5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!
Published 6 months ago by Mr C

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Enough
I had this connected to a Samsung TV and have had it for nearly a month and watched TV, Blurays, played xBox through it and also just played music through it.

Published 5 months ago by David

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sony HT-CT260H 2.1 Channel Virtual Surround Sound Bar for TV with Wireless Subwoofer and HDMI Connection (Electronics)
Bought this to complement a Sony LED TV - which being of the ultra-thin variety had rubbish inbuilt sound. The difference that this soundbar has made is immense! Easy to set up (single optical connection in my case) with the sub-woofer automatically connecting via a wireless link meant 15 minutes setup start to finish (and 5 of that was getting it out of the packaging!). Haven't explored bluetooth capabilities yet, but confident that all will be well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 3 Feb 2014
Worked straight out of box
Sound quality great easy to use, could do with more tone adjustemt
First class product would recommend to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 21 Feb 2014
I was initially a bit apprehensive looking at the negative reviews here, but went ahead anyway. I have found the sound and reliability excellent, and very adjustable. I noted two problems people seemed to be having - the subwoofer fading in and out, and difficulty in HDMI connection. I haven't had the subwoofer issue, but then it is in line of sight about two or three metres from the bar. I imagine if it was blocked by a wall, the wireless signal might not be strong enough. Now initially, I had a problem with the HDMI, but found it was the CABLE. You need a GOOD quality, high speed cable, and you must use the TV's ARC HDMI socket, else expect problems. Some thought the sound was too bassy, well the subwoofer itself can be made quieter, and then the bass itself lowered - you can eliminate bass completely that way, but why would you? It's a great rich sound, with a cinema experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont be put off by the lukewarm reviews, 11 April 2014
I bought the sony soundbar as I didn't have the funds the buy the sonos playbar and the sonos sub so I went for this and am very happy I did, it connected to my panasonic viera straight away without any problems and the sound is fantastic. I am very happy with the soundbar and the sub woofer and I am contemplating buying another for the bedroom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Enough, 28 Jan 2014

I was assured that the TV being a different brand would not be an issue - however a quick look on Google and you will find many forums of people trying to find advice on how to get this sound bar to work with various different brands of TVs. So there definitely are compatibility issues with some features. The Samsung TV I have did work BUT not all the time! I connected the Samsung bluray player directly to the sound bar and then connected the TV to the other HDMI port. However to make it work I also had to connect the TV using the optical cable too - This only leaves one analog input which quite frankly was annoying as I hoped to connect my Apple TV to this sound bar so that I could play my music wirelessly. This set up lets you use your TV's controllers to control the sound bar :) however as stated above this did not always work and you have to go find the sound bar controller, turn it off and on again and then 8/10 starts working again.

HDMI pass through did not work! So you cannot play Blurays through your TV without the sound bar turned on which is not an immediate issue but late at night when others in the house are sleeping you definitely don't want that bass kicking in so does cause problems. Oh and do not be fooled by their "Night Mode" it does not do enough.

Bass is too loud on all its pre-set settings so that when people are talking without anything else happening they sound odd - certainly not clear and certainly not natural. During action scenes and loud musical parts the the amount of bass is purely subjective - I like bass so I liked the amount that there was - However the quality is obvious in the plain a ordinary scenes of films and TV programs - and to be honest I do not think they have got the bass balance right.

The only pre-set that works is Stereo - all the others muffle the sound while trying to create fake surround sound with only 2speakers in front of you. This is most obvious when people are just talking as they are much quieter than any other scene with music or gun fire etc so that you have to continuously change the audio up and down. The only other solution is to crank it up so that you can hear dialog clearly and brace yourself for explosive sound for any other scene - however if your wife like mine doesn't like gun fights to sound like they are actually happening in the room with you then this won't work.

As mentioned in other reviews the wireless bass definitely drops in and out! Which is frankly a good enough reason not to buy the sound bar. I asked one of the employees at our local Tesco direct and he said their sound bar also dropped out a lot over the 5months or so they had it out.

I main issue with the wireless sub is that when you just playing music you can clearly tell in some of the songs that there is a very minor but clearly audible delay between the bass and the sound bar which for anyone who likes music is completely unacceptable.

When its working perfectly - compared to just the TVs speakers - it is amazing but there are too many times its not working perfectly and to be honest for the price I expected much much more. Needless to say I'm returning mine and considering buying a plan old 2.1 system like this one: Samsung HT-F5200 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-F5200-Channel-Blu-ray-Cinema/dp/B00BWKB4FM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 2 Jun 2014
Works out the box. Easy to set up. Great sound. No complaints. The World Cup is going to sound so much better in my house this summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Unclutter the Sound System!, 21 April 2014
S. Bradnam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this to unclutter a Sony 5.1 home theatre system that I have been very happy with, but which is wire and cable central!! This does not disappoint. Couple of wires between the bar and TV and that is it. Sound is rich and immersive (and as good as my previous one quite frankly) and wireless sub-woofer is excellent, needing only power - mine is about 8 feet from the bar and works a treat. Sets up very easy from the box, and Amazon price/delivery is spot on. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 14 Mar 2014
Connected to Tv easily using the supplied fibre optic cable. Super sound compared to just the tv. Super Woofer switches off if there is no bass, this confused me at first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hissing 'White' Noise through Left Channel, 25 Oct 2013
I returned the original soundbar due to a hissing noise coming from the left channel, which appeared after a few minutes, but never on a cold start.

On the replacement, the same noise was apparent, on the left channel of the speaker.

The noise did Not get louder when increasing volume, however at low volumes, the noise actually impaired my ability to hear any sound!

The noise was present on both soundbars through HDMI (ARC), Optical & Bluetooth.

To dismiss any suggestion that I am hearing something in my own head... even my wife commented on the noise; someone who doesn't mind listening to audio though the TV (No offence intended!)

-----

On the speaker itself, it's well made, looks great, and sounds superb for the price (when working)... if only it worked properly...

I will be returning mine for a refund.

I STRONGLY suggest listening to this first (Sony Store perhaps?) and listen to the difference between the left and right channels - will be difficult in very noisy environment, but easy to spot the noise.

(ALSO, after speaking to Sony customer support, they have acknowledged there have been faults in both of my units, and suggested repair/replacement. I will be replacing for an LG or Panasonic).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!, 26 Sep 2013
"I have just bought one of these and I love it. It looks great in my living room and the sound is fantastic. It's hard to believe that something so slim can produce such a big noise! Brilliant."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›