said, it won't be long before its blends in!

In all it is a good product to have, but if your carpet is generally soiled throughout and likely to show up when you have cleaned a small area, you just may be better off renting a carpet cleaner from the local supermarket and doing to whole carpet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for small areas, 21 Jun. 2013
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This product isn't massively different to the usual can of Vanish that you quirt, run into the carpet, leave and vacuum off. I always found that product problematic though, as I suffer from arthritis so having to get down on my knees and scrub is painful for me. I tried this as it comes with a device which allows you to attach a can of foam to a handle, enabling you to use the foam and scrub it into the carpet without getting down on your knees. The foam is then meant to bring the dirt to the surface so that it can be easily vacuumed away.

As with the usual Vanish foam the product did work, but not as well as I hoped. The carpet looked a bit cleaner but you could definitely till see the marks on it, even with multiple uses (though perhaps this wouldn't be as noticeable on a darker carpet). I also found it quite hard work using this contraption on a larger area of floor, which is what I was given the impression I could do by the marketing of this product. My living room is not massive but I still struggled to cover a large area with this. Overall, this is still a spot cleaner and nothing more, which is not what I expected from the product, and indeed could prove expensive if you were trying to use the foam over a large area. The product is ok in the absence of anything better on the market, but if I find something similar I would definitely switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, 3 May 2013
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently moved into a house with cream carpets which mark easily in areas of high wear e.g. just in front of the sofas, between kitchen & sitting room. As the product description mentions hallways, staircases and doorways I was expecting to see a worthwhile improvement. There are two types of carpet in our house. There was greater evidence of cleaning on the hall carpet - a wool carpet with a textured finish a bit like sisal, although I was a little wary of using the brush too vigorously for fear it would damage the texture. There wasn't a great deal of improvement on the other carpet - a thick pile pure wool carpet.

First the good things: somewhat surprisingly, given that the tubes are very slim, the handle fits together very well and feels secure. The trigger to dispense the foam is properly responsive too although no matter how brief the press on the trigger, the amount of foam produced was always far more than I needed and half of it ended up on top of the brush. It is rather annoying that you have to detach the cleaner bottle from the unit occasionally to shake the bottle. I did wonder whether it might be just as easy to use the foam without the brush part, using a small brush separately.

The major issue for me, though, is the foam which doesn't seem capable of completely shifting even light staining. This rather surprised me as, although I have never used Vanish carpet cleaner before, I have a battalion of other Vanish products which all work. I had hoped that this machine would mean I would have to get out my Vax cleaner less frequently but it is not to be. This product can cope with light staining but isn't suitable for deep cleaning and is certainly no substitute for a professional clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - I was amazed at how effective it was, 23 May 2013
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really didn't expect much from this product and was simply gobsmacked at how effective it was.
I requested it because I have a pure wool rug that I have been trying to get cleaned locally for over year. Everyone I have asked has done that sucking-in-air-over-their-teeth thing and then quoted a price that was more than the rug cost when I bought it.

It's not a particularly special piece - I'm just fond of it and it was filthy. When I saw this advertised I thought "Sod it - I'm just going to have a go myself" and I did. I cleaned it in two halves and I've uploaded a photo to show the difference that just one application made. I eventually gave it two applications all over and 3 on some of the stains - but I do stress it was filthy - the original warm brown beige of the background had turned a grubby grey. I estimate that there is enough foam left to do several other rugs or my lounge carpet.

The brush thing clipped together easily and worked perfectly. it IS really important to shake it well before you use it though. (I forgot once - it makes a mess).

Just a tip - Personally I found that depressing the trigger as I pulled the brush back towards me and then rubbing the foam into the carpet on the forwards stroke worked best for me.

Also one astonishing thing was how good the brush was - i removed a LOAD and really I mean a lot of cat hair form the brush each time I cleaned it and my cat has been dead for 8 years now - which I expect means I need to replace my vacuum cleaner - but it was impressive how deep the brush got into the pile.

I recommend it highly

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money........, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit 600 ml (Grocery)
I would not buy this kit if I had known how overpriced and underwhelming it is. I could have purchased a similar brush to that which was supplied at a much cheaper price. The brush supplied did not hold the cannister of carpet cleaner so I ended up spraying the carpet manually and using the unimpressive brush to massage it into the carpet. The cleaner itself is good although there are other equally good cleaning products on the market. Save your money. Buy brush and cannister of carpet shampoo separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Mar. 2014
Mr. Gordon Gitsham (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit 600 ml (Grocery)
I love this product, it gets used all the time to remove marks from my cream carpets. The only criticism I would make is that the handle feels as if it could snap when applying pressure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanish carpet cleaner, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit 600 ml (Grocery)
It was bought because of the name= it was certainly useful with the brush that was included = a very good cleaner = would recommend getting the brush as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a complete waste of money, 22 July 2014
DO NOT BUY THIS

Even if you are lucky enough to be able to get the canister to fit in the cheap brush contraption - squeezing the trigger does not release any foam at all! What a complete waste of money ! twenty five quid for a nasty plastic brush with a silly thin long handle that with any considerable pressure would probably snap . Buy the foam by all means but save yourself £20 and buy a normal scrubbing brush.

This product is the complete pits

4.0 out of 5 stars Good . . . but, 12 May 2013
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Complete with a brush applicator this has almost all you need to clean your carpet (the bit you need to supply being a vacuum cleaner). The brush applicator needs to be assembled, which simply entails putting the handle together, fitting the brush head and inserting the spray can of cleaner. To clean the carpet is is just a case of brushing away while giving a regular squeeze of the trigger on the handle to release the foam cleaner from the spray can.

In practice it is straight forward and fairly quick, but it does require some physical effort. Stubborn spots need quite a bit of brushing, the problem for me (at 6ft) is that the handle of the brush is far too short; I had to work with my back bent over ninety degrees if I was to hold the handle with two hands - and it needs two hands, Vanish really need to provide another two handle sections for it to be a comfortable length. After cleaning one room I had worked up quite a sweat and had an aching back.

Information on the pack could be a lot better. I could not find anywhere information about coverage or the rate of application (that is not to say the information is not there, but that I could not find it. I do wish that they would provide the information and instructions without all the gimmicky graphics, and all in one place). I found that there was just enough to clean the carpet of a room 3m x 5m (about 12ft x 16ft), and at this price it works out rather expensive, although next time one would need to buy just the canister of foam cleaner which at the moment is about £5, which compares well with other products.

As for effectiveness, it did do a good job. I have used other carpet cleaners and of those Natural and Clean Dry Carpet Cleaner 500 g gives this one a good run for its money. Both need a good deal of brushing to be effective, and while the Natural and Clean leaves a good deal of powder to vacuum away after, I think I prefer it over this; although for speed the Vanish is quicker and less bother. However, a last word, I do like the smell, not a sweet flowery perfume but a rather manly scent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Vanish Easy Clean Carpet Cleaning Kit 600 ml (Grocery)
I have a beige carpet, granddaughter came along after carpet purchased this is just what is needed to keep it clean with out big cleaning bills